Canada Serving Canada.

WATERLOO - Pulled over for not having a front plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WATERLOO - Pulled over for not having a front plate

I guess it had to happen eventually, but I never would've expected the cop who pulled me over to be so serious. The reason I was pulled over was bec my front plate wasn't on. Then he questioned me about why I wasn't wearing my glasses. Though on my license it says that it is required for me to wear glasses, but I have 0.25 vision on both eye, and my optometrist even said "You don't have perfect eye-sight, you COULD get some glasses but u don't really need them." So then the cop asks me where I live, and I told him my address, which was less than 1km away from where I was pulled over, and he said he can't let me drive and that my car needs to be towed. I mean...WTF??? So I asked if I could call a friend who lives nearby to drive my car home for me. He agreed to that, but decided to write me two tickets. One for not having my front plate and the other for not wearing my glasses. $110 each...MAN....sigh...

Any advice guys? I know both ticket are inexcusable, but man, he was pressing me so hard. He said if he catches me again without my glasses he'll give me a court date. I'm thinking of not paying these two tickets and go with the trial option hoping that he won't show. These are my first tickets, never actually been pulled over before, since I usually drive by the law. For those who are experienced, any input is greatly appreciated. Thnx for hearing me vent guys.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man what an *** that cop was!!! I've gotten plenty of those no front plate tickets and all i ever pay is $10 to get it signed off at a police station, and another $10 dollars at court! Over $1000 bucks is rediculous!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 AM
ouchhh.....depending on how old you are, cops do get jealous by looking a ur car

Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.... maybe someone else pi$$ed him off b4 he got to you.

If you don't really need glasses... why is it on your licence????
FWIW...
I'd get documentation from your optometrist & petition to have the condition removed.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I would definately take the 2nd ticket (re: glasses) to court. That just sounds absurd if you have such good vision and you really do not require glasses. Hopefully he does show and he can see how foolish that/he is.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wear your glasses?

Old 12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
FWIW...
I'd get documentation from your optometrist & petition to have the condition removed.
+1. If you do not require glasses while driving, that stipulation shouldn't be on your license. If you do require them, you should be wearing them.

As for the front license plate, just pay the ticket and move on. I know it is a fair amount of coin, but you knew fully well that what you were doing was illegal. Just suck it up and pay it. I don't understand why people do something they know is wrong, and when they get caught they try and get out of paying the penalty.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Sorry to hear that! I was driving around most of the summer without a front plate as well in Waterloo. Guess I'll be attaching it next summer. Waterloo cops are totally brutal!

You should definitely fight the ticket. There is always the chance that he will not show. Most of the time the judge will at least reduce the amount. What do you have to lose? The worst that could happen is that you have to pay.

Since we are in Canada, you can always ask for a court date and demand that it is in French. Lvining in Ontario, they do not have the people or resources to do this so they ususally throw out the case. If they do have a French speaking judge, then again, what do you have to lose?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
wow what a fu*kin A**

Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Sorry to hear about your troubles.... maybe someone else pi$$ed him off b4 he got to you.

FWIW...
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
+1. If you do not require glasses while driving, that stipulation shouldn't be on your license. If you do require them, you should be wearing them.

As for the front license plate, just pay the ticket and move on. I know it is a fair amount of coin, but you knew fully well that what you were doing was illegal. Just suck it up and pay it. I don't understand why people do something they know is wrong, and when they get caught they try and get out of paying the penalty.
Hard to argue with that Shane.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
What an effin *****... You can fight them both. For the glasses I'd get a note from my doctor that clearly states I don't need glasses but they can be helpful. As for the front plate you can always try I brought my car like that and the bumper had no holes from the dealer to attatch one (it's worked a couple of times for me).
Good luck!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rain1119
I guess it had to happen eventually, but I never would've expected the cop who pulled me over to be so serious. The reason I was pulled over was bec my front plate wasn't on. Then he questioned me about why I wasn't wearing my glasses. Though on my license it says that it is required for me to wear glasses, but I have 0.25 vision on both eye, and my optometrist even said "You don't have perfect eye-sight, you COULD get some glasses but u don't really need them." So then the cop asks me where I live, and I told him my address, which was less than 1km away from where I was pulled over, and he said he can't let me drive and that my car needs to be towed. I mean...WTF??? So I asked if I could call a friend who lives nearby to drive my car home for me. He agreed to that, but decided to write me two tickets. One for not having my front plate and the other for not wearing my glasses. $110 each...MAN....sigh...

Any advice guys? I know both ticket are inexcusable, but man, he was pressing me so hard. He said if he catches me again without my glasses he'll give me a court date. I'm thinking of not paying these two tickets and go with the trial option hoping that he won't show. These are my first tickets, never actually been pulled over before, since I usually drive by the law. For those who are experienced, any input is greatly appreciated. Thnx for hearing me vent guys.
Sorry to hear of your problems bro......As Ian says, the cop may have been in a bad mood from another less cooperative driver b4 you.....unfortunate.

It seems that there's some confusion as to whether you actually need glasses or not. If it says you must drive with them, then the cop must enforce that ........ and you're liable for a fine....but if in fact you don't need to wear them then that stipulation must be removed from your licence.
That shouldn't be difficult to do with a support letter from your optomitrist, which can be read by the court. (and used to change your licence at the DMV)
I would think it's still at the judge's discretion to dismiss that ticket tho.
Perhaps he'd be a little nice than the cop and do you a favour.

The front licence plate is a hard and fast rule too, but will probably only be ticketed if it were in combination with something else......
If you explained to the judge that the affixing bracket had recently broken, and you hadn't had a chance to fix it yet, he may dismiss that one too, but that's a tossup too.......

If it were me, I'd get both things sorted out and then go into the court and explain that both issues were remedied, and could he dismiss both charges.

Pointts (ticket busters) will cost you $200-$400 so since neither ticket will incur points (I think), it won't be cost effective to get them to rep. you.

G/L

C.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Put the plate on. Take a picture. Show it to the Judge. Tell him (in French if you want)your previous bracket fell/broke off when you left your parking spot. Or, your brother in law busted it and was in process of gluing it together hoping you would never find out. Or you found it when you went back to where you last parked. Went right out and bought a new one. So sorry. My neighbour has used all of the excuses for his Benz in the last year. All worked and he still has no front plate. He imported it from the US March, 1990 convertible.
Someone stole it. Some might tell yoy to out and get a replacement set of plates $20 I think to substantiate your story about someone taking your plate. Get discovery so you can see the notes the officer made. If he did not write it down I believe he can't contradict you.
GL
PS
If you want to try the French route but can't speak it ... get someone to translate for you. It worked for Woody Allen in Bannannas

Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by whatacar
If you want to try the French route but can't speak it ... get someone to translate for you. It worked for Woody Allen in Bannannas
LOL Sam..... why am I not surprised that you're a Woody fan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WATERLOO - Pulled over for not having a front plate