Quebec City - Summer road trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Quebec City - Summer road trip

Hey guys...........
I was wondering if the Tail is *really* what everone wants to do this year???

In a few personal discussions, some have mentioned the distance.
Looking at this realistically, there are a few negatives.

- distance from some locations
- summer time... it will be a zoo (it's no longer a hidden gem)
- not much else in the area to do
- tighter coverage by the POPO

I just thought that the main goal is to get as many of us together as possible for a fun time.
(hopefully better than the Adirondacks )

There has to be lots of other destinations with some nice driving roads & things to do.

Any way just some food for thought..... feel free to chime in.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Hey guys...........
I was wondering if the Tail is *really* what everone wants to do this year???

In a few personal discussions, some have mentioned the distance.
Looking at this realistically, there are a few negatives.

- distance from some locations
- summer time... it will be a zoo (it's no longer a hidden gem)
- not much else in the area to do
- tighter coverage by the POPO

I just thought that the main goal is to get as many of us together as possible for a fun time.
(hopefully better than the Adirondacks )

There has to be lots of other destinations with some nice driving roads & things to do.

Any way just some food for thought..... feel free to chime in.
^^+1, I agree with you Ian, I know we have discussed this and it is a long way for our east coast members, and the main idea is to have a good turnout. I am open to someplace that would be a bit closer for all involved. Also, it does sound like it would be a zoo at the Tail because of it's gaining popularity.
Time for the thinking cap suggestions anyone.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, I have to agree. I would love to do the tail but it is an incredible distance that would mean at least a 2 week holiday (mostly driving) for us. I'm not ruling it out since we're game for almost anything but it would be way more practical to find something closer.

Ian, I totally agree with you on your list of other considerations - not positives. I'd like to find something that allows us to spend more driving time with others rather than by ourselves getting somewhere.

We would love to do Newfoundland East Coast (St. Johns) but realize that's probably way too far for all our Ontario friends. What about Quebec? Distance wise it works however I don't know anything about the roads and so on there.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Guys, I have to agree. I would love to do the tail but it is an incredible distance that would mean at least a 2 week holiday (mostly driving) for us. I'm not ruling it out since we're game for almost anything but it would be way more practical to find something closer.

Ian, I totally agree with you on your list of other considerations - not positives. I'd like to find something that allows us to spend more driving time with others rather than by ourselves getting somewhere.

We would love to do Newfoundland East Coast (St. Johns) but realize that's probably way too far for all our Ontario friends. What about Quebec? Distance wise it works however I don't know anything about the roads and so on there.
I'm heading East again in the spring........just like we did in the fall of '05, tho this time I plan on an 'M' ride.... -- I can't get enough of the east coast...there's so much more for me to see.
I really need to put some miles on the M -- hopefully my back holds out.

I'm also game for a summer trip to Quebec maybe somewhere along the St. Lawrence, or Gaspe, or whatever....to meet our eastern friends...... I'll probably go from there further east to N.S.

For me there's nothing firm yet, tho I plan on tripping east in late April/early May if all goes well here at home.

C.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Msedanman
I'm heading East again in the spring........just like we did in the fall of '05, tho this time I plan on an 'M' ride.... -- I can't get enough of the east coast...there's so much more for me to see.
I really need to put some miles on the M -- hopefully my back holds out.

I'm also game for a summer trip to Quebec maybe somewhere along the St. Lawrence, or Gaspe, or whatever....to meet our eastern friends...... I'll probably go from there further east to N.S.

For me there's nothing firm yet, tho I plan on tripping east in late April/early May if all goes well here at home.

C.
We'll enjoy seeing you again Colin and especially in the M this time.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
O.F. Administrator
We'll enjoy seeing you again Colin and especially in the M this time.
That happy thought, Deane, will help me get thru the cold, snowy winter.. if it ever arrives.....
Can't wait for spring....

C.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Rated M

^ sure thing. The cold has arrived here today. -10 all day and very windy -20+ w/ windchill

Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
^ sure thing. The cold has arrived here today. -10 all day and very windy -20+ w/ windchill
Yikes, that is frosty compared to last week huh?

Not so chilly here (-2) but a little wind (10kph)...but again, compared to last week it feels like 20 below.

Still not bad tho....I can't complain...

(poor Tom (ABQ_G35) in Albuquerque, tho, is getting snowed on again. I told him to come up here for a rest and some good weather. )

C.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Brian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woah. I'm interested. I'd have to figure out how long it would take me to get there, but I've never visited Canada, and this would be as good an excuse as any!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Brian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone give me an address so I can plug it into Google Maps?
Thx

Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Guys, I have to agree. ............
What about Quebec? Distance wise it works however I don't know anything about the roads and so on there.
I was thinking the same thing Deane.....
Quebec City is a beautiful spot.... A little bit of Europe in our own back yard.
Lots to do & see & good eats
I'm sure there's some nice drives along the North shore StLawrence

Old 12-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by AthensBlueG
Thx
That would be great if you wanted to come!!!
Just enter Quebec City...
It's just about straight north for you.

Attached Thumbnails Quebec City - Summer road trip-map-1.gif  

Last edited by InTgr8r; 12-29-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by AthensBlueG
Thx
Well let's see......from where I live in southern Ontario, I'd pass thru/near Quebec city (PQ), St. John New Brunswick, Moncton New Brunswick, then into Nova Scotia, near Halifax and Lunenburg.
There are myriad of towns and villages on the way.

From where you are on the east coast, the trip up to Montreal, Quebec, or into New Brunswick or Nova Scotia wouldn't be too far at all.

Colin.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It would be incredibly easy for me to convince my wife to go to Quebec City, she's been dying to see it for years. Me? I'll drive anywhere. Her parents have a home on the shores of Lake Champlain too, so it'd be right on our way back, which is a bonus.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree Deane, I won't rule it out but attending the Tail of the Dragon would be doubtful at best for me. With the distance involved and a newborn tagging along, I can only say that I would be doubtful......for that long of trip at least.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quebec City - Summer road trip