Canada Serving Canada.

An Interesting Day **Warning, It Could Be Long**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007 | 04:31 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
An Interesting Day **Warning, It Could Be Long**

Well I had to go into the office today to test a customer design in the lab. I am very rarely in the office on Fridays since I work a lot from home, so I am not sure if this was a blessing in disguise or not.

I was in the lab verifying a network design scenario when my Manager came in as asked if I had some time to chat. Anytime this happens you automatically think the worst and wonder what the heck you did wrong. He brought me into one of our board rooms and proceeded to tell me that another group within the company wants me to be their Operations Manager. I've been a Network Engineer for pretty much my entire career since University, so managing an entire staff and the group's activities is quite foreign to me.

I've been slightly contemplating a career move the last couple of months (which is why my Manager came to me), but really never gave it serious thought. This positions commands no more responsibility than I have now, just a different type of responsibility. Instead of being responsible for a specific Network Design for a customer, I would be responsible for an entire staff, it's financial operations, and report directly to the CEO. (Yikes )

This position offers more money, which is always nice, but hardly a deciding factor for me. I have Paternity leave scheduled for the entire month of July (which I am sooooooooo looking forward to) but if I took this position, I wouldn't be able to take my Paternity leave........which is crappy. My wife and I were planning on two trips during July......the Quebec City trip and a trip to Cape Breton. Since I've got accomodations booked for QC, I told them that I would be taking this trip regardless. Unfortunately, my Cape Breton trip would need to be squashed.

I threw out some salary figures at them this morning that I want but I will have to wait and see what they come back with on Monday. A decision will need to be made by the end of day on Tuesday so we'll see what happens.

Anyways, I didn't post this looking for help with my decision since no one can decide by me, but I just figured I would share my day with you. I've been home all afternoon working in the sun on my patio and I am actually considering taking this position if they meet my requirements. We'll see what happens the first of next week I guess.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 06-15-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2007 | 04:36 PM
Sounds like a very important decision for your future Shane. Wish you luck on your decision

Old 06-15-2007 | 04:40 PM
Premier Member
good luck which ever way you go, seems like this promotion was long over due to you a nice pay bump is a nice also and the fact nothing else or very little more is asked from you when you get this, is nice too

Good Luck Once Agn Man

Joe

Last edited by Scootch; 06-15-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2007 | 05:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Congrats Shane, whichever way you decide to go. If it were me I'd take the job; but I'm a big fan of upward mobility.

Old 06-15-2007 | 05:24 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Great opportunity, Shane...... kudos....and g/l with the decision......You do what's best for you and your family....

Missed trips can be made up for another time if necessary .....

C.

Old 06-15-2007 | 05:38 PM
Always nice to have choices. If you are considering stepping out of your comfort zone and into new challenges, this seems like a good opportunity to do that, especially given the fact that they are specifically requesting your services (look at you, Mr. Popularity!) The Pat leave bit may be hard to take, but maybe you can negotiate something, either sooner or later, to still have that time.

I made the transition from technical to management quite a while back, and it's still a challenge -- no less difficult, just different. Anyhoo, best of luck with your decision.

Old 06-15-2007 | 06:04 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Good luck with the decision Shane. That is a real compliment to be approached from a different area of the company to take on new challenge. It definitely sounds like more responsibility to me confirmed by a potential pay raise. If you turn it down it may may it difficult to move up with the company in the future unless you have a clear acceptable reason.

You're at the right age to really work on upward mobility if that's what you aspire to. Managing people and having P&L responsibility takes a different kind of skill than project management but I know you're more than capable of handling that.

I agree with SwivelMan that you may be able to negotiate the time off you want, perhaps at a later mutually acceptable date.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 06-15-2007 | 06:58 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Thanks guys. I am not 100% sure what I will decide yet, however a change in career might be refreshing and bring about a new set of challenges. I think I would be a little nervous considering I've been in a technical Engineering role my entire career.........but I guess if you aren't stepping outside your comfort zone, you aren't learning anything new. In any case, I was quite humbled to be approached for this position considering its position in the company in Saint John. We'll see what the first of the week brings.

Old 06-15-2007 | 07:55 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Thanks guys. I am not 100% sure what I will decide yet, however a change in career might be refreshing and bring about a new set of challenges. I think I would be a little nervous considering I've been in a technical Engineering role my entire career.........but I guess if you aren't stepping outside your comfort zone, you aren't learning anything new. In any case, I was quite humbled to be approached for this position considering its position in the company in Saint John. We'll see what the first of the week brings.
You'll make the decision that's right for you. Either way it's a real compliment to your abilities and the confidence and value the company places in you.

G/L

Old 06-15-2007 | 09:03 PM
Congratulations on the offer. It's quite a compliment no matter what you decide. I'd bet that your time off could be negotiated for if they really want you for the position. I was in a similar spot a few years ago and took the job with few regrets. I now am the boss of 3 others who are my parents age and others who are all older than me. It's a little awkward when I have to "have a little talk" or do the yearly evaluations. If I had not taken the job, one of them would have. I would have left before being under them.

Old 06-15-2007 | 09:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RBull
You'll make the decision that's right for you. Either way it's a real compliment to your abilities and the confidence and value the company places in you.

G/L
^+1...
Sounds like quite a day Shane..

Old 06-15-2007 | 11:20 PM
Life's full of choices, go with what feels right to you and your famiy.
Nice to know you're well thought of by more than just us

Old 06-18-2007 | 09:28 AM
PDT
That's great news. Really shows reinforces that upper management views you as an asset, not as a number!

Good luck with everything and hopefully everything works out to what you expect it to be and more!

Old 06-18-2007 | 09:34 AM
Congrats on the offer, Shane. Best of luck with the decision and all that follows.

Old 06-18-2007 | 11:08 AM
Let us know how this turns out today, Shane!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An Interesting Day **Warning, It Could Be Long**