Canada Serving Canada.

Corvette C6 Z51 for Toronto year round driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette C6 Z51 for Toronto year round driving?

Hi guys.

I need some input, because I might be nuts.

I have an 2006 Avalon for my work vehicle. I have a G35 coupe for a daily driver for my girl. I also have a 96 Continental (on its last legs, will be gone real soon).

I'm seriously considering moving jobs (85% sure i'm going at this point). I used to drive 40,000 kms a year, all across Southern Ontario with my Avalon (when i flew I rent). The new job, is pretty much just GTA, and probably almost urban.

I've looked at my options for cars. Since the company will supply me with an allowance, there are no restrictions for what type of car I need to lease. I always had restrictions (must be 4 doors, no luxury nameplates, no V8, no convertible, automatic).

I really don't want to spend more than 1100-1200 with taxes a month on a lease. Prefer to spend in the 800 range (Tax purposes). I want a coupe, it has to look sharp, be fun to drive, and honestly, make me look trustworthy. I need it for August/September (i can rent for a month if I need to)

I'm looking at:

- G37 S (not feeling the look, or the weight, plus I have a G35 coupe, it might get boring fast)
- 335i (not feeling the price for what you get concept, don't like the body roll associated with it when I drove it).
- GT500 if i can find one reasonable markup, but man, I'm concerned with the gas consumption for driving about 25-30,000 km a year. And the Mustang might make me not look too professional.
- BMW M Z4 Coupe, except its pricey, and I think it might be too small and cramped for daily driving (need space for laptop and stuff.)
- 350Z, but I feel its getting long in the tooth for the design.
- I do have a thing for the new Silverado, so its an outside choice.

I love the Corvette C6 with the Z51. The interior I feel is an upgrade from the G, its a beautiful car, and it drives great and doesn't kill my back. What do you think, with a set of winters, do you think it's possible to get away with it? I figure on super snowy days, I stay in, or, drive my girl to work, and take my car.

I'm so torn. I have a huge headache about this.

Please, have I missed something?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah... that's a tough one.
If I had to go back to one car, IDK what I'd do.
I'll be staying with 2 vehicles.

Good luck with your decision.

BTW... there's more room in the Z4M than you think...
Through the summer it's my DD for work.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You will DIE if you drive that vette in the winter. Even if you have the best snow tires. Those ginormous rear tires are terrible in the snow.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
If I had to buy one car that served all my needs it would be an SRT-8 Charger. I can carry my family and all their luggage, drive it all year around(with snows), rides comfortable, looks great, handles well and 425HP doesn't hurt....of course I am biased because I work for Chrysler.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You will DIE if you drive that vette in the winter. Even if you have the best snow tires. Those ginormous rear tires are terrible in the snow.
You are very very right. If I just stayed and worked downtown, I think I'd do it, but there will be lots of Mississauga to Pickering type driving on the highway. man. This is starting to really chap my ***.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by prog35
If I had to buy one car that served all my needs it would be an SRT-8 Charger. I can carry my family and all their luggage, drive it all year around(with snows), rides comfortable, looks great, handles well and 425HP doesn't hurt....of course I am biased because I work for Chrysler.
I thought about the SRT-8. I even thought about the Crossfire SRT-6 because they're going out the door stupidly cheap. I just want a manual car.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Yeah... that's a tough one.
If I had to go back to one car, IDK what I'd do.
I'll be staying with 2 vehicles.

Good luck with your decision.

BTW... there's more room in the Z4M than you think...
Through the summer it's my DD for work.

Thanks for the luck. I think I need to go test drive it again. Time to go setup appointments!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the Mercedes E-Class? Or the new C-Class?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by hullio
How about the Mercedes E-Class? Or the new C-Class?
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've never really been a fan of driving a Benz. It wouldn't really mesh with my personality. Smokey burnouts in a non AMG Benz would just look a little weird. Sort of, hmmm.... I took out dad's car and I am going for a joy ride. But that's just me. I don't think I'll ever drive Benz, unless its a SL class, and I've long retired.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
How about a CTS-V?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by akrus
How about a CTS-V?
I definitely thought about that, but the 2008 CTS redesign is right around the corner, with supposedly a new V coming out with 500-600hp. Not my cup of tea to get a new car, and in 6 months a redesign is out.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by link91
I definitely thought about that, but the 2008 CTS redesign is right around the corner, with supposedly a new V coming out with 500-600hp. Not my cup of tea to get a new car, and in 6 months a redesign is out.
You should be able to pick up a current model at a great rate and 400bhp plus 6 speed, should be entertaining, but I completely understand where you're coming from.

With regards to the 08 CTS, I've seen the new one on the road and it certainly looks better than the current one.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by akrus
You should be able to pick up a current model at a great rate and 400bhp plus 6 speed, should be entertaining, but I completely understand where you're coming from.

With regards to the 08 CTS, I've seen the new one on the road and it certainly looks better than the current one.
oooohhhh. I forget about end of model incentives on specialty cars with the CTS-V. HEADACHES! HEADACHES!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Ok guys, so I posted in another thread that I saw the G37 at Sherway Gardens and was fairly impressed.

I bought the G Coupe without even driving one. I test drove the sedan, looked at the coupe, read about the suspension and more HP, saw the car in the showroom and said "done!".

With the G37, I saw the car, liked it, saw the interior, liked it, the price hasn't changed too much, but I'm balking at pulling the trigger. I love my 04 so much, and all the mags say that the car is a better car than the previous generation, except it lost some of its rawness, and it got heavier.

I'll have to test drive it. I met a salesrep from Oakville named Shane, and he said August 20th they'll have cars to drive. Counting down. If I take this job, then I'll be renting a car for a bit just to make a decision.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 AM
good choice. It's sad to say, but if you want the "Trustworthy" look, g35/7c and 335i are about the only choices on your list imo.

i own a 350z and i don't think people would trust me if i drove up to someones office in a Z :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Z51 for Toronto year round driving?