Canada Serving Canada.

Dealer wouldn't replace the headunit for me..what can i do...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer wouldn't replace the headunit for me..what can i do...

hello guys.. so i did some research regarding my driver side speaker acting up when playing CDs and it turns out that it is the headunit that's causing the problem.

(to be exact, it is some ribbon connection inside the headunit) and the only way to fix it is to have it replaced by the dealer....

so i called the Markham infiniti dealer and the service advisor Bobby Chan there told me that if the speaker is working when i bring my car in. then they wouldn't be able to do anything other than giving me my car back as is..

but the thing is.... this problem is not consistent so i cant guaarantee that the speaker won't work when my car is there.....

given that i have a typical 9 to 5 fulltime.. it'd be rather difficult and stupid for me to take a day off, bring my car in, and find out that the stereo is working by then..... do you guys have any suggestions on what i should do to this issue...?

i know calling another dealer is an option here but i think it is probably Infiniti's standard rule not to replace anything when it is not broken at their presence...

G35 is a great car to drive but honestly i am so sick and tired of all the small issues like windows motor acting up, rattling rearview mirror, rattling rear window finishers, blah blah blha.... it seems like my G has all the little prblems listed on the TSBs....now i am starting to think buyinig my G was prolly a bad decision to begin with.....

i came from a Honda Civic Coupe 2002 (which i bougth it brand new) and honestly that car gave me way less hazzles than my G brings me.. ...(the only thing that i changed in 5 years is a set of washed-out rotors and brake pads..

where for my G, i bought it in May 2007 and since then i have been to dealers at least 20 times and have changed

auto dimming rearview mirror
fixed the rattling from my window finisher
rear end links
sticking seat adjust switch
passenger side windows motor
illuminate light in passenger side seat heater
driver seat assembly
trunk plate
and now my stereo is acting up

unlike all of you car enthusiasts, i am just an average sports car fan who loves beautiful cars with good performance...but on the other side i also want my car to be low-maintainance and less problematic so that going to car dealership doen't become my regular weekend activity as of now

i have been babying my car to death since day 1 i got my car. Within the frist week after i got my car, i did the engine oil change (Mobil1 Syntehtic, of couse), rear differential oil change, radiator change, coolant change, braking oil change, airfilter, oil filter change, basically everything that's recommended on their premium schedule..and just weeks ago i bought a new set of blizzak and did the alignment right after, and i keep my car in my garage all time ... and it is still giving me these much problems...

yes it is a beautiful car that'd make alot of people turning their heads (which is the exact reason why i bought this car and i REALLY love the look).. but putting all other parameters in the equation, i would say this car is totally not worth the money and there is a reason why Lexus is still the dominant brand in both Japan and North America (if i am not wrong).....now the only reason i dont want to sell my car right now is only because i dont want to lose a few thousand bucks due to the deppreciation, but defnitely NOT because i love the car the way i did before owning it...in conclusion, this is just a bad car...

not trying to pick up a fight here.. jsut my rants and dissapointment after 6 onths of owning a G35

Last edited by Smartidiot; 11-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
That is too bad that you have had that many issues with it. By the sounds of things you have most of the problems ironed out.
Concerning your stereo, I don't know any Dealer of any make car that would replace something just on hearsay. They have to see a problem before they can fix it. It is so difficult with any intermittent problem .
Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
thanks Sir!

However, aside from the car itself, i must say this is the best of the best forum i have ever seen..you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable even to a total car noob like me (believe it or not i don't even know radiator flush and coolant replcement actually means the same service 6 months ago..:P)...

i can see the BIG difference between Civic car owners and Infiniti car owners... ( i can't remember seeing how many STREET ROAD KILL and bad-mouthing to each other in Civic forums)......

i just really hope that this is the last time i am going to the dealer because of a warranty issue, i have taken 4 vacation days this year because of my car already...

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear your problems, but once you have your issues resolved, I'm sure you'll love every moment of driving the G. I went through the same thing as you (not as bad), I spent lots of time getting my G to just the way I want. Unfortunately for picky people like myself, the list of problems almost doubles vs the average car owner.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I definitely feel for you. We've replaced the head unit on the car about 4 times in 3 years. Problem just started again.

This will most likely be my last Infiniti. Its unfortunate, because I like this community, and I love the car, but the service end of things (And I've been to 4 different dealers, none of them can offer consistent service), and all the nagging problems is driving me up the wall.

Boy, I'm in bad mood today or something!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Part of a good experience with a car is when the Dealership treats you fairly, if that's not there it's no fun with the car. That is what makes or breaks a good ownership experience.
I have had great dealings with Guelph Infiniti and another place I would consider is Oakville Infiniti where people say they have been treated well.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear that Smartidiot. I agree with GEE35X that most of your problems have been covered. G/L with the head unit.

My car has been in a lot of times too (by far the most of any import I've owned) but I still enjoy it.