Canada Serving Canada.

Shift Lock on AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 07:00 PM
|
Shift Lock on AT?

Looks like I did **** something up; haha.

Well I finished removing the center console and reinstalled it; but now when I shift gears; it makes a terrible noise. Like the plastic is getting caught in something or another; it also has decreased my manumatic upshift room so I am thinking I may have something stuck. But now I am unable to get the car in Neutral with the shiftlock button. I got it in N before by using a toothpick to push that button in; but now it doesn't sem to want to work. Anyone have any ideas for both this and what I probably effed up?

Old 01-17-2008 | 07:05 PM
When you reinstalled the center console, what gear were you in?

Try to reinstall it while the gear is in the Neutral position.

Make sure you are on flat ground when you do it.

Old 01-17-2008 | 07:06 PM
It doesn't sound like you screwed anything up, just misaligned the shift lever with the console.

Old 01-17-2008 | 07:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by 35bills
When you reinstalled the center console, what gear were you in?

Try to reinstall it while the gear is in the Neutral position.

Make sure you are on flat ground when you do it.
The car was in Neutral up until I got the shift boot back on it. I think you are right about it being misaligned; I can see the imprint on the console; since I can't lift up the center console anymore (shift lock won't work); I just lifted it up and pushed the console back and the shift ring to where it was before. I will try tommorow to see if it resolved the issue; too cold to go out and try it again; haha.

Any suggestions on why the shift lock won't work anymore though? I have the ebrake pressed in, brake pedal depressed and nothing. I am using 3 toothpicks to push it in; worked last time since my screw driver would not fit. Can I turn off the car with it being in N?

Old 01-17-2008 | 10:27 PM
You should have a tool that came with the car for the shift lock release.

I can't think of what would be wrong other than misalignment.

Yes you can shut the car down in Neutral.
Actually you should shut the car off first, then move the shifter into Neutral.

Old 01-17-2008 | 11:10 PM
|

I saw the tool in the owner's manual; but couldn't seem to find it in my trunk. It was also ~ -35C outside; so I didn't exactly spend alot of time searching for it; haha. Toothpicks worked for me the first time; but can't seem to do it again.

Drove it after i realigned it properly (just having it tipped; not the proper way); reminded me of shifting in our old Corsica; with the same plastic shift gate. I can't think of anything else as well; I barely touched anything as well. Will check it out when I have time; I don't think driving it like it is right now is causing damage; if I keep it out of tiptronic mode; I should be fine.

Old 01-17-2008 | 11:18 PM
Its the black piece that has the little orange color piece you have to make it click into its place. Before you install the finish piece, attach the black piece to the piece then install it. Make sure you have the orange piece signaling the gear you are in at the time of installation. It doesnt matter what gear you install it on as long as the orange piece matches the gear you left it at..... I hope it makes sense

Old 01-28-2008 | 05:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by Da-G-SpoT
Its the black piece that has the little orange color piece you have to make it click into its place. Before you install the finish piece, attach the black piece to the piece then install it. Make sure you have the orange piece signaling the gear you are in at the time of installation. It doesnt matter what gear you install it on as long as the orange piece matches the gear you left it at..... I hope it makes sense
Not sure what exactly you mean. I got my center console open up right now and I can't see any orange piece. Can you plz take a picture of what piece it is?

Old 01-28-2008 | 05:19 PM
|

Either can I; but I think I know the problem. When I snap my center console down; I put the front part into the clips first than snap the back. When ever I do this; the shift console (the display with the gear) moves forward. And of course I can't upshift anymore; but have perfect downshifts...

I have tried to put in the back clips first;but the wiring harnesses won't let me do that. Does anyone know the proper way to installing back the center console? The damn thing pops up all the time now...

Old 01-28-2008 | 06:24 PM
|
Ah Finally Fixed it! The shift trim was loose and kept being yanked to the right when I tilted it to go down. I just held it to the left and installed it; works fine now.

Old 01-28-2008 | 06:52 PM
Old 01-28-2008 | 07:37 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Good job Asad.

Old 01-30-2008 | 03:05 PM
|
Ha thanks; I am quite G35/car illiterate compared to you guys. Now I wonder what would happen if I actually tried to do something with the engine; haha.

Old 01-30-2008 | 03:21 PM
Thumbs up

Nice job, don't worry, I'm the same ... if ever something goes wrong, we'll need to get together, since your the only other Winnipeg G owner I know on this forum .. hehe

Old 01-30-2008 | 03:21 PM
Thumbs up

Nice job, don't worry, I'm the same ... if ever something goes wrong, we'll need to get together, since your the only other Winnipeg G owner I know on this forum .. hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shift Lock on AT?