Canada Serving Canada.

Anybody watching JETSTREAM on Discovery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Ok I just clicked on the link to watch an episode and I heard two things that already made up my mind that I probably won't ever watch this show. Two things being..

"They've made all the rookie mistakes"

---------the officer turns to the female pilot and says
"this is no place for emotions"

These are rookie pilots with little experience, this isn't top tier flying, it's like making us watch a high school hockey game when the Leafs vs Canucks are on TV ('Nucks FTW BTW=). Now if these were some bad a$$ aces that have flown numerous missions and have mastered their craft, that would be a show worth watching. Buncha rookies makin rookie mistakes makes for a weak show IMO. And not to mention the token female which is a must have for every show due to today's equal gender movement. I'm all for equality, but there are some places women just do not belong, and I mean that in the most non sexist way possible. They're just physically not up to par with the men in this here situation.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^^ Okaaaaay. That's one opinion. I take it you are a fighter pilot?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow Adon, that's quite a trashing. I see it very differently. It's a show about becoming a military fighter pilot and not a reality show with stunt aerobatic pilots.

These are highly motivated people with a passion for flying and some of the countries next aces. They've qualified for and are attending one of the top flight schools in the world.

From the one episode I've seen it's very interesting and down to earth.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I guess I was expecting something different, you guys are right about the show though and what it is. But I read Top Gun in the description and I expected bad a$$ pilots who know exactly what they're doing, you know... experts, and not rookies. You guys should watch "Dogfights" on the History channel, now those are hardcore pilots, they been in AND seen some shlt in their day.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What makes you think we don't watch Dogfights? I enjoy that as well. My father was air force so I have a particular interest in military flying.

Two completely different shows btw.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks interesting....
I'm definitely going to check out the next show.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Yup, I watch Dogfights, too. Great show.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adon
But I read Top Gun in the description and I expected bad a$$ pilots who know exactly what they're doing, you know... experts, and not rookies.
That's a valid point.

But, I'm personally tired of watching Top Gun bad *** pilots. There are enough of those types of shows that places those pilots on some sort of God like Xtreme pedestal, you know, they say lots of catch phrases like "turn and burn baby", and then they struggle to talk in technical language trying to use all sorts of military vernacular when being interviewed.

I like that Jetstream shows the rookie side of things, that these guys are regular Joes and not some programmed super-warrior. It's a refreshing change of pace. There's enough sensationalized dramatized garbage on TV as it is (and that includes the freaking news).

--

I'm a fan of Dogfights as well.