Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Who needs ToD... eh

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Smile Mark your calendars

OK.... since I haven't seen any contrary comments;

DATES FOR CRUISE:
Sat.June 28 to Sun. July 6th (or longer if you have more time)

Thanks to Shane's & Dean's invites...
- June 28th - day in St John/Rothesay ?
- July 4th - day in Halifax/Dartmouth ?

comments?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, we'll probably head out on the 26th & arrive St.John Fri. night 27th.
& right now, the following weekend (5 & 6th) to travel back.
(working on a couple of extra days to travel back Mon Tues.... pending)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DATES
Name -------------- preferred -------------- no can do

1. inTgr8r (I&P) - anytime end of June & July - not August
2. RBull (D&H) - June 28 onward - no problems foreseen
3. AthensBlueG - June 28th through 4th of July weekend or the following week - no problems foreseen
4. GEE35X (W&K) - June 28 to july 7th
5. Garnet Canuck (S&A&A) - AFAIK right now, our Summer is wide open.

Also, if anyone wants to check out Saint John and surrounding area on the way, I'd be more than happy to show you guys around some of the sights. I could cook you guys some fresh lobster or have a big BBQ. Just a thought at least.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 03-11-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^sounds great to me Ian. Once we wrap that up we should work on a rough itinerary for the trip. I expect accommodation bookings will be harder to get than our Gaspe run. Perhaps I can collaborate with our past tour director Mr. Shane.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by RBull
^sounds great to me Ian. Once we wrap that up we should work on a rough itinerary for the trip. I expect accommodation bookings will be harder to get than our Gaspe run. Perhaps I can collaborate with our past tour director Mr. Shane.
Sounds good....
IDK what you guys think, but it may be possible to book something somewhat central in CB then day trip from there?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds good Ian, We could leave even earlier but must be back by July 7th since Karen is back to work on the 7th (since she is off work for 6 weeks before that)

Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Rated M

Wayne, assuming you are all coming to Halifax when would you want to leave travel home?

Shouldn't be a problem to day trip in Cape Breton. The entire Cabot Trail loop is about 276 km. Perhaps we could spend a night or two at one spot and a night or two at another, and day trip from each. It's about 560 kms from Saint John to Baddeck (rough start of trail). From Baddeck back to Halifax is about 345 km.

From here H and I can meet you folks in Truro on either the 29th or 30th depending on your Saint John plans and what works. We could be back to Halifax on the 3rd or 4th as required for the deadlines back home. Everyone chime in with some more thoughts. We're flexible on this end.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Wayne, assuming you are all coming to Halifax when would you want to leave travel home?

Shouldn't be a problem to day trip in Cape Breton. The entire Cabot Trail loop is about 276 km. Perhaps we could spend a night or two at one spot and a night or two at another, and day trip from each. It's about 560 kms from Saint John to Baddeck (rough start of trail). From Baddeck back to Halifax is about 345 km.

From here H and I can meet you folks in Truro on either the 29th or 30th depending on your Saint John plans and what works. We could be back to Halifax on the 3rd or 4th as required for the deadlines back home. Everyone chime in with some more thoughts. We're flexible on this end.
Deane, according to Mapquest it is 1990 kms (1238 miles) from Kincardine to Dartmouth, so that would equate to at least a 22 hour drive. So in all honesty I don't think we can make it to Halifax after the run since Karen must be back to work by the 7th. Probably too far too travel in 2 days especially for Karen after getting her knee replacement. We did get to spend a few days in Halifax last time we were there and really enjoyed it, but missed out on St John due to pouring rains.
This trip we will probably stay in St John and tour for a couple days before we leave for the Cape Breton run.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Deane we're definitely in for Halifax this trip & would likely have to head back by Saturday (maybe Sunday).

Wayne... are you sure you don't want to end @ Halifax?
It's not far off the trail & about the same distance home.
We could get there for the Thursday & you guys could head out on Friday????
(just wondering)

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Deane, according to Mapquest it is 1990 kms (1238 miles) from Kincardine to Dartmouth, so that would equate to at least a 22 hour drive. So in all honesty I don't think we can make it to Halifax after the run since Karen must be back to work by the 7th. Probably too far too travel in 2 days especially for Karen after getting her knee replacement. We did get to spend a few days in Halifax last time we were there and really enjoyed it, but missed out on St John due to pouring rains.
This trip we will probably stay in St John and tour for a couple days before we leave for the Cape Breton run.
I understand. It would definitely be too long to comfortably do in a two day drive home. FYI, it's about 87km from my doorstep to the Truro turn off. I just measured it last night on our way back from Summerside!

Hopefully we'll be blessed with good weather overall. June is a very wet time here lately but I think we're due for great start to summer this year.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Sounds good Ian, We could leave even earlier but must be back by July 7th since Karen is back to work on the 7th (since she is off work for 6 weeks before that)
IDK for sure, but I think Thursday is the soonest we can leave.
It's a little easier to tack onto the end instead of the beginning for us..... we'll see.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Rated M

Great Ian.

My sense is that would work well on the timing. 3-4 days or so on the trail is likely plenty for a good tour and driving fix and a part day to get back here. If we met in Truro on the Saturday and traveled to CB that day we could spend Sun, Mon, Tues & Wed in CB and travel back here Thursday am. Or if meeting in Truro on Sun we can cut back a day in CB.

Truro to my house is about exactly 50 minutes traveling at the 110 limit. Halifax is a few minutes more.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Looks like I've got some catching up to do in this thread when I get home tonight.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier, Anissa's Grandmother lives in Cape Breton (Englishtown to be exact) and I have never met her before. I definitely want to stop along the way and meet her and spend a little time with her. Of course I don't expect you guys to wait, so I will have to catch up to you all. I just wouldn't want to be in the neighbourhood and not stop and meet her. Plus, she hasn't seen Ava since last summer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Summer GDriver meet - Cape Breton