Canada Serving Canada.

How are you dealing with this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:09 PM
|
How are you dealing with this?

Hey guys since we got a huge dumping of snow in the GTA there has been some huge snow banks. Just today I was pulling out on to a major street and I had an impossible time telling if there were any oncoming traffic. I eventually backed up to get a better view and pulled on the street quickly. When I got to work today, I decided to run a search and I found this, quite startling.

Toronto's Not So Hidden Danger: 6 Foot High Snow Banks
Monday March 10, 2008

The huge storm that brought as much as 40 centimetres of snow to your streets on the weekend is long gone, but the danger it left behind may be with us for a while. While you've likely gotten rid of all that mess in your driveway, it's where you and the plows have put it all that's causing new concerns and potentially leaving you and your family at risk.

The snow banks are so high, you wouldn't be surprised to see the late Sir Edmund Hillary trying to climb one of them and plant a flag. Many are well over 6 feet or more and if you live on a side street - plowed or not - they represent a huge hazard for drivers and pedestrians alike.

Motorists who can't see around them are forced to sneak and peek, edging their cars out into the road ever so slightly and hoping they can make their turns onto a main street while not really being sure what's coming.

Many pedestrians have abandoned the snow-covered sidewalks which are impassable in some spots, walking on roads that have been squeezed by the endless flakes. And that's putting them in danger, too, as drivers try to navigate the narrows.

Children, who are off on March Break, can also run out unexpectedly leaving motorists hoping they can slam on the brakes on the still icy surfaces in time.

"This time of year, particularly during spring break, the number of pedestrians on our roadways increases exponentially," warns Sgt. Steve Reynolds. "Drivers need to be extra cautious."

But those behind the wheel are now being urged to be careful about something else - the TTC. Red Rocket personnel are angry that streetcars are being delayed or even stopped by drivers parking on their routes.

The extra snow is forcing people to park closer to the middle of the road, sometimes unknowingly impeding the progress of the electric trolleys, which are tethered to wires overhead and can't swerve around them.

And now they're getting tough on anyone who gets in their way, promising to tow you if you don't keep the route clear. The TTC admits there has to be a better way for the Better Way, but they haven't found one.

"So far on McCaul alone, we had about 13 vehicles in a matter of an hour and a half," complains TTC spokesman Mario Jurinic. They're asking you to park at least a foot and a half away from the rail or be on the hook for a tow and a ticket.

And it's not just the TTC that's dealing with the tight squeeze. A driver named Dave found himself boxed in by a stuck streetcar, leaving him no way to get his parked car out of the space he'd found.

"I just simply came here to park, and I guess because there's so much snow on this side here, I can't get right over," he moans. He's been there for more than half an hour and doesn't know how he'll escape.

Still, he remains resolute, preferring to take a positive view of his predicament. After all, we are talking about finding one of those rare parking spaces downtown. "I got this spot," he declares boldly, "and I'm keeping it."

The city intends to get to some of those high hills as soon as they can and they're hoping this week's coming warm-up will help them deflate the heights. For now, though, they're still trying to play catch-up as the clean-up from this latest blast of winter continues.

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:39 PM
Well I can't back out of the drive way anymore because I can't see whats coming down. I do a 3 point turn on my drive way and edge out slowly.

Old 03-11-2008 | 10:13 PM
I know exactly what you mean! Several times I backed up to check for on-coming traffic...It's getting really annoying and really scary

Old 03-11-2008 | 11:58 PM
On the streets in my neighbourhood to get to my house, the snow banks are so big the roads are bascially only 1 lane...its very annoying and a hazard to drivers.

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:00 AM
Wow I didn't know it is this bad back in Ontario.
Sorry to hear guys.

We are seeing the snow melting here in Alberta.
I can't wait for summer.

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:02 AM
|
Ha speaking of which, I went to visit a friend of mine after work, There is only one lane for majority of the side street where he lives. It's even worse when there are cars parked on the side along the streets.

Old 03-12-2008 | 07:29 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
This must be a real scary problem for a lot of people.
I'm fortunate that I don't normally have to deal with it....
The height of the F-150 is really appreciated as well.

Go easy & stay safe guys....

Old 03-12-2008 | 08:13 AM
good article.. u definitely have to drive with more vigilance. my street is pretty bad. what makes it worse is that it's a 40 zone but many are doing 80 in it, with an elementary school near by as well.

Old 03-12-2008 | 08:38 AM
can sympathize, while we didn't get quite as much as you torontonians, but have the same problems here. many streets you have to dig if you want to park. snow removal's been soooo slow after this storm, worse part is, they've had the no parking signs out since the morning after, and still haven't cleared, so even if you find a spot, you can't use it...

not to mention the fact that most roads are down a lane is making traffic miserable, and that some how makes drivers ignore stop signs.

Old 03-12-2008 | 09:25 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by pjames
can sympathize, while we didn't get quite as much as you torontonians, but have the same problems here. many streets you have to dig if you want to park. snow removal's been soooo slow after this storm.......
Ever start to dig & find a car already parked?

Old 03-12-2008 | 11:02 AM
how do I deal with it? i live in Vancouver; just finished a round of golf, outdoor detailing of the G to get ready for the G/350Z meet next weekend, went sailing, rode my bike out to UBC and back, walked along the beach (it's been a busy day)...yes, we do get some rain here and there, but I'll take that anyday over what you guys deal with back east! trust me though, we have our own problems on the road here, just not snow...

i suppose this wasn't very helpful, sorry, eh. keep safe out there guys, we don't need people getting in crackups. have there been many collisions as a result of these snow banks?

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:32 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Good article. Generally here there isn't the big volume of snow that stays to contend with.

Stay safe for those that deal with it through the winter.

Old 03-12-2008 | 01:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by hullio
I know exactly what you mean! Several times I backed up to check for on-coming traffic...It's getting really annoying and really scary
+1.......
C.

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
The height of the F-150 is really appreciated as well.
Maybe this is the answer, just get a big truck that can deal with anything that you throw at it.

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Prabu
Maybe this is the answer, just get a big truck that can deal with anything that you throw at it.
I took the car out yesterday afternoon & a couple of times it was scary merging out into traffic.