Canada Serving Canada.

Insurance outrage!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance outrage!!!

Hey guys a few weeks ago I ran into a minor accident. I was driving downtown and was in the left lane before a set of lights. Traffic was at a stand still and I need to merge into the right lane as the lane I was in was for Left turn. So as traffic inched up during a busy night in downtown Toronto, I proceeded to merge slowly into the left lane.

Now I noticed a lady probably in her late 20's and early 30's immediately try to cut me off by inching up fast to try and prevent me getting ahead of her. Since the traffic was barley moving she really couldn't move much. So seeing a small opening I slowly proceeded to inch my way into the lane.

When the light turned green the traffic started to move and thus I made my way into the lane, and BANG!!! Before you know it I see her right into my car scuffing it on the front right bumper. I was shocked because just before the hit I saw her making eye contact, and while the traffic was at a stand still she clearly saw me trying to move into the lane.

So right after she hit me, I stopped the car on the side and got out to inspect the damage. While I was doing that she started to take off after yelling out some rude remarks towards me. While she was trying to get away, my friend ran up to her and stopped her.

I walked over to ask her what just happened and all I got was profanity and hostility towards me and my friends. She then said that if I had signaled, she would have let me in, followed by more rude remarks. Thus my friend just advised we not get involved in any sort of arguments and just to call the cops (Bad mistake). After waiting 3 hours for the cops, they finally showed up and make us exchange information and let us go on our way.

The following day, I went to the collision report center and gave in a report and informed my insurance company. They informed me that that since I was merging into another lane that it was my fault, I was dumbfounded as I tried to explain to the rep that I was pretty much in the lane when she clipped my front end. To be clear I told him I was at a 45 degree angle in the lane with more than 3 1/4 of my car in the right lane already. Confused I got off the phone and told him that since there were only scuffmarks on my bumper and a minor scratched rim I really didn't need to make a claim.

Later I used a clay bar and was able to remove the scratch on the bumper. Today I got a call from the insurance company requesting more information on the accident, so I gave them a full explanation of what had happened, after explaining I was curious as to see if this would effect my rates, so I was transferred to another rep.

Quite frankly I was shocked and outraged, I was told that when I renew my policy my premium would go up by 2800 or so dollars, because since I was a 4 star driver and I had an at fault accident, I would start off with a 1 star rating. A sense of rage took over my body and I told the rep to have a good day and hung up.

I have been driving since I was 16 and had never had an accident, for 8 years I was driving with no issues till this B*$%^ hit my car. Now my question is should I claim to have my rims replaced because of the scratch, or will that affect my rates even more? Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Prabu; 04-18-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^my eyes hurt when I looked at this. If you had paragraphs maybe I could read it!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch...eye strain...owwww..

Prabu...re-edit your post so its easier to read.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
+1 too hard to read.
FWIW...
I'd copy & paste into Word to edit then paste it back.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
long story you got there...I read it...That's sucks on the beginning of the story and the ending...You should ask the insurance about the claim if you the rating would go down.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
i was kind of surprised at your outcome. this is why i hate insurance company's. any blemish on your record and they pretty much rape u on charges. u might as well have them pay for all damages if they are going to increase your rates like that.

i wasn't sure reading your statement.. but did she end up staying at the scene? i think in that situation.. it would have been easier if u just got her plate/make of car and let her flee. u could have gotten her for leaving the scene of the accident. there would have then been no question from the insurance company that u were not at fault for it.

sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM
never call insurance unless it's absolutely necessary,they'll nail you for anything.

and a good example of why no-fault insurance can be a good thing.

when your term is up for renewal, switch companies. simple as that.

good luck,

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems like you pulled a dick move in traffic and you didn't know not to report a claim for such little damage. When you go to change insurance companies, they will ask you if you have reported any claims in the last 3 or 5 years and you'll have to tell them about this one. Claims follow you around.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Insurance companies are nothing other than "legalized" theives. As soon as you report it to police, they have to report it to the insurance companies, even if you end up not making a claim. Good luck in any case.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would change companies, even with one claim it cannot go up too much.

I had the same problem with Farmer's and my rates went up, but then i got lucky since Farmer's has three sub-companies, i was able to change within the other one, and it worked out just fine.

I think our coverage went up and rates went down.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Sorry about the punctuation guys, It was quite late last night when I typed this out, and I was feeling a mixed bag of emotions. I took a few minutes to edit this eye sore and hope it helps.

As for the insurance company, I am with Meloche Monnex and have group insurance. I was paying about $4000 a year and now that will be going up to $6800 as I was quoted.

If I do switch insurance companies, and I don't make a claim with Meloche Monnex, do I have to report this to the new company?

Last edited by Prabu; 04-18-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Prabu
Sorry about the punctuation guys, It was quite late last night when I typed this out, and I was feeling a mixed bag of emotions. I took a few minutes to edit this eye sore and hope it helps.

As for the insurance company, I am with Meloche Monnex and have group insurance. I was paying about $4000 a year and now that will be going up to $6800 as I was quoted.

If I do switch insurance companies, and I don't make a claim with Meloche Monnex, do I have to report this to the new company?
Thanks... much easier to read.

WOW... those rates a nuts!!!
If there was no violation issued & you aren't making a claim... seems extreme IDK.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Something doesn't add up here. If you had a clean driving record prior to this accident, why were you paying $4000/year?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Well since 16 I was under my parents insurance as a second driver. I had only had insurance under my own name for about a year and a half. This is also supposed to be group insurance rates under my dads work. I feel so crappy, I am even considering selling my car as I cant justify paying this much for insurance, and with rising gas prices its just too overwhelming

Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Well since 16 I was under my parents insurance as a second driver. I had only had insurance under my own name for about a year and a half. This is also supposed to be group insurance rates under my dads work. I feel so crappy, I am even considering selling my car as I cant justify paying this much for insurance, and with rising gas prices its just too overwhelming
I couldn't justify $4000 let alone $6800.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Insurance outrage!!!