Canada Serving Canada.

Imported G35 From US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imported G35 From US

Hi Everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 2006 G35 Coupe, imported from the US. Its a black base model with the premium package. It was brought in from Ohio, and the import process was straightforward. Ohio requires front plates, so I didn't need to worry about getting a mounting bracket. I called Infiniti US and Canada and arranged to transfer the warranty. Surprisingly, Infiniti made the process really easy, all they wanted was a fax of the title and registration. The dealer also gave me temporary plates, which let me drive the car in the US. Make sure you follow the instructions at www.riv.ca, and I recommend using a customs broker to take care of the paper work at the border.

Once the car was across, the car just needed to have the lights setup for daytime running (cost $150 at my mechanic). The inspection at Canadian Tire was free and straightforward.

Make sure when you go to the license office you've got all your papers in order. They seem to be really short-tempered there (luckily I had everything). Paid the PST, paid for my plates, and now I'm off and running.

Now, I just need a set of 19" wheels, and i'm all done!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Cool info man, never knew people imported cars from us into canada. Any pix of your new G?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Locksmith
Cool info man, never knew people imported cars from us into canada. Any pix of your new G?
Yes, and many cars have been imported into the states in the past when the currency exchange made it favorable to do so.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
g35koupe - congratz on the new ride &

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the G

In Vancouver....it's not unusual for a lot owners to import from the US, save a lotta
I heard some Nissan dealerships import used 350's from the US

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the new ride, hope you won't get shafted on warranty work like my buddy is in Edmonton. He imported a 07 FX35 and they are telling him they can't look at for 3 months once they found out it's an american vehicle. He's talking to Infiniti Canada, but that doesn't look like it will help.
Just a heads up to people that are thinking of importing.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
just wondering, what was the price you got it for?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Because my car is technically an '06 model (arrived in '06 but sold in '07), Infiniti considers the car used, and has no issue transferring warranty. If the car is less than a year old, they still consider it new, which is probably why Infiniti is being annoying about the warranty on the '07 FX.

I got my car for $23000 + GST/PST and 6.1% duties, no other fees. The car had the premium package, and only 11,000 miles.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by g35koupe
Because my car is technically an '06 model (arrived in '06 but sold in '07), Infiniti considers the car used, and has no issue transferring warranty. If the car is less than a year old, they still consider it new, which is probably why Infiniti is being annoying about the warranty on the '07 FX.

I got my car for $23000 + GST/PST and 6.1% duties, no other fees. The car had the premium package, and only 11,000 miles.
wow GOOD price!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow, that's a really good price. 2 weeks ago, I paid about $32,000 for a 2006 DG G35 coupe 5AT premium package with 10,000 miles.

Prior to my purchase, I phone infiniti canada, and was told the waranty will apply.

Today, I just phone Ericksen Infiniti here in Edmonton to book an appointment, and was told "2 months waiting period" for US model cars.
This is after I told them I also have a 2004 FX35, and I have been their customer for the last few years...

Anyone have better experience with any other dealers in Canada ?

If this is the case, I will be selling both the G35 and the FX soon.

Patrick

Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickt888
Wow, that's a really good price. 2 weeks ago, I paid about $32,000 for a 2006 DG G35 coupe 5AT premium package with 10,000 miles.

Prior to my purchase, I phone infiniti canada, and was told the waranty will apply.

Today, I just phone Ericksen Infiniti here in Edmonton to book an appointment, and was told "2 months waiting period" for US model cars.
This is after I told them I also have a 2004 FX35, and I have been their customer for the last few years...

Patrick
Holy smokes that is no way to treat a customer.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:31 AM

Patrick
I don't think they do that b/c it is a US car. A lot of dealerships in Edmonton and Calgary are so busy with the work load that they don't have the resource for a faster services.

Unless you go there for warranty then I suggest trying nissan or another dealership for simple stuffs like oil change.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Patrick
Actually Erickson Nissan/infiniti has a unwritten policy to discriminate against American bought Nissan/Infiniti products for warrenty repairs or service work. With Erickson you will be put last in every catagory. As it was explained to me from the owner of Erickson. {Quote " If your taking money out of my pocket by buying in the USA, I'm going to make sure your requests for work are last in line from my paying customers, who do put money in my pocket" UnQuote}

I could kinda see his point.

However there is good news West End Nissan is American purchased vehicle friendly and will not discriminate against USA vehicles. I believe the last time I checked they even offer a aftermarket extended service warrenty contracts for USA purchased vehicles. My service contact person is Carl.

Check it out and see WEN has to say for themselves.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by SMarinoZR
Actually Erickson Nissan/infiniti has a unwritten policy to discriminate against American bought Nissan/Infiniti products for warrenty repairs or service work. With Erickson you will be put last in every catagory. As it was explained to me from the owner of Erickson. {Quote " If your taking money out of my pocket by buying in the USA, I'm going to make sure your requests for work are last in line from my paying customers, who do put money in my pocket" UnQuote}

I could kinda see his point.

However there is good news West End Nissan is American purchased vehicle friendly and will not discriminate against USA vehicles. I believe the last time I checked they even offer a aftermarket extended service warrenty contracts for USA purchased vehicles. My service contact person is Carl.

Check it out and see WEN has to say for themselves.
It makes sence if you dont want to buy from them they dont want to do service from you. Also buying parts from Erickson with a US car is a huge hassel as well they make a big deal out of it. They use the VIN to get part numbers and US VINs dont work is what I was told.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Now I am getting the message that if you bought your Nissan from another dealership that's not one of Erickson's, you will be treated the same way ?

By taking my car to Erickson for service, they do make money off my service don't they ? Everytime, in the last few years that I took my FX35 there for service, I did pay them. It's not like I got anything for free from those guys...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Imported G35 From US