Canada Serving Canada.

Dry Lawn Already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:53 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Dry Lawn Already

Ever since I got back from the Dominican Republic on the 16th of April, the weather in general has been fantastic. This has been probably one of the nicest springs I can remember in quite some time. Just taking a break and doing some stuff around the yard today, I noticed that parts of my lawn are burning out already. This has never happened before this time of year and typically never starts happening until well into July. I am not complaining, especially after the brutal winter we had......but it's just crazy the swings in the weather from year to year. Btw, it's currently 24.3C and sunny without a breath of wind.......just a gorgeous day.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
SRSLY???
That's surprising Shane.....
Ours is growing like a hay field... cutting it 2x a week

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:23 PM
Shane do you water your lawn at all? I know my mom had the same problem with her grass and she watered it like twice a week because we weren't getting a lot of rain here.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:35 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Yeah, seriously Ian. It's not burned all over, but there are a few large places on my back lawn that are getting fairly burned. I've just never seen that this time of year. Thankfully, it is supposed to rain here tomorrow.

Hi-Tech, I haven't watered my lawn yet this year since it's typically unnecessary this time of year. I usually never need to water my lawn until mid July'ish.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:42 PM
How much rain have you been getting?
Have you checked for grubs or chinch bugs( but they usually don't surface until June or July)?

Last edited by 35bills; 05-16-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2008 | 02:53 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by 35bills
How much rain have you been getting?
Have you checked for grubs or chinch bugs( but they usually don't surface until June or July)?
It has hardly rained at all Bill.....maybe two times since mid April. This has been a really dry spring so far and much warmer than normal as well. I haven't checked for chinch bugs, but I've never had an issue with them in the past. My parent's lawn gets hit hard from them every year but fortunately I've never had an problems with them.

Old 05-16-2008 | 04:21 PM
Heck mine is like Ian's, growing like a weed. I have been cutting it about every 3 days for the past few weeks.
As Bill says around here patches of dying lawn usually indicate grub infestations or later chinch bugs. My neighbors front lawn is completely gone and is back lawn is 50% gone. His is infested with grubs.

Old 05-16-2008 | 07:10 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
You're really getting the weather Shane. We were 19 or 20 today but on average it hasn't been too warm here. My lawn is quite weak this year. It seems dry and isn't growing fast, although far from being "burnt" from the sun. Our leaves on the trees are only start starting to peak out.

Once chinch hits one of your neighbouring lawns you'll usually have to spray for them every year since. That was my experience for 11 or 12 years in the last house and fortunately no problem in town. It's a bit early for them now. They usually love southerly exposure and the hot dry temps in another couple of months.

Old 05-17-2008 | 02:00 AM
Hey Shane are you sure it not Voles? My parents lawn got hit pretty bad this year; most of the lawn that was put in two years ago is all dead. We thought it was a lack of moisture or drainage issues; ended up being the voles who took habitat under the lawn for the winter...

Old 05-17-2008 | 03:07 AM
My backyard lawn is growing like weed, it's already more than a foot high. My front yard is almost dead and burnt out, strange....

Old 05-17-2008 | 08:27 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by XuperXero
My backyard lawn is growing like weed, it's already more than a foot high. My front yard is almost dead and burnt out, strange....
Grass is meant to be cut to approximately 3-4 inches in height. You might want to cut it unless you are growing a hayfield.

Old 05-17-2008 | 10:31 AM
Yeah, quick before you have to rent a swather.

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:46 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
You're really getting the weather Shane. We were 19 or 20 today but on average it hasn't been too warm here. My lawn is quite weak this year. It seems dry and isn't growing fast, although far from being "burnt" from the sun. Our leaves on the trees are only start starting to peak out.

Once chinch hits one of your neighbouring lawns you'll usually have to spray for them every year since. That was my experience for 11 or 12 years in the last house and fortunately no problem in town. It's a bit early for them now. They usually love southerly exposure and the hot dry temps in another couple of months.
Yeah, it's definitely due to lack of rain and warmer than normal weather. I was talking to the golf course superintendent this morning and he was telling me that they are dying for rain. I even heard on the news this morning that there are to be no campfires whatsoever in any campgrounds this long weekend. We are supposed to get rain today, but it hasn't started yet.

Old 05-17-2008 | 02:08 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yeah, it's definitely due to lack of rain and warmer than normal weather. I was talking to the golf course superintendent this morning and he was telling me that they are dying for rain. I even heard on the news this morning that there are to be no campfires whatsoever in any campgrounds this long weekend. We are supposed to get rain today, but it hasn't started yet.
Hope you get some rain then for campers, golfers and farmers sake.

It's been fairly dry here too with our rain only coming in little amounts. We've had a good amount today though however tomorrow's forecast changed from rain to sun and 17.

Old 05-17-2008 | 09:15 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
You should have saved some of that snow you had Shane.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dry Lawn Already