Canada Serving Canada.

Need Help - Hood hinges bending

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009 | 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by chalupa
looks like i'll have to go ***** out spraying wd-40...
Use a good spray lithium grease instead like 3-in-1 or CRC.

Old 05-03-2009 | 01:14 PM
Ive got this problem. Any idea on the dealership costs associated to change this?

Thanks

Old 05-04-2009 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by chalupa
i just had mine replaced under warranty. so there's no accessible point to lubricate them??? that's just ****ing retarded. looks like i'll have to go ***** out spraying wd-40...
Steve (at Simone's Performance) gave me some good advice on the whole G35 hinge issue. It's really important to look after the hinges cause he has seen lots of paint chipping on the fenders due to neglected hinge maintenance. I watched him use generous amounts of a spray lubricant (probably graphite grease??) and then spend a solid 5 minutes working the lubricant into the hinges by lifting the hood up and down. For a car that's seemingly so well built, the hinge issue is surely an "achilles heel". I wonder what the engineers were smoking when they figured this one out?

Old 05-04-2009 | 03:32 PM
It is going to take you several hours. It is easy to do, just takes some time.

Old 05-04-2009 | 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by philclement
Steve (at Simone's Performance) gave me some good advice on the whole G35 hinge issue. It's really important to look after the hinges cause he has seen lots of paint chipping on the fenders due to neglected hinge maintenance. I watched him use generous amounts of a spray lubricant (probably graphite grease??) and then spend a solid 5 minutes working the lubricant into the hinges by lifting the hood up and down. For a car that's seemingly so well built, the hinge issue is surely an "achilles heel". I wonder what the engineers were smoking when they figured this one out?
So from what you are saying, if the fender currently rubs with the hood when lifting/lowering the hood, all we need to do is lube the hinges and the problem will go away?

Old 05-04-2009 | 07:43 PM
Ha ha no. If the fender is rubbing now, the hinge is already bent. A little lube is not going to unbend them

Old 05-04-2009 | 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Ha ha no. If the fender is rubbing now, the hinge is already bent. A little lube is not going to unbend them
Hehe...I was hoping for a quick fix

Old 05-05-2009 | 09:16 AM
Obviously if you follow Steve's advice to maintain hinges, you're starting with a straight set. If the hood is already rubbing on the fenders, the hinges are already bent, and it's a little late for preventative maintenance. My point (and of course Steve's point) is these hinges are not very well designed - and with lack of maintenance, can cause expensive repairs to hinge mechanisms and paint jobs. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - or something like that.

Old 05-05-2009 | 09:25 AM
The dealer replaced mine under warranty recently while my car was in the body shop. I wasn't aware that there was a problem until they brought it up and volunteered to change them.

Old 05-05-2009 | 09:34 AM
Holy chit. I've never heard of this. I'll have to start lubing mine then. The hinges must be really crappy though, because our hoods are so damn light.

Old 05-07-2009 | 09:16 AM
Happens alot. Sadly. Very weak hinges.

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:04 AM
Back from the dead. Anyone know what these hinges go for locally? Anyone ever buy 3rd party hinges? I do not imagine them being much worse than the already poor quality OEM hinges. I think I am going to undertake this job as a weekend project. I do not like the fact however that the fender has to come off - something tells me I will break bolts and run into alignment issues...

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:01 AM
The hinges sell for about 100 dollars at the dealership.

I bought a set off a member that was parting out a totalled car for 30, but when they came, they were bent too. ha ha

Ended up just getting rid of the car and getting a G37

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:18 AM
Ended up just getting rid of the car and getting a G37
Now THAT is a great solution, haha!

Mine started to bend a little, just enough to rub, but a shot of lithium spray grease eased them up enough so they work fine. Reminds me, it's time to do it again.

Guys, don't use WD40, it's more a penetrant than a lubricant and it doesn't last. Get this stuff instead:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...m%2BGrease.jsp

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Now THAT is a great solution, haha!

Mine started to bend a little, just enough to rub, but a shot of lithium spray grease eased them up enough so they work fine. Reminds me, it's time to do it again.

Guys, don't use WD40, it's more a penetrant than a lubricant and it doesn't last. Get this stuff instead:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...m%2BGrease.jsp
Thanks for the tip. I am going to get myself a bottle of that stuff and hope for the best...worst case scenerio Ill need it anyways to lube up new hinges, if I absolutely have to get new ones (hopefully not, but it looks like I will).

A G37 would be a great solution, but the 370z is my next performance car (hopefully in a few years heh)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Hood hinges bending