Canada Serving Canada.

Chico where is your Olympic thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Chico where is your Olympic thread

Twice I've made lengthy replies and gotten the invalid thread message. Now I see it's gone.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Twice I've made lengthy replies and gotten the invalid thread message. Now I see it's gone.
Now Deane, are you imagining things again

There is a Black Hole around here and sometimes things get sucked into it and dissappear

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I see where it went.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 08-15-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Now Deane, are you imagining things again

There is a Black Hole around here and sometimes things get sucked into it and dissappear

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I see where it went.

I have an imagination but not about this!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd don't blame him for deleting that thread, it makes him look...

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I deleted it. I can see some people might take my comments a bit too personal. I'm not about to engage anyone on this board trying to explain or defend my comments. I speak my mind and just call it like I see it in the most diplomatic way that I can.

I'm tired of the excuses and lack of action from the athletes and the COC. Whatever the reason is, we (Canada) look terrible right now despite our wealth and endless know how. If we were not ready, then we should've stayed home rather than trying to explain to the world that's watching why we're failing.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Christian
I'd don't blame him for deleting that thread, it makes him look...
finish your sentence.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OLYMPIC CHARTER
Fundamental Principles of Olympism
1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of
body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a
way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example and respect for
universal fundamental ethical principles.
2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man,
with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.
3. The Olympic Movement is the concerted, organised, universal and permanent action, carried
out under the supreme authority of the IOC, of all individuals and entities who are inspired by
the values of Olympism. It covers the five continents. It reaches its peak with the bringing
together of the world’s athletes at the great sports festival, the Olympic Games. Its symbol is
five interlaced rings.
4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising
sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual
understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. The organisation, administration
and management of sport must be controlled by independent sports organisations.
5. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion,
politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.
6. Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter and
recognition by the IOC.
I don't understand Olympism to mean play to win or stay home.

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Christian
I don't understand Olympism to mean play to win or stay home.
I can see your point. But isn't winning part of the game? I'd just like to see our team win more often...that's all.

My comments are not meant to offend anyone, so take it for what it is...just a guy ranting on the web.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Chico
I deleted it. I can see some people might take my comments a bit too personal. I'm not about to engage anyone on this board trying to explain or defend my comments. I speak my mind and just call it like I see it in the most diplomatic way that I can.

I'm tired of the excuses and lack of action from the athletes and the COC. Whatever the reason is, we (Canada) look terrible right now despite our wealth and endless know how. If we were not ready, then we should've stayed home rather than trying to explain to the world that's watching why we're failing.
I'll respect that then and not respond to all of the things I can remember you said.

It is extremely disappointing and frustrating for most Canadians to watch our best not be good enough in the world theater.

IMHO, Canadian athletes that have achieved personal bests and set new Canadian records deserve to be congratulated for that accomplishment, regardless of their standing in the Olympics. They have put tremendous effort, time, sacrifice and talent into getting to that level. It has to to extremely frustrating and humbling to have done all that and not collect any hardware. The average Canadian cannot begin to understand or appreciate that unless they have been involved or participated in sport at a serious level.

The main reasons why it isn't getting us to the podium stems from weak infrastructure, poor athlete and coach funding, and little focus on activity and sports in our lives and especially with youth. Even many young children are sedentary and overweight and obsessed with electronic gadgetry. We've gotten fat and lazy so there is a small pool of athletes to draw from to compete internationally. Fro example our Olympic standards are actually so high that in so many track events we have no athletes competing since we have no athletes that can meet the requirements. At the Olympics we're only seeing the best of our best, and only in select best events.

It's my hope our performance in Beijing is a major wake up call to Canadians to get active, encourage youth to compete in sports and try and be their best physically rather than the sloths many have become. Parents and adults need to set examples and get in shape, be active in developing sport and encourage their children to participate. As Canadians we need to be willing to spend the money and have the patience it will take to build and do all of this.

It will take a paradigm shift in our thinking and actions in order to get us back at the top. It happened about 10 years in Australia and hopefully it can here. I can hardly wait until it happens.

Last edited by RBull; 08-15-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Chico
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
^^^^^Very well put Deane

Old 08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
^^^^^Very well put Deane
Thank you. It is an area I am fairly passionate about, although I have no children to have encouraged.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Rated M

I have to add it disappoints me greatly and actually embarrasses me to read in my paper and hear that Canadians think we should have stayed at home since we haven't won medals. Our front page headline yesterday read "they have Phelps, we have flops." That kind of thinking reminds me of a little child that takes their marbles and goes home because they're upset at not winning.Our Olympic athletes need our support and not unfair and unappreciative condemnation. IMHO, it's a defeatist attitude mostly stemming from ignorance from "arm chair quarterbacks", that understand little about our sports systems or what it takes to be high caliber.

It's not about being knocked down since everyone has that, it's about what you do afterwards.

The games aren't over yet. Go Canada.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Canada. Go.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
I have to add it disappoints me greatly and actually embarrasses me to read in my paper and hear that Canadians think we should have stayed at home since we haven't won medals. Our front page headline yesterday read "they have Phelps, we have flops." That kind of thinking reminds me of a little child that takes their marbles and goes home because they're upset at not winning.Our Olympic athletes need our support and not unfair and unappreciative condemnation. IMHO, it's a defeatist attitude mostly stemming from ignorance from "arm chair quarterbacks", that understand little about our sports systems or what it takes to be high caliber.

It's not about being knocked down since everyone has that, it's about what you do afterwards.

The games aren't over yet. Go Canada.
+1, Deane.....

Go Canada, and continue to hold your heads up high and try your best.

I must add here that usually our guys and gals play by the rules and are very much encouraged to do so, but from what I've heard of some of the other competitors, not everyone plays by those rules....

Win or lose, our guys can say they tried and played for the spirit of the competition, and not chasing the almighty Gold, Silver and Bronze so much.

We should all be proud of our teams, and welcome them home with handshakes and hugs whether they win or not.
They represent us well!

Having said that, I'd still love to see some medals and hope we get some.
I have every faith that they'll try to do just that.

Colin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chico where is your Olympic thread