Canada Serving Canada.

Hard to get into second gear...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to get into second gear...

I've noticed that it is very hard for me to get into second gear when the weather is really cold. Once I warm up the car I can get into second gear much easier.

Is it because the Tranny or clutch oil is frozen? Car has 60K on it and I've already gotten the tranny and rear diff oil replaced on the 2005 M6 G35 already.

I don't think this is normaly am I correct?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its cuz the transmission is cold..im pretty sure its normal mine does it when i dont park in the garage

Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same here

Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Yup... same here.
just Granny shift when cold, until it warms up.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Yah I figure that was the issue but my brother also has a 335 coupe and he parks outside beside my car and he has no issues going into second gear in the cold weather. I suspect the type of oil I have in my tranny is the issue. (factory tranny oil is what I've got)

Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I did a lot of searching and it seems like if you cant get into second gear properly when the weather is cold then it is a problem with the TRANNY. I read it's something about the synchros in the tranny that are gone? I'm also getting this wing whistling noise for the first 5 minutes of driving and when my car is warm I have no issues going into second gear and the noise is gone. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem in the winter time.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ment-poll.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...when-cold.html

Has anyone even brought their car to the dealer to have them look at this issue before in Toronto/Canada?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
It's only a tranny problem if you get grinding going into gear.
I had a BMW as well, & it got stiff in the cold too.

You will also find that if you shift from 1st with the revs too low, it makes it more difficult.
You can still start nice & easy but still bring revs up to 2.5 or 3 K before shifting to 2nd

Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I'll try it again in the moring. If I recall correctly I start my car and from going to first and second it seems like I am fighting with it and it does grind the gears just to get it in. Not all shifts going into second though will grind but I can tell you its like a fight to get it in. If I rev high on first gear I can push it into 3rd gear with no issue but it's just going into second when my car is cold.

Also I noticed ever since around 45,000km when I am going from 5th to 6th gear it feels like my gears are grinding. If I shift from 5th to 6th by stepping on the clutch then pausing for a FEW seconds with the cluth down then pulling it into 6th then its fine. I thought changing the tranny oil and rear diff oil at 50,000km would fix that problem but that isssue is still there.

I never had this fighting business with second gear last winter at all.

I'm gonna book an appointment with Willowdale Infiniti tomorrow to see when I can bring my car in. I was just there twice already on warranty issues over the past few weeks. One issue is still there which is some trunk noise when I go over small cracks on the road and the other issue they have fixed.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
for the manual owners. try not to leave your car with the hand brake on during winters, it might get frozen quickly and u might even stucked with your hand brake on, try to leave the car on gear 1, so at least it will keep the car steady in the park.
just my 2 cents,

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by musti82
for the manual owners. try not to leave your car with the hand brake on during winters, it might get frozen quickly and u might even stucked with your hand brake on, try to leave the car on gear 1, so at least it will keep the car steady in the park.
just my 2 cents,
I think hand brakes are meant for you to use when the car is parked either in winter or summer my friend. Did you read about this somewhere cause it sure does not sound right.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by white_gts
I think hand brakes are meant for you to use when the car is parked either in winter or summer my friend. Did you read about this somewhere cause it sure does not sound right.
hi there, if u r parking not on a hill, on a perfectly plain surface you dont need to use the hand brake, cause if u left the car on 1st gear or reverse and stopp it, it will let the car stay motionless as if u used the handbrake(i agree it wont be that effective as handbrake but works for winter times)

i used this method for more than 10 years only in winters to prevent my handbrakes getting frozen(i had a manual car).nothing happened, the only time i didnt do it my handbrakes got frozen and i had to wait at least half an hour to move the car as it was stopping the car from moving.

I hope that clears the misunderstanding.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
musti82:

Sounds good my friend. Unfortunatley where I park my driveway is a bit slanted.

...Just went out to grab some Tim Hortons and when I went to the drive through I found out I have another issue with the car now.

I rolled my windows down and they would not roll back up. I was like noooooo this can't be happening to my car. So many issues with my car and its only a 2005 model. Of course I'll take this into the dealer as I suspect the motor is weak and just needs to be replaced. I have to press the window button atleast 3-4 times before it comes back up. Now if I roll the window down just a little bit it still has juice to come back up but it has issues rolling back up when it is all the way down. The passenger side window is ok though.

Last edited by white_gts; 12-01-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by white_gts
musti82:

Sounds good my friend. Unfortunatley where I park my driveway is a bit slanted.

...Just went out to grab some Tim Hortons and when I went to the drive through I found out I have another issue with the car now.

I rolled my windows down and they would not roll back up. I was like noooooo this can't be happening to my car. So many issues with my car and its only a 2005 model. Of course I'll take this into the dealer as I suspect the motor is weak and just needs to be replaced. I have to press the window button atleast 3-4 times before it comes back up. Now if I roll the window down just a little bit it still has juice to come back up but it has issues rolling back up when it is all the way down. The passenger side window is ok though.
if ur parking is slanting dont try it )
im sorry to hear that, canadian winter is definitely pretty bad on electrical systems, especially the electric motors.
i am suspecting maybe because of cold the motor for the window is freezed. maybe it might start working well after the car gets heated a bit.

i have underground garage even the previous owner had a underground, thats how my 2003 coupe is still in good shape.(knock on wood)

Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To solve the issue of stiff transmissions in the cold, get a high quality synthetic oil in there. It will make the world of difference. On my old maxima, the OEM fluid would make the tranny difficult to shift in extreme cold temperatures, during the first few minutes of driving. When I switched to Amsoil synthetic MT oil, the stiffness went away.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't drive mine in winter but notice that even when temps get down close to 5 C the trans starts to get balky especially on the 1-2 shift. I'm sure at real winter temps it would be very stiff. FYI I run synthetic after the first year and don't notice any difference with the this cold weather experience.

White GTS can you describe the noise you are hearing until the car warms up? I have one too and dealer has not been able to diagnose. It sounds like a cross between wind/howl that is worse the colder it is and goes away after 3-4 km.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard to get into second gear...