Canada Serving Canada.

Hard to get into second gear...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by white_gts
I've noticed that it is very hard for me to get into second gear when the weather is really cold. Once I warm up the car I can get into second gear much easier.

Is it because the Tranny or clutch oil is frozen? Car has 60K on it and I've already gotten the tranny and rear diff oil replaced on the 2005 M6 G35 already.

I don't think this is normaly am I correct?
Mine is the same way and I live in SOUTH TEXAS! Changing the fluid helps a little.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by kingrukus
To solve the issue of stiff transmissions in the cold, get a high quality synthetic oil in there. It will make the world of difference. On my old maxima, the OEM fluid would make the tranny difficult to shift in extreme cold temperatures, during the first few minutes of driving. When I switched to Amsoil synthetic MT oil, the stiffness went away.
Recomendations? I have read that AmzOil is a good one.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had switched to redline synthetic when i had my car. i also got tired of all the double clutches in order to get into 1st gear during the winter months. i didn't really see a difference with it though. when it's cold.. every oil is going to be cold and thick and start-up no matter what u use imho. if i were u, i'd just save your money and stick with the nissan oem it's about as good as u can get.

sorry to hear about your window dilemma. i had the same problems with mine. it gets frustrating and tiring dealing with all the failing little motors and actuators after a while, especially when u have a full time job. at least u still have warranty, good luck with the repairs.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
White GTS can you describe the noise you are hearing until the car warms up? I have one too and dealer has not been able to diagnose. It sounds like a cross between wind/howl that is worse the colder it is and goes away after 3-4 km.

Yes the sound is just like what you said. A cross between a win/howl noise. Something like "Wheeeeeurrrrr" and it goes up and down pending on my acceleration. I read somewhere that someone said that noise is normaly until the air ducts get open but I don't see that as normal.

You say you used synthetic oil. Is the oil that I got from the dealer not good enough? It was the Quaker state synthetic oil that I got from my dealer. Apparently this is the oil that they use instead of the Jmatic oil now.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=giddyup69]i had switched to redline synthetic when i had my car. i also got tired of all the double clutches in order to get into 1st gear during the winter months. i didn't really see a difference with it though. when it's cold.. every oil is going to be cold and thick and start-up no matter what u use imho. if i were u, i'd just save your money and stick with the nissan oem it's about as good as u can get.QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I have to do. Double clutch to get it into gear. Kinda sucks. If this is normal I somehow don't remember having these issues last winter.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I think InTgr8r is about to switch his manual tranny over to Amsoil.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by white_gts
Yes the sound is just like what you said. A cross between a win/howl noise. Something like "Wheeeeeurrrrr" and it goes up and down pending on my acceleration. I read somewhere that someone said that noise is normaly until the air ducts get open but I don't see that as normal.

You say you used synthetic oil. Is the oil that I got from the dealer not good enough? It was the Quaker state synthetic oil that I got from my dealer. Apparently this is the oil that they use instead of the Jmatic oil now.
No the sound isn't normal. I've only seen a few folks with the issue and it seems to only be with MT's. Mine will only do it in temps below around 12C.

I can't comment on the OE oil. I changed to synthetic because I wanted a change at that interval and wanted to ensure a quality replacement.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I so regret buying the frigging tranny oil at Markham Infiniti. Quaker State Synthetic 75W-90 was what I got. I should of went off on my own and got a more reliable brand.

Not sure why a frigging dealer would not sell original oil as the oil I had in my car had no issues the past 2 winters.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I think InTgr8r is about to switch his manual tranny over to Amsoil.
Absolutely!!
...as soon as I get around to placing an order.

I'll be changing the rear dif as well, but that will likely wait until spring.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my tranny was not shifting smoothly 1-2, 2-3. the dealer replaced it under warranty.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exact same problem, along with a whistling noise...the car should get a new trans. from the dealer next week.