Canada Serving Canada.

Shipping from the States to Canada & Drop shipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping from the States to Canada & Drop shipping

So I'm looking into buying some rims from the States. I've done a little bit of research about this and I've learned that to avoid brokerage fees, I should just get them shipped just on the other side of the border. That's no big deal as I live like 25 minutes away from it.

The part I'm not too sure about is will I be looking at paying duty on the tires and rims? If I am, does anybody know how much? I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pay gst and pst, but I'm not too sure how it's going to work for duty. They will most likely be brand new rims and tires.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
no duty, just the taxes.
I've done it many times.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
boi
I had to pay duties, and taxes...

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
i had to pay duties and taxes also

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Really?.....
I've brought parts & wheels back across dozens (literally) of times & never paid duty.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
A lot of items depend on the country of origin. At my work here we do not pay duty on anything made in the U.S. We brought other items in from the U.S. that were made in Taiwan, and got hammered 40%. Also, whatever you do, do not use UPS. They charge duty on everything. The best I've found is U.S. Postal Service.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by Wayner9
A lot of items depend on the country of origin. At my work here we do not pay duty on anything made in the U.S. We brought other items in from the U.S. that were made in Taiwan, and got hammered 40%. Also, whatever you do, do not use UPS. They charge duty on everything. The best I've found is U.S. Postal Service.
ain't that the truth!!!!
Many of us have been there done that with UPS

...that's why some of us, that are close to the border, deliver to US & bring it across the border ourselves.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I hate UPS they dont send me any bills they just send me to a collection agency EVERY time. I am looking at buying an engine from the USA and UPS apperars to be the only ones that will ship iti bet they will pound me on fees.

Op i bought New Volks with tires from the US. i had to pay about $800 at the boarder in taxes Duty and brokerage it was a huge unexpected hit so be perpared and they wouldnt release them at the boarder until I payed the fees.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I hate UPS they dont send me any bills they just send me to a collection agency EVERY time. I am looking at buying an engine from the USA and UPS apperars to be the only ones that will ship iti bet they will pound me on fees.

Op i bought New Volks with tires from the US. i had to pay about $800 at the boarder in taxes Duty and brokerage it was a huge unexpected hit so be perpared and they wouldnt release them at the boarder until I payed the fees.
Gord, try Purolator. I never had a problem with them.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Another option is still shipping with UPS but you are the one who will declare it as self brokering at teh airport with customs. I have never done it but since UPS is cheap to ship but awful for charges it is a great way to go.
If it is made in america it has no duty just tax.
You could just install the rims there and drive back with the old ones.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I already thought of driving back with the rims, but how the hell am i gonna fit 4 rims in my g, theres no way i could fit 4 in there

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bosshogg
I already thought of driving back with the rims, but how the hell am i gonna fit 4 rims in my g, theres no way i could fit 4 in there
You'd be surprised what can fit in the G. When I got my Advans on, I was able to fit my stock 19s with tires on in the car for the ride home. Basically I put two in the trunk (pull the spare out before you go), pulled down the rear seats and put two in the back. Make sure you get tire bags first though, or you'll get tire marks everywhere.

But if you cross the border with two sets of wheels, you'll definitely get hit with duties/taxes.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think im gonna drive to states to get my summer performance tires, the canadian prices are just too high. i want to order from tirerack, however i dont know anybody who i can send the tires, so i can pick up.i guess the bridgestones i wanna buy i ll go to a retailer in buffalo and buy it there.

so if i install the tires there and get rid of the old ones, no tax or duty unless you have a tire expert working on the border )

Old 02-05-2009, 02:12 AM
I am looking at a list of duty rates I picked up recently at the border crossing. It says:

Auto Parts @ 4.5%
Tires @ 7%

All goods manufactured in US, Canada, and Mexico are free of duty.

Of course, Canadian taxes are extra.

So it depends on who the customs officer is that day. If you are lucky, you might just get charged on taxes alone.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosshogg

.......hmmmmmm, so the border guards see 4 rims in the car....It might be suspicious to them why they're there, and they'll start asking questions and looking.....

I don't think you want that hassel...

C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shipping from the States to Canada & Drop shipping