Canada Serving Canada.

You guys are scaring me......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 12:25 PM
|
You guys are scaring me......

I drive an 04' sedan 6MT, I've done a search on header install/ performance gains and didn't find my answer so I'll post my own thread. I have a set of megan racing headders that have been sitting in my attic for a year now but never had the chance to get them installed so this spring I'd like to get it done, before I go ahead and do this I have some questions...
1. I have a partly stock exhaust aftermarket Y-pipe, coupe MIDI stock muffler and stock cats, if I install the headers will I notice any gains with my current setup?

2. should I invest in HFC or resonated test pipes when installing these headers?

3. will the sound increase allot with just the headers, or if I install HFC with headers will it be loud?

4. whats involved in the instalation of the headers, I'm hearing horror stories of removing allot of parts to do the install.

Basically I just want to know if I should go through with it or look for some easier way to gain some performance.

Old 03-15-2009 | 12:40 PM
No experience here, but my impression from various posts is they are a B to install, and don't get you much hp gain. You probably want to go with HFCs and a tune to get the most out of the mod.

Please, somebody who knows more than I do, chime in.

Old 03-15-2009 | 01:12 PM
Wow, I would figure that since the engine is oriented from front to back that a header install would be much easier than on my Maxima with the engine sitting sideways. We always hear about how much of PITA the rear header is to install. I always thought it would be easier on the RWD cars.

My parts guy says that his resonated test pipes add 25 untuned, but i will try to confirm that for you.

Old 03-15-2009 | 02:57 PM
i have Z1 headers and they helped with the bottom end lots!! just make sure you install them properly because some bolts are really hard to get to. with test pipes it will sound louder but if you have stock y pipe, mid pipe and muffler then it will sound like a raspy g35 but not to loud.

Old 03-15-2009 | 04:05 PM
I heard HFC are better to get than test pipes. The test pipes are really load and are raspy when excelerating.

Headers and Test pipes are going to be really loud!

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by G-MAN (CANADA)
I drive an 04' sedan 6MT, I've done a search on header install/ performance gains and didn't find my answer so I'll post my own thread. I have a set of megan racing headders that have been sitting in my attic for a year now but never had the chance to get them installed so this spring I'd like to get it done, before I go ahead and do this I have some questions...
1. I have a partly stock exhaust aftermarket Y-pipe, coupe MIDI stock muffler and stock cats, if I install the headers will I notice any gains with my current setup?

2. should I invest in HFC or resonated test pipes when installing these headers?

3. will the sound increase allot with just the headers, or if I install HFC with headers will it be loud?

4. whats involved in the instalation of the headers, I'm hearing horror stories of removing allot of parts to do the install.

Basically I just want to know if I should go through with it or look for some easier way to gain some performance.
Hey man,
i have aftermarket header, testpipe, and catback..
u have heard my car LOL its not that loud.
to anwer your questions
1, u will definitely feel the gain, but i suggest you to change ur catback and cats. More airflow
2 and 3, yes, you should invest on either test pipe or HFC, but make sure to get the right test pipe. Otherwise, its gonna be raspy.
I used to have header and HFC and the sound is pretty quiet for my taste. i personally think it is more quiet than my stock sound.
I have non-resonated test pipe now, and the sound is louder!!!
4, - -yes, it is pain-in-the-a$$ to install the header
but all the hard work is worth!

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hossmaxima
I heard HFC are better to get than test pipes. The test pipes are really load and are raspy when excelerating.

Headers and Test pipes are going to be really loud!
not really, my car is not really loud..
LOL header, test pipe, and single exhuast are freakin loud!
got a ticket for that....

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:18 PM
How much did it cost you to get the headers installed?

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:19 PM
You could go with resonated test pipes.
Headers does make it sound nice though...

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:19 AM
How much did it cost you to get the headers installed?
sorry i forgot man
i installed my header back in van...but it was not cheap

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:31 AM
costs for headers shouldnt pass 140$ but they are tricky to install got mine for about 100$ because i bought it from the same person that installed them all and all it was something over 400$!!! :/

Old 03-16-2009 | 09:07 AM
Well i know on the Maxima they are about $800 to get them installed. It is really hard to justify picking up a set of headers for about $300-$400 and pretty much paying double to get them installed, that's crazy

Old 03-16-2009 | 11:35 AM
why is the install so hard? Is there just not enough room to get in there?

Old 03-16-2009 | 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
why is the install so hard? Is there just not enough room to get in there?
yeah..when they installed crawford header for me..
they had to bend...and did their magic...

Old 03-16-2009 | 03:05 PM
Well i know on the Maxima they are about $800 to get them installed. It is really hard to justify picking up a set of headers for about $300-$400 and pretty much paying double to get them installed, that's crazy
800$!! seems a bit much to me. i know on the G's it hard on the passenger side. unless you take the engine out for other reasons, headers are hard to install but hey at least its not a 300zx have you seen the room under their hood its so minimal.