Canada Serving Canada.

The sprintbooster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
more updates on the sprintbooster.

again ride is better, just the stalling of the gear when coming to a stop(on manual shifter mode) is bugging but getting used to it. my car is louder than ever even with the stock exhaust i can compete with 6MTs (just kidding )

no complains, definitely improvement.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's because, it's trying to act like a true manual since it doesn't downshift automatically and it's something you will néed to get used.. And yes, engine does sound louder I guess it has to do with the higher Revs in the lower gears

Old 06-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by C4kes
Which one did you get? Ive heard all grounding kits besides the SxExCx make no difference because the SxExCx has wires that go to the transmission. You probably bought a poor quality grounding kit (stillen), and thus didn't accomplish anything. Thats just what ive heard, I'll know more once I install mine. Hopefully this sprintbooster will be available for the X soon too.
Lol.. All grounding kits are the same. The sxexcx is different because it has an ecu reset procedure in the instructions which is y the people who install that kit see a difference. Like I said, without a voltage regulator or a similar device, u won't see a difference.

I don't know about others but, I did not reset my ecu after the grounding kit installation to see if there was a difference. Obviously there wasn't lol... Shifting was the same, radio was the same etc.

Once I reset the ecu, u feel a difference... Ecu reset is free.

Cheap? No, useful? No brightens up my engine bay? Oh yeah!

O... I have the SxExCx Kit.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
when are your rims coming in ^^ ??

Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by t7n7
Lol.. All grounding kits are the same. The sxexcx is different because it has an ecu reset procedure in the instructions which is y the people who install that kit see a difference. Like I said, without a voltage regulator or a similar device, u won't see a difference.

I don't know about others but, I did not reset my ecu after the grounding kit installation to see if there was a difference. Obviously there wasn't lol... Shifting was the same, radio was the same etc.

Once I reset the ecu, u feel a difference... Ecu reset is free.

Cheap? No, useful? No brightens up my engine bay? Oh yeah!

O... I have the SxExCx Kit.
Haha well thats good to know. I already bought it so whatever, it brightens my engine bay up too . What is a voltage regulator? Im trying to do anything i can to get rid of the transmission lag and the mushy pedal feel in my car. Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I got the Grounding Gear kit which helped me a ton. Which is why I'm so skeptical of the sprint booster. I don't see how it could improve my shifts much more without getting a valve body kit.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I got the Grounding Gear kit which helped me a ton. Which is why I'm so skeptical of the sprint booster. I don't see how it could improve my shifts much more without getting a valve body kit.
This is just my guess so...

If the TCM looks at the TPS as one varible for it's decision to shift, then altering that curve might also alter one parameter in the TCM shift logic.
ie... you know that the auto will downshift if you press pedal down (as the tcm thinks you need to pass, go faster etc.. so it gives you a lower numerical gear). If this device gets you to that point with less movement of the pedal, then it would seem like it shifts (down shifts) faster.

That's my take on it anyway.

The valve body kit alters the line pressure for a firmer/quicker shift (but only after the TCM decides to shift). The sprint booster won't make the auto shifter harder but it might make the auto downshift "seem" sooner. Two different things IMHO.

I also read that this device removes the "safety" of the downshift into a too high of a gear. ie.. you can actually downshift into 1st or 2nd when it would otherwise not allow it. ie.. too high of a speed/rpm.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I apologize if I have said this before, but even if I did, it's worth repeating. If you are buying a sprint booster to improve your shifting you are buying the wrong product. The sprint booster is designed to eliminate throttle lag by improving throttle response. If your auto shifts a little better because of it, then it is a side effect which is unintended. The sprint booster is supposed to be for those times when you want to pass someone and you can't stand the throttle lag. How many times have you been in say an 80 zone stuck behind a truck and you want to get around him. How many times have you matted the pedal in that situation and nothing happened for a split second or three? How many times has that made you realize it's too late to pass that truck now because of the oncoming traffic? With the sprint booster, you mat the pedal and the car takes off. It acts like there is a cable between the pedal and the TB.

I've sold a few of these to you guys and you have all had an auto. And when we go for a test drive you mention things like, i don't feel a difference with the tiptronic. Well of course not because it wasn't designed for that. This is a great mod for auto's and 6mt's but let's remember what it was designed for. It's eliminates throttle lag. The proper way to see if this is working for you is to put the car in D and go for a drive, then out of the blue decide that you want to jump to the left and pass someone. Mat the pedal and see how fast the throttle responds.

For you guys with 6mt's it also improves heel toe driving and rev matching because you don't have to move the pedal anywhere near as much to get the full range of the TPS. I'm not 100% sure how the remap is on the G35, but on the maxima full throttle is at about 75% of the pedal movement. So heel/toe driving is much easier, downshifting and blipping the throttle is much easier due to less pedal travel.

Another thing i have seen countless times is the safety feature of the auto's ability/nonability to downshift into a low gear. I can't say this is true or untrue but look at it this way. Your accelerator pedal has a travel of x inches. It sends a voltage to the ECU of 0 volts when your foot is off the pedal. IIRC it sends a voltage of 5V to the ECU at wide open throttle. So if the travel is say 3" from idle to WOT there is an infinite number of voltages that can be sent to the ECU to tell it where the pedal is. At 1.5 " theoretically the pedal is sending 2.5V to the ECU for 50% throttle.
Now you put a sprint booster in the car and suddenly at 1.5" of throttle the ECU is reading 75% throttle and at 2" the ECU is reading full throttle. Anything past the 2" mark will still read WOT as there is nothing more than WOT. So I don't see how this can affect a safety feature and cause the transmission to think it is safe to downshift into first gear if the RPM's are too high. I am almost positive that the transmission will go by RPM's not the TPS to determine if it is safe to downshift.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
When I used the sprintbooster for the few weeks I had it I did notice a few things.

The shifting was noticeably harsher. Not so much when your hammering it but just normal cruising in the manual mode. Maybe on other people's cars it did not do that, but mine there was a difference. Actually the one reason I didn't like the sprintbooster. Felt like a while of driving like that and my tranny would have been toast.

Also noticed the car was a lot more willing to downshift in the lower gears (1 and 2) even when the rpm's were up high.

I'm not really sure what modifications the sprintbooster is supposed to give besides the increased throttle response but I did notice these things no my car.

My 2 cents

Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
The sprint booster modifies the voltage that the throttle position sensor sends to the ECU. Period.

Anything else that seems different is a side effect of the ECU's interpretation of that data and how it utilizes that data in conjunction with the other electronic components on your car.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
your info is very valuable and i'm sure someone who would like to take it apart would appreciate the info you have provided, however.. I as well as many others DO NOT CARE HOW IT WORKS, just how it affects their car. I'm sure your just trying to clarify how it works but in the end, they just want to know what the 300$ will give them.

to make it simple:

the sprintbooster will reduce gas mileage (unless your really laid back and can control yourself)

the sprintbooster will provide FASTER SHIFTS (yes faster in auto... i don't have time to explain or back this up.. but i can show someone in person )

the sprintbooster disables the safety check for downshifting at higher rpms

the sprintbooster holds the gears longer (thus providing you with instant acceleration when needed because your still in the same gear... and also the reason why the shifting is much more aggressive) though the instant acceleration also comes from a faster throttle response in conjunction with the longer shifting points.

the sprintbooster takes a few minutes to install but depending on how clean your driverside area is, you might get dirty

the sprintbooster provides faster acceleration (not more HP) because it holds the gears longer. (just like a manual driver might take advantage of higher RPMS before shifting, the sprintbooster will hold the gear longer and do the same) In manual mode, its more insane because if you don't shift, it can stall the engine and NOT shift by itself.

the sprintbooster will make your revs as well as acceleration (engine sound) much louder since your engine is at a higher RPM within a lower speed. for example, if i'm in a parking lot, and i tap the accelerator, the G will sound very aggressive without an aftermarket exhaust and when i slam it.. the sound is much different then a non-sprintbooster G... MAYBE it has to do with the GEAR its on and the RPM.

the sprintbooster does increase your throttle signal exponentially. when you normally slam the gas pedal, your car's ecu usually holds the gears longer due to the WOT... because the sprintbooster is always providing a higher throttle, MAYBE that has something to do with the aggressive shifting.... < ---- i dunno about this point.. just a guess..

in the end... if you drive your car properly, it will not hurt the transmission and will get rid of that nasty lag and provide a much better experience for automatics. i cannot say anything regarding a manual since i have never tested it on one.

note: higher rpm (optimum RPM) = better torque, therefore.. your taking advantage of your torque (especially for automatics) at lower speeds with the sprintbooster, making it seem like the car is faster. but it is.. since a normal G without the sprintbooster would've SHIFTED earlier and not rev as high! hope that line helps.

Last edited by t7n7; 07-16-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by t7n7

the sprintbooster disables the safety check for downshifting at higher rpms

This is an untrue statement. Sorry to burst your bubble. I agree that everyone should have one of these in their car, but please stop posting things that are untrue. It is not designed to do this, it is not intended for this purpose. The sprint booster modifies the voltage from the gas pedal to the ECU and nothing else.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
^im confused whats true and whats false now haha

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Sprint Booster is engineered to enhance the driving experience by providing increased acceleration time (eliminating delay) on drive-by-wire cars by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal and providing the ECM (Electronic Control Module) with a new and altered signal for much quicker response. Sprint Booster improves response, increases pedal input sensitivity and delivers more impressive off the line performance you can really feel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The sprintbooster