Canada Serving Canada.

Oil consumption Dealer question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009 | 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I don't think .25 litre every 1600k is going to cut it for them though. Usually a liter per 1k is what they are looking for if they do a swap.
^He is correct.
OP,
What type of oil are you using? I found that using Castrol GTX (dino oil) on an OC engine really helps.. Use a heavier oil, like a 5w-40 or 0w-40
And oil changes are relatively cheap so consider doing so every 3500km.

*just some food for thought*..

Old 08-17-2009 | 04:52 PM
|
Oil Consumption

So the car goes in on Thursday to Guelph Infiniti.
To start the process, Ill post the outcome.
From what I can see in the TSB and my ruler Iam in the zone for a replacement.
After 2300km I am just below the half mark on the dipstick.
I dont believe that this should be considered normal oil consumption.
That would put me over a litre per oil change at moderate driving.
Mostly hwy with shifts around the 3 to 4 range. However I do push the
rpms at times.
We will see....

Old 08-17-2009 | 09:02 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by murr607
So the car goes in on Thursday to Guelph Infiniti.
To start the process, Ill post the outcome.
From what I can see in the TSB and my ruler Iam in the zone for a replacement.
After 2300km I am just below the half mark on the dipstick.
I dont believe that this should be considered normal oil consumption.
That would put me over a litre per oil change at moderate driving.
Mostly hwy with shifts around the 3 to 4 range. However I do push the
rpms at times.
We will see....
Are you saying consumption of 1/2 litre in 2300 kms?

I haven't seen the TSB for a while but I seem to recall you need to be around 1 litre per 1000kms consumption. I hope that's wrong for your sake.

Old 08-17-2009 | 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Are you saying consumption of 1/2 litre in 2300 kms?

I haven't seen the TSB for a while but I seem to recall you need to be around 1 litre per 1000kms consumption. I hope that's wrong for your sake.
That's what my OC burning G uses about a litre for every 1000-1400km.
Sucks but I live with it. When the time comes I will get a new engine $$$.

Old 08-18-2009 | 07:13 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by shilohap
That's what my OC burning G uses about a litre for every 1000-1400km.
Sucks but I live with it. When the time comes I will get a new engine $$$.
You should check it out soon Shilo. Infiniti may not be so obliging if you're outside of warranty.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:23 PM
You should check it out soon Shilo. Infiniti may not be so obliging if you're outside of warranty.
Unfortunately I'm out of warranty. So the decision will have to be made for a new engine or a re-build with the right specs.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:58 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Unfortunately I'm out of warranty. So the decision will have to be made for a new engine or a re-build with the right specs.
Has there been any documentation of your consumption issue? If so since it's a known issue Infiniti may come to the party. I assume you are past 110k.

Old 08-18-2009 | 05:01 PM
Has there been any documentation of your consumption issue? If so since it's a known issue Infiniti may come to the party. I assume you are past 110k.
Other than my engine running bone dry last September. I have been the only one documenting it. This Spring when I took it out of winter storage, I drove it around and let it go down about a litre. I took it to the Nissan dealer (with just under 110,000km on the engine) in Sudbury and told them I had an OC burner they pretended they had never heard of this issue. I asked them to check the oil level before the oil change and when I returned to pick the car up I asked what the pre oil change reading was. They said it was slightly overfilled. The lying b@stards!
I knew it was down when I brought the car in.
Before I ramble on even more, I just don't want to devote the time, stress and energy to fighting Infiniti. I think the nearest Infiniti dealer is in Newmarket. Well over 300 km away from where I live making the process even more painful. I do have records of all my oil changes since I have owned the car and I check my oil once a week making sure it never dips down below 1/2 a litre. Should I still fight this?
Deane made some corrections read again please. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2009 | 06:27 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Other than my engine running bone dry last September. I have been the only one documenting it. This Spring when I took it out of winter storage, I drove it around and let it go down about a litre. I took it to the Nissan dealer (with just under 110,000km on the engine) in Sudbury and told them I had an OC burner they pretended they had never heard of this issue. I asked them to check the oil level before the oil change and when I returned to pick the car up I asked what the pre oil change reading was. They said it was slightly overfilled. The lying b@stards!
Before I ramble on even more, I just don't want to devote the time, stress and energy to fighting Infiniti. I think the nearest Infiniti dealer is in Newmarket. Well over 300 km away from where I live making the process even more painful. I do have records of all my oil changes since I have owned the car and I check my oil once a week making sure it never dips down below 1/2 a litre. Should I still fight this?
Shame the stealer wasn't up front and/or more knowledgable with their assessment.

I can't really say for sure if it's worth it to you. However if it doesn't cost you much or isn't too arduous I would think there's little to lose and something nice to gain. I'm by no means an expert on this but do know of one person on here from Atlantic Canada that did have success locally with his '05. Before that the dealer here claimed not to know anything about the oil issue when I spoke to them about it.

G/l to everyone that has this problem.

Old 08-19-2009 | 12:16 AM
one thing about Doner if you didn't purchase the vehicle there... don't expect much service or any at all. I made an appointment there to get the gas filler cap/hose whatever it was done at 9am, they had the car till 5 it hadn't gone in until I made a fuss about it at 2:30. said it was a first come first served. I was SOOOOOOOOOOO pissed.

Old 08-21-2009 | 10:38 AM
Hey Shilohap - I'll be moving from North Bay to Sudbury by the end of September. I've been taking my G to Vic at Simone's Performance in Newmarket, but I'm wondering if there are any decent mechanics in Sudbury that can be trusted to work on these things. I realize any Class A mechanic could probably muddle his/her way thru a problem, but I feel more comfortable taking my own ride to someone who knows these vehicles well (and I don't mean the Infiniti dealerships either). Apparently there's a performance shop on the Kingsway that should be able to work on the G. Let me know ....

Old 08-26-2009 | 09:11 PM
|
Oil Consumption

So into Guelph Infiniti I go, oil changed, start the process...
Service rep is surprised that I have a copy of the TSB. Said that it
shouldnt be out there for me to have.
Then says that there is a different TSB for Canada and that he wants me
to come in every 1000km not the 1600km that is posted.
Cant print the Canadian one as it wont let him. I was there for evening
service, but will be going back during the day to talk to the service manager to find out why the difference in monitoring and for a copy of the Canadian one.
Has anyone else been told this? Is the 1000km the norm?
Why different then the US?

Old 08-26-2009 | 11:23 PM
It sounds about right. When I had my maxima checked for the same vq buring oil problem they told me to come back after 1000km as well.

Old 09-13-2009 | 08:47 PM
Hey guys. I'm going for OC test #3. I'm consuming about 0.6L-0.8L every 1,000 km's. Dealership seems pretty cool about it and I need to go for 4 tests. If these numbers keep up, what are my chances of getting a new engine?

Old 09-13-2009 | 09:14 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
^You should get the official bulletin from Infiniti. There is a specific TSB that answers that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption Dealer question