Canada Serving Canada.

Oil consumption Dealer question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started the proocess and have made them take me in to measure the oil both after the oil change ( it was overfilled past the letter F on dipstick)
And when I got the oil measured. Then again when they top it up.
Its a pain in the *** and you look like a jerk, but be polite.
Bring in the TSB, they have there own but are not to keen on sharing.
I am right on the border of the oil consumption so a mm here or there helps them not me.
I make an effort to only deal with the one guy at the counter and he now knows that I will be watching all of it. Not that I think they would deliberately screw me but they will obviously not want to put a motor in.
If you do get them to order the new motor, work out the cost to replace the clutch and all related parts. They already are there so why not for the sake of the parts and maybe an hours labour.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Just got back from the dealership.

To give you some history, I have had 5 oil consumption tests. The results were 2.5L, 2.0L, 0.6L, 2.4L, 0.6L. After the 5th test, the service manager claimed they had an apprentice who did the 3 tests that were high (coincidence? LOL). So they replace the PCV valve and say to come back for a 6th test.

I come back today after having done the test prior (See previous page). I ask to watch the test and they say no problem. They were nice about it but could tell I was angry.

The mechanic pulls the dipstick out and looks at it. It looks as seen in picture on last page and says it's 0.6L low. I said, "wait, wat? you didn't even measure it" He says that at that point on the dipstick that means it's 0.6L low. He said the gap between H and L is one litre (is this even true!?!?!) My mind then exploded. He didn't follow the TSB at all and he's their head mechanic. I told him I have a measuring tape in the car and we can measure it like we are supposed to. He then suggested we measure the oil as we add it and keep track of how much we are adding until it reaches the H line. Surely enough, we added 1.3L and it barely barely reached the full line (could of easily added the other 0.2 to make it 1.5L).

During the time we are waiting for the oil to settle before we can check it again, I asked him about everything and told him my situation. He was very nice about it and understanding. He agreed that the 3 tests done by the "apprentice" must of been right because they had to of known somehow that they added 2.0L, 2.4L, 2.5L because they wouldn't just pull a number out of their butt. They actually measured how much they were adding and recorded it on each invoice. "Oil was below L level on dipstick, added 2.4L", rather than his invoices, "Oil was 0.6L low, topped up oil". I'm not even convinced the 3 tests revealing high results were done by the apprentice. I even asked them to see whose name is on each service record because I don't believe them. They brushed it off and said we will see what happens now and go from there.

APPARENTLY the dealership gets paid on standardized job times for warranty. They test how long ecah job takes and pays based on that. He told me they pay 12 hours yet the last one they did took 21 hours and he only got paid 12. I guess that's where their incentive is to try and get out of big warranty work.

I asked him what he thinks about this and he told me it's way too high and he is going to suggest a new engine. I tried to be buddy buddy with him to get him on my team so hopefully that helps the cause.

The service advisor is taking the results and bringing them to the service manager and someone else that was a different name (maybe dealership head?). Mechanic said we need to order a new engine but the advisor wants to wait for it to be approved. He's going to call me once they run it by them.

So things are looking up. I hope this helps everyone out... make sure you are there when the test is done and they are doing the test right!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
engine ordered. booya!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
For those getting an engine replacement, I would suggest you ask for the redesigned, version 2, counter measure engine, what ever it is referred to as. With my 3 engine replacements the counter measure consumed the least but it still failed. Possibly, by now, Nissan/Infiniti has fine-tuned the counter measure or maybe even designed a second counter measure.
For your reference, the following part numbers,
Infiniti part # 10102AC7M1 references the original factory engine.
Infiniti part # 10102AC7M9 references the counter measure engine.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good news Canuckeh. G/L with the install and the new powerplant.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
FWIW I dealt with Oakville Inifiniti Nissan. I don't recommend them at all.

I asked about the engine on the phone but couldn't even get the part number, "I make the order and it goes through parts so I don't have it". Didn't even offer to help me get it. He thinks I'm asking if I'm getting a G37 engine or something.

Anyone know how warranty works? The new engine doesn't come with a new warranty, right? I'm covered for 6 years 110km and am at just over 3 years and 47km. So I guess if I have ANOTHER oil consumer I still have lots of time to get yet another replacement (although I'd sell the car before going to that hassle again).

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the original 6/110 powertrain warranty is still in effect. even if you only had 2 days left when the engine was replaced, you then have a "new" 12 month warranty on the new parts. parts from a dealer always (except brakes and wear items) come with a one year warranty.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Got my G back today with the new engine. Sure smells like a new engine. Thrilled to have the octane ping gone as well.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Question for you Canukeh....
Why so many tests? According to the bulletin if you are in the BAD zone
they are to order a replacement? Or have I read it wrong?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey, congrats! I'm glad you finally got your new engine!

This is something I will have to closely monitor next year, since I'll be storing the car soon.

During the times you were undergoing the Oil Consumption Tests, were you driving the car really hard? Constantly redlining or shifting above 5-6K rpms? Or, were you just driving normally?

What kind of oil and filter were you using?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by murr607
Question for you Canukeh....
Why so many tests? According to the bulletin if you are in the BAD zone
they are to order a replacement? Or have I read it wrong?
Because they kept wanting me to do more tests since some tests revealed low consumption and some revealed high (person who did the tests that revealed low consumption was doing it wrong).

Originally Posted by L23Tan
Hey, congrats! I'm glad you finally got your new engine!

This is something I will have to closely monitor next year, since I'll be storing the car soon.

During the times you were undergoing the Oil Consumption Tests, were you driving the car really hard? Constantly redlining or shifting above 5-6K rpms? Or, were you just driving normally?

What kind of oil and filter were you using?
Yes I was driving it hard. I didn't want it to be close so I made sure I was in the replacement zone. I would drive highway at 120 in 4th gear and 100km/h in 3rd. That being said, I didn't drive it hard the last test and it still needed 1.3L. I used a normal oil filter that infiniti puts in.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Oil Consumption

Well all has been approved, The replacement engine has been ordered.
So far Guelph Infiniti has been good to deal with.
Now the only question is to replace the clutch or not?
I have 80k (50miles). 3rd owner.
Parts are not cheap. Any suggestions from the forum?
I see the set up from Wolf includes all parts needed but I dont understand
why the flywheel needs to be replaced?