Canada Serving Canada.

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by justinaweezel
So I bought the 6 year 160K warranty today.
I want to thank everyone for their opinions and help.
The reasons that I went with it were basically that I thought the peace of mind,and the value at resale were worth the investment.
The other factor was that I have the money now,let's say that 5 years from now something worth $1500.00 breaks and the economy or whatever is bad and I don't have the money,now I know that it's covered.
Like I said Peace of Mind as opposed to investment.
Thank you all again for your input.
Well if you're happy with the purchase for Peace of Mind, then great.

Just a couple of comments for consideration of others interested in the topic:

1) The main point of my first post was that while insurance is always a negative expected value proposition (i.e Expected Claims = Premium - profit margin - sales commission - admin cost - overhead etc..), some forms of insurance do make sense.

2) Which types of insurance makes sense? The ones that offer "peace of mind" because the claiim should it happen is large (i.e. claim could be 100x or 1000x the premium). This is the relationship for insurance for things like fire, liability, life insurance... so for these things, sure peace of mind is worth the cost.

3) Is Peace of mind really worth it, if even in a bad case (95th percentile), the claim would be maybe 3x - 5x the premium?

And as for having the money now, but maybe not latter... you could save the money in a TFSA (Tax Fee Savings Account).

Anyhow, we all have to make our own decision how much we're willing to pay for peace of mind. Some, like you will decide it's worth it. Others will decide "self insurance" is the better approach in the long run.

Old 10-29-2009 | 03:21 AM
id go for it its a peace of mind. i had such bad luck with my car .... you should imo but all infinitis are pretty well built engine wise. auto tranny goes if you get to excited to often over revving with the shiftronic thing at about 150k. you could of bought the one that wasnt built well and is a problem child. get it in my opinion!