Canada Serving Canada.

Another turbo build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Another turbo build

Hey guy, might as well share with the rest of my fellow Canucks. This is also on my350z.com

Well guys, the time has come. The winter (at least up here) has begun, so I am under the car again.

This is the original build thread: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...brication.html

This kit that I am working on is not for me, but for a "customer" I guess you can say. It will be a bit different as I have learned a few thing when it comes to building a turbo system. I will point these things out as the build goes.

So first of I will start with the most importan things, new tools I have purchased.

Heart of the entire operation is the welder. This is an AC/DC high frequency machine. I sold my old one to my boss, and got this unit for $1600. I am supper happy with it, and once all the dials are set properly it almost welds byitself.

Second purchase is a new saw. I LOVE THIS THING. It is not your traditional abrasive cutting wheel, but a toothed carbite blade, much like you have on your circular saw. The cuts are incredebly clean and not one burr, so there is no wasting time cleaning the inside of the turbing. Never used one before, or even knew about it untill I saw it in a flyer. $500 later and it is now my.

I also went out and got a two bulb flourecent fixture. This beats any trouble light out there:

On to the new piping, once again I choose 409 stainless do to it's ability to withstand heat/corrosion and most importantly no cracking. This time around I am doing all the pre turbo plumbing with 2.5" piping. I found that the 2" crossover pipe was too small and restrictive causing my bank one wideband to read richer under WOT boost runs. This was bothering me for a long time, and the problems went away when I switched the 2" piping with 2.5". You don't see this on other kits because other turbo manufacturers don't put a wideband in the crossover pipe.

New turbor. On the left is my old Garrett T04S 60-1 turbo with a large S compressor cover. On the right is the same turbo with an "E" compressor cover. This will alowe me to tuck the turbo even higher than the old one. I have to say the old setup was plenty high and I have gone over Wall Mart speed bumps withough any issues. Turbo performance stays the same with a smaller compressor cover. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to note is that the compressor cover will NOT have to be modified. I changed the IC piping routing so that the turbo can be installed right off the shelf. This will allow for easy turbo upgrades down the road. A precision 6262 can also be bough with an "E" compressor cover and those are capable of 600whp on this platform. I know of a shop running twin 6262's with this configuration and made 1200whp.

I have been practicing my aluminum welding as well. It is very easy once the welder is setup, some 2.5" tubing, just needs to be polished:

All stocked up:

All IC piping will be aluminum ofcourse, and all the ends are beed rolld. This will allow for worry free high boost applications, as there is no chance of couplers to slip off:

Like mentioned before, the IC piping routing will be changed for the better:

Intercooler wil be different as well:

It will have a 21x11x3 core with 3" inlet and 3" outlet, also capable of supporting plenty of power.

We will see hot this goes, and how many of these kits I can make. If you have questions/comments chime right in.

Something else I should mention, with this setup there won't be any need to heat wrap any of the OEM wiring, making it a very straight forward install.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Sick man cant wait til the build is done

Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, very impressive that you're doing this! Good luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by stclairwest
Sick man cant wait til the build is done
Thanks guys. I already built a kit for myself last year and ran it all summer without any issues. This included a number of trips to the track.

This kit is for a guy in Calgary.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Can't wait to see this new build, Sasha, I'll follow your progress closely.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
How do you guys tune this kit and what kind of power numbers have you gotten out of these turbo kits?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hossmaxima
How do you guys tune this kit and what kind of power numbers have you gotten out of these turbo kits?
Tune it just like any other turbo car, no secrets there. I like Haltech, and have tuned my car on the street.

As far as power goes, it all depends on the turbo. I am also building another kit for a track car. It will use the Precision 6262 turbo, and he will be shooting for 600+whp. Should be no problem with that turbo.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin good. Did I see you advertising that you were looking for a "customer project" ? I'm sure you'll really shine on this one the second time around. Is the owner on here at all?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice.

i like custom kits for G/Zs i think they work the best. i had a custom kit w/haltech on my G and it worked amazing, lots of power and really early and stayed for a long range of rpms. cant wait to put it on a manual G. The auto tranny not the best for FI..

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ Really? I thought AT's stayed in boost during shifting where MT's typically do not.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
^^ Really? I thought AT's stayed in boost during shifting where MT's typically do not.
yea AT do stay in boost till you lift off the throttle, wat i ment was the max whp flat lined at above 4k rpm stayed till just over 6k rpm and max wtq started at around 3k rpm and stayed till a bit below 5k rpm. on top of that the cars rpm built a lot quicker. thats wat i remember from my dyno sheet. passed 2.5k rpm i had a lot more whp then a stock AT G at top whp lol. the torque converters started slipping after a bit with the kit but lots of issues will come later with turbo with the 5AT

Last edited by zeidik; 11-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by 6MTKeith
Lookin good. Did I see you advertising that you were looking for a "customer project" ? I'm sure you'll really shine on this one the second time around. Is the owner on here at all?
Yes I am looking for somebody with a 03-06 G35, just so I can make sure this will bolt right up as it does on the Z.

I am not sure if this guy fom Calgary will come through. That is ok though because I have had a ton of PM's on my350.com from people wanting a kit. So it will go somewhere one way or another.

I am excided about the guy wanting the Percision 6262 setup. It will show the potential of this setup really well. He is shooting for 600whp, see how that turns out. I just placed an order for the turbo and Tial 44mm w/g.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Thas awesome. Seems like you enjoy the work. Theres enough money and enthusiasts in Alberta that you should be able to stay quite busy building these systems.

I asume te 6262 set up will be on built internals?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by 6MTKeith
Thas awesome. Seems like you enjoy the work. Theres enough money and enthusiasts in Alberta that you should be able to stay quite busy building these systems.

I asume te 6262 set up will be on built internals?
Yeah there should be, but I don't thin Albertans have the cash for this, at least it seems so. I had an add in Kijiji and a decent amount of people responded but when I say it's $4-5k for the kit, contacts gets lost.

Much bigger market south of the border.

Yes the 6262 is on a built block, and it will be tuned by the best. Hal @ Injected Performance will do the install and tuning. Should get some good results.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I can only imagine how many people thnk they can get a custom turbo system for $1500 because they saw one for a civic on ebay.

Good luck with your venture.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another turbo build