Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
19" axis Matrix. 4" lip

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
sickk, wah finish?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 AM
It's called anthracite by axis, but it's really just burning black/gunmetal. With a polished lip, I'll post a photo in your profile.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. This thread took an interesting turn.

Maybe these are not the easiest question to answer. I suppose it probably depends on what you are trying to import but I'm wondering if there is somewhere one could go to check on this. I tried looking through the Canada Customs website and that was as clear as mud.

If you were buying from a vendor I'm assuming they would be able to help but if I'm buying, for example, some wheels off of someone in the US classified section how does it work? Do they just put them in the mail and it makes no difference to them? Where would the assessment/bill for any customs charges come from?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions; I just don't have any experience with this kind of stuff and was hoping to leverage off of the experience of other on the site.

Thanks

PS. Nice choice on those Axis wheels 4DGS. I've been considering some Axis wheels myself.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 AM
^I suggest them!

When it gets to the border usually a larger courier takes it over(unless it was shipped wth an international courier) like UPS. Ups pays the Taxes, duty and what ever else might be needed to pay up front. Then when they drop it off to you, they give you either a bill or they make you pay it upfront + a $40 landing fee for fronting you the money.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 AM
theres no difference between vendor or other bro, they dont make the customs and duty descions, they both file the same customs forms. If anything the vendor may be able to get cheaper shipping though, since he may offer u a discount or be shipping in bulk, but then again the prices are usually cheaper when buying from private, so yaa

Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Assuming you buy something used off another guy he has to declare a value on a form before it is shipped out. If it is shipped by USPS(us postal service) you will pay a $8 fee plus the applicable taxes of the declared value. But if they open the box of something declared at say 20 bucks and they know it is worth 1000 bucks, they will tax you at the higher amount. You can then dispute the charge by filling out the paperwork on the back of the customs form you get on the package.

Most vendors will ship UPS or Fedex. This is because they don;t have to do anything. Both couriers will pick up the item, package the item and ship it. In order to use USPS they have to get off their butts and drive to a postal outlet. They will basically charge you the same amount between them. A percentage of the declared value, plus the taxes and a few more fees to make you feel like you got raped. The only difference between UPS and Fedex is UPS want's payment as soon as they come to your door. Fedex will mail you a bill anywhere from 1 week to 3 months later and tell you how much you owe them.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^ UPS wanted $80 in fees for a $170US UGGs?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone! This certainly helps.

So basically it is just a bit of extra paper work (customs declaration) that the seller, whether private or vendor, would have to fill out. Would the shipping company provide them with the necessary paper work? I'm just wondering if it is a big PITA for the seller to ship something to me vs. someone in another state.

Also, if I'm following it looks like the preferred shipper would be USPS, then FedEx, followed by UPS as the least desirable.

One other thing... Is there some type of schedule that breaks down the various fees and rates somewhere? It would be nice to know what to expect ahead of time instead of getting surprised by some big bill upon delivery. Maybe I'll fire an email to Canada Customs and see if they can break it down for me.

Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
if you're gonna cross the boarder with a fake kijiji add then why dont you just make the fake add for Niagara instead of buffalo. if you're gonna pick up something small, obviously not rims, then pick them up from buffalo and when you cross the boarder just say you already bought the stuff in Niagara canada (showing them the canadian kijiji add) and just went over the boarder to check out the buffalo outlet mall

Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
^ wats the difference lol

Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
^Are those the same rims as yours?

Missing 5 inches of lip though LOL

Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
difference is you dont need to go through the trouble of trying to convince them that you bought something used from the states when it's in brand new packaging. If you say you made the purchase in the states then they're gonna question how you bought it, but if you tell them you made the purchase in Canada and just put it in your car then it doesn't how you bought it, it'll be duty free no matter what

Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For shipping, have the seller put in a bill of sale. Try and get him to put a lower amount on it so you can save some money on taxes. Just make sure it is realistic. You can also call most major couriers and they will tell you roughly how much you'll have to pay. Also, some couriers, maybe all, will hold high value ($1000+ I believe) packages in customs until all the fees are paid. When I had my wheels shipped here, Fedex held them there until the payment had cleared. Took an extra 2-3 days to get here because of it. Also make sure that the seller puts your phone number on the package incase they do hold it in customs. I never got a call from them and I had to call them to find out why it was still in customs.

If you're driving something across, most of it depends on how much it's worth, the customs agent you get, and how well you can hide things lol. I've brought a lot of small and high value parts without having to pay any taxes or duty. You could also I'll declare some smaller things and leave out bigger stuff. Alot of times they won't bug you about $40ish, even $150 sometimes. You'll have to pay tax and duty if it was made outside of NA. Duty rates vary depending on what is being imported. I'm pretty sure wheels and most car parts are around 7% while clothes are close to 20%.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
if i declare my rims as 400 and used with a printed out craigslist ad, u think ill get charged hard?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing Parts from the US into Canada