Canada Serving Canada.

screwed after differential oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Gord said, you cant over fill it. The check plug is also the fill plug.

And you could have no oil in the diff and run it around the city for a few days prob with no issues.

I have a feeling there is something missing from this story, a fluid change should ever be able to funk something up like that. But either way it screwed up after Mr. Lube touched it. Thus, a new diff free of charge.
Dont take no for an answer, Mr Lube replaces hundreds of grenaded engines a year due to moronic techs working there making dumb mistakes. A diff is a drop in the bucket to them.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Karma how was the paaarrty, I just got back from Calgary I tried getting Jon & Sam to get some pictures of me drifting.....but they said you would never talk to them again if they let me drift YOUR car

Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 on all of this.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
It would be impossible to over fill it you can only fill it as high as the fill plug anything more will run out as you fill it or as you attempt to put the plug in it will run out, even if they did I am not sure how that would cause it to seize up Also you do not need the GM additive as the VSLD is a sealed unit. Never take your car to a quick lube for diff or tranny changes you are asking for issues . It sounds like the diff is ruined more than likely they drained the fluid and never added any and the second shop is covering for them. I hope they buy you new diff and you learned your lesson about quick lubes they are usually ok for an engine oil change but anything else if I dont have time to do it myself I go to the dealership.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF...make sure they cover this, its clearly a cover up as others have said, you CANNOT overfill differential oil...
Mr.Lube is supposed to have all these "checks" where they make sure everything is ok before you go, which failed here. If they start to back down from covering it make sure you mention that you have already contacted an attorney about the issue just to shake em a bit.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
+1 to everyone else.
I bet they didn't fill it.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM
^^ they were telling me to go to their mechanic, which would basically void any powertrain warranty i have left (just finished my 80,000 km)

So after talking to the local shop people, then after long discussions and fighting, talking to their manager and district manager, they agreed that infiniti can look at my car without their mechanics looking into it, but they would not pay for the towing right now. which is bull but i guess i dont have a choice.

The manager at Mr.Lube said if infiniti mechanic. service people can provide a written note saying this damage is caused by Mr.Lube, they will cover the cost of the repairs.

The manager has said this on the phone, therefore nothing is written yet. I will be going to the shop later (after work) to get the car towed to infiniti and get them to check it. The service manager said my rear differential is "toasted" if the car is not moving freely being in neutral.

My whole morning is destroyed due to this couldnt sleep last night cause i was stressed, where are those colorful pills when you need then ????

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Raj did you see them open the fill plug and oil leak out?? Because it generally dosent gain oil the so called extra oil would have run out when they were putting the plug in. I have changed my dif oil several times and my tranny oil 5-6 times they are the same you fill them till the oil runs out the fill plug then you put the plug in. If there was too much it would have been a very small amount, i would think it would be impossible to overfill it to the point of causing your diff to seize . I hope they take care of you and get you another diff.
the first time i saw them draining it, it looked quite clean so i asked if that was the oil being drained, the guy said it was the new one pouring out of the hole. :| not sure if it was the new one or the one that was originally in it.

The second shop I was inside of the car when i came out, the guy said he leveled it already.

I was way too much stressed out to notice anything at that point.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Karma
Like Gord said, you cant over fill it. The check plug is also the fill plug.

And you could have no oil in the diff and run it around the city for a few days prob with no issues.

I have a feeling there is something missing from this story, a fluid change should ever be able to funk something up like that. But either way it screwed up after Mr. Lube touched it. Thus, a new diff free of charge.
Dont take no for an answer, Mr Lube replaces hundreds of grenaded engines a year due to moronic techs working there making dumb mistakes. A diff is a drop in the bucket to them.
Thanks man, I had to really argue over on the phone, with 2 people then a manager and at the last the district manage !

I will ask the second shop to give me in writing what happened just to be on the safe side.

infiniti dealer would not be able to look at it until wednesday.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are they gonna cover the tow after it is deemed their fault? Why should you have to cover ANY part of this? They forgot to fill your **** up with oil, they need to pay everything..infact they should be providing you with a rental.

It's the price they pay for getting 17-20 year old HS kids to do the work cheap...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
yes, they said if it is their fault (which i am sure it is) they will cover for the toe, I have a friend who has AMA so i might get the toe for free ... asking for favours here and there :P

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by spellcaster
^^ they were telling me to go to their mechanic, which would basically void any powertrain warranty i have left (just finished my 80,000 km)

So after talking to the local shop people, then after long discussions and fighting, talking to their manager and district manager, they agreed that infiniti can look at my car without their mechanics looking into it, but they would not pay for the towing right now. which is bull but i guess i dont have a choice.

The manager at Mr.Lube said if infiniti mechanic. service people can provide a written note saying this damage is caused by Mr.Lube, they will cover the cost of the repairs.

The manager has said this on the phone, therefore nothing is written yet. I will be going to the shop later (after work) to get the car towed to infiniti and get them to check it. The service manager said my rear differential is "toasted" if the car is not moving freely being in neutral.

My whole morning is destroyed due to this couldnt sleep last night cause i was stressed, where are those colorful pills when you need then ????
Eh, get **** in writing! A tow does not cost as much as the diff, you can fight for them to pay for the tow when they are going to replace the Diff. Everything they say over the phone, they can just say they never said it! Get what ever you can in writing asap. Make sure you keep any receipt and anything, get comments from Infiniti on why they think it broke..ect anything that can prove your case in writing.

Good luck man.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Well the car is finally at infiniti ... they said they will not look at it until wednesday, So i guess tomorrow and day after i will be asking the mr.lube people for all the written stuff to be given in.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Way to stay with it, spell. If you can locate those managers you were talking to on the phone and they are local (and you have other wheels, damn), visit their offices in person if you have to and insist on getting what you need in writing.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be a traction control issue too. Any "slip" light flashing or lit?someone said that likely something got into the final drive and that seems likely if you only have a couple km's on it. Good luck with the result. Make sure you post up the outcome.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
yeah i have my wife's honda civic :P yeah ... i should get that written stuff done tomorrow ... the slip light was not on, nor did the vdc indicator went on ... but even when i pressed off the vdc traction control .. the car was no moving forward. hell i can drive it in reverse but not forward, and the gears are engaging fine ... the weird thing is that it was only a 6.6 km drive away (the second shop)and i could hear sounds in like 2 km drive. I hope infiniti can fix it like new again by 19th.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: screwed after differential oil change