Canada Serving Canada.

rust protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004 | 11:38 PM
Re: rust protection

OK, here's my opinion...

The manufacturer of these devices will have some "tests" and "testimonials" to prove how effective they are, but I don't think these things have passed more rigorous scrutiny from consumer organizations. IMHO, I would be skeptical that a small "electrostatic" device can protect a car from rust, and there are more proven options out there.

I have not had my Infiniti rust proofed yet, but have rust proofed prior cars using Krown, which is recommended by the APA. I've never noticed any smell from the spray, so I don't think the smell concern is valid at all.

In general, I don't think rustproofing is as essential as it was in the past, as cars are built with better protection, including "electrostatic" paint processes to ensure all nooks and crannies are well covered by paint. Just keeping it clean, with regular washes, and touching about chips quickly, goes a long way to avoiding rust. However, if you plan to keep your car a long time (over 8 years), rust proofing may be still be good idea.