Canada Serving Canada.

Suspicious clutch wear, warranty not covering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004 | 01:39 PM
|
Suspicious clutch wear, warranty not covering

Guys, need some feedback/input pretty quickly if possible...

Ok Im leasing an 04 coupe, three months into it...12000k, and the clutch is 'gone', actually all the way, wouldn't go into gear, had to be towed to the dealership.

This is mind-boggling to me, I've driven standard for 5 yrs now, and don't race/do burnouts etc...took a while to get used to the sports clutch, agreed, but still its only 12k. Warranty won't cover it since the 'dealership didnt find any manufacturer defects'

Only thing I can fathom is that the person who had it before me (I got it at 500k, someone turned it back in) did some real damage. I'm being quoted 1000$ for the clutch and 1600$ for the flywheel from the dealership...apparently its blue, been heated, and blah blah, they recommend switching it.

Pretty bummed out, about how a 50,000$ car can give me trouble this early...add to that I trust no one Ive been talking to.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any recommendations?

Old 10-12-2004 | 06:06 PM
Re: Suspicious clutch wear, warranty not covering

Dude,
Where did you get the car from?
If you got it through an Infiniti dealer as a used car then I believe they are obligated to inspect the car and provide you some sort of warranty other than the manufacturer warranty.

I don't think its fair at all to pay up 2600 only 3 months in to your lease and when you will likely dump the car at the end of the lease anyways.

If you have a mechanic friend, maybe have him check the car out with an Infiniti mechanic to see if all the stuff they are saying is true or not. If you can also take some pictures of all the damaged parts just incase.

Make sure you insist on getting a loaner for the duration that your car is sitting in their garage and ask if you will be held liable for any "storage" charges during the period and get all this in writing since this sounds like it's gonna be a while till you can sort it out.

Let me know which delaership you're dealing with.

keep us updated.

Old 10-12-2004 | 08:06 PM

Damn... now i'm hearing a lot problems already and I feel like I wanna get rid of my G as soon as possible. Yet, I have no problem with my G. I heard about 2006 Acura CL is coming back in the market and I might trade for that! But again... I still love my G... can't stop worrying about the problems might occur anytime.

Peace
Wolf

<font color=blue>Original G35 Coupe 6MT, Black on Black</font color=blue>

Old 10-13-2004 | 08:27 AM

Sorry but something isn't right here. You would have to deliberately abuse a clutch to do this in 500 kms. Something isn't right here. I don't think this is a pre-existing problem and I am not surprised the dealer isn't buying it. If this is from previous driver abuse, there would be other signs, most certainly the original tires would be gone, excessive brake wear etc. I don't think we are hearing the whole story. This type of wear is typical with drivers that ride the clutch.

Old 10-13-2004 | 12:35 PM
|

pete, I concede that there's a good chance that I've worn the clutch out some...while getting used to it. But 'riding the clutch'? Cahmahn, even riding a clutch excessively shouldn't shorten its lifespan to 12000km. I know guys who routinely race, do burnouts like they're 16 year old ginos...and still have plenty of meat on it...

think im getting f@cked on the prices too, $1600 for a stock flywheel?

Old 10-17-2004 | 01:04 AM

get in touch with Metasystem (on this forum) he went through the same thing with his clutch

Old 11-08-2004 | 07:12 PM

i think i'm having the same problem on my coupe. got it brand new, only 4 months old, and only 8500 miles. i'm bringing it in wednesday, but it's barely grabbing right now. think i can drive on it 2 more days?

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-09-2004 | 02:27 PM

Something definately isnt right. I have been driving stick for 10 years and beat the living [censored] out of the clutch from time to time. I sometimes ride out a bit to smooth things out if older ppl are in the car. But still the quickest I have ever worn out a clutch has been 80,000kms on my Type R.

Now I am positive that clutches that come in cars these days are a lot stronger than they used to be and no matter how badly you beat the living crap out of it there is no way I can see someone destroying a clutch in a stock car in less than 20K. Something is not right, or maybe I just dont know how to deliberately destroy a clutch. *confused*

2003 Ivory Pearl G35C 6 speed
19 inch Volk GTCs in Winning Gold w/Toyo T1S

Old 11-09-2004 | 02:31 PM

thanks for the insight, this is basically what i'm hearing from everyone. 8500 miles is way to short a clutch life, even if you don't know how to drive stick.

my appointment is for tomorrow, but i have the feeling they are going to make me fight for it to be replaced under the warranty.

Steve

G-Squad Hi-Res Gallery

Old 11-09-2004 | 03:39 PM

You might want to try Alta Infiniti if you are in the GTA wrek, Sam and Raquel in service are great ppl to deal with. I lost my car for 3 weeks because of ABS failure and when I got fed up because Nissan of Canada told me it would be 4 more weeks, Sam and Raquel really helped me to get Nissan to overnight the parts. My prob was really stupid, Nissan of canada would rather rent me a car for 4 weeks at around 50-100 a day then to overnight a part which would cost $200 tops using the most expensive couriers. This would have meant I would have been without my car for a total of 7 weeks if they waited for that part to be slow-boated here.

Sorry to say this since I know there are a lot of Nissan lovers that swear and die by Nissan, but newer Nissans suck *** for quality of build. I have left my car for way too many overnighters for TSBs and what not and it gets really annoying on a $50K car

2003 Ivory Pearl G35C 6 speed
19 inch Volk GTCs in Winning Gold w/Toyo T1S