Canada Serving Canada.

New G35 owner and thinking of winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run my x in the Winter and I picked up a set of Dunlop Graspics last year (1 year old) that work very well (although we did have a mild Winter here in TO so ...). Same size as the stock 225\55\17's. I looked at 16's but by my calculations they wouldn't clear the rotors.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
It's been mentioned before but worth reiterating;

do NOT, put salt in your trunk for winter ballast!
Use sand or similar aggregate.
^Kind of obvious with salt being so bloody corrosive, but I guess some people don't think.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mississaugag35x
^Kind of obvious with salt being so bloody corrosive, but I guess some people don't think.
You would think so but I knew a guy who put salt in his trunk. His thinking was that if he got stuck on ice, he'd be prepared..lol.Duh..he wouldn't believe me that it doesn't work if it's it's freezing temps.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't even realize you could buy bags of salt for that...lol.

I'm an avid Nokian Hakk supporter. 100% worth the money. Couple other things...try to use your summer window washer fluid up before it gets cold. It's nice to have -40 fluid in there when you need it! 17" size would be fine, just go with stock and possibly staggered? I'm still not certain if the VDC will get pissed off or not if they aren't staggered.

Put on a very good quality wax before it gets cold and wash often. Japanese cars of all makes are notorious for rust problems. I'm considering 3M'ing the edges of the wheel wells and rocker panels just to avoid the inevitable but I'm sure it won't come cheap.

I wouldn't bother with weight in the back to be honest. If you get in a serious situation where traction control is messed up and cannot correct the problem, you end up swinging like a pendulum.

The only things that will save you from getting in an accident this winter are:
- Winter tires
- Defensive driving (ie: watch for idiots in SUVs who think 4wd = godmode)
- Leave lots of space!

I think winter driving is a blast

Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by msommers

I'm an avid Nokian Hakk supporter. 100% worth the money. Couple other things...try to use your summer window washer fluid up before it gets cold. It's nice to have -40 fluid in there when you need it! 17" size would be fine, just go with stock and possibly staggered? I'm still not certain if the VDC will get pissed off or not if they aren't staggered.

I'm considering 3M'ing the edges of the wheel wells and rocker panels just to avoid the inevitable but I'm sure it won't come cheap.

I wouldn't bother with weight in the back to be honest. If you get in a serious situation where traction control is messed up and cannot correct the problem, you end up swinging like a pendulum.

The only things that will save you from getting in an accident this winter are:
- Winter tires
- Defensive driving (ie: watch for idiots in SUVs who think 4wd = godmode)
- Leave lots of space!
Thanks for the reply. I agree about the weight. Back in the 70's I owned a 69 Cutlass convertible and drove from London to Stratford all the time to my part time job. Talk about no weight in the a@@ end! And tons of snow to drive through and I never put weight in the trunk. I relied on my gears and my skill. I usually start mixing in winter Rain-X about now so it's all winter fluid by winter. I'm a major supporter of leaving space. In a former life, I was a driving instructor and taught winter driving to new drivers all the time. Nothing like taking a 16 year old newbie into an icy parking lot and putting the car into a spin for them! lol....most of them wished they had worn their brown pants that day But they learned what to do.
BTW...what does the 3Ming process involve?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
well i have set of 17" wheels with Blizzak tires for sale if interested - check the threads started by me for pics and description - willing to ship.