Canada Serving Canada.

So I got laid off today......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I thought they could not lay you off if you were injured and on light duty??

Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-MAN (CANADA)
One thing I'll let you all know is I'm not going out without a fight.
A month ago I filed a WSIB claim because I developed tendonitis in my rotator cuff in my shoulder, I had to go on light duties but all of the jobs there involve heavy lifting which I couldn't realy do but I did as much as I could. Today he tells me that their slow but yet another guy who got hired after me is still working..........I smell something fishy wouldn't you agree??
Hire an employment lawyer Roy. Similar thing happened to my Father in law. They ended up settling with him out of court. Most lawyers will work pro-bono but make sure the lawyer doesn't want too big of a slice of the pie. In my Father in law's case he too injured his shoulder and was placed on 'light duties' but they layed him off and kept the young guy because he was more versatile and also younger and hence more valuable to the employer as he could be trained on the CNC machine whereas my father in law was 3 years from retirement anyhow so training would not yield the employer any gain. This is refered to as an unfair employment practice!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Grass always looks greener on the other side... good luck on the search!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to contact human rights today and see what advice they give me, similar thing happened to my Wife when she went on Mat leave and she won.

On another note, just when thinks couldn't get worse I scrapped the side of my front bumper yesterday, lucky its more on the bottom and you can't realy see it. I'm not too upset at that my plan for next year is to paint the hood and bumper......that is if I keep the G

Last edited by G-MAN (CANADA); 10-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
You should see my bumper Roy lol

If you ever decide to sell the G, you know where your kits ends up!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Sorry to hear, Roy, I've been through the layoff thing more than I'd like...one of the dangers of working in tech startups.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Are you doing commercial or residential? If commercial you should look for a union because they'll find jobs for you. Anyways best of luck on the job search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
So I have a meeting with my Old Boss and a WSIB Agent on Fri morn to discuss why they laid me off instead of having me go off on comp. I actually decided not to per sue my case because I don't want to go back there but WSIB is obligated to fight for my rights hence the meeting.
This could go good or bad for me, good they will have to pay my full wage + benefits until I finish Physio, or Bad being my boss makes me sweep the shop and organize files all day every day, he'll watch me like a Hawk and find a reason to fire me.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by STCLAIRWEST
Are you doing commercial or residential? If commercial you should look for a union because they'll find jobs for you. Anyways best of luck on the job search
I want to Jammal but there is no actual Union for HVAC or Gas Techs, there is sheetmetal workers which I'm trying to get in.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds like decent news. Either way sounds better than nothing. Light duty make work projects are far better than sitting jobless. At least our ei contributions go somewhere.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Me apparently...... still.

Last edited by zeadlots; 10-20-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by G-MAN (CANADA)
So I have a meeting with my Old Boss and a WSIB Agent on Fri morn to discuss why they laid me off instead of having me go off on comp. I actually decided not to per sue my case because I don't want to go back there but WSIB is obligated to fight for my rights hence the meeting.
This could go good or bad for me, good they will have to pay my full wage + benefits until I finish Physio, or Bad being my boss makes me sweep the shop and organize files all day every day, he'll watch me like a Hawk and find a reason to fire me.
I know you don't want to go back there, but that is actually what they were hoping you would do when they laid you off. They hoped you would just say screw it, those bastards, not look into it further, and be gone to another place. It's possible they tried to screw you over and look after their own asses, which isn't right. You need to look into this and look after yourself, so this meeting is a good thing, not a bad thing. Who cares if you have to do file duties or something like that, they tried to screw you over, as well as your family, they obviously didn't even think about that or care. You're entitled to pay if you were injuried on the job, and you need to receive it. To be honest, they can't just fire you on the spot like back in the day (unless it's something huge pretty much), so don't think just because your boss is apparently going to be watching you, that if you make some "slip up" you're fired. Everything has to be documented and reported with verbal warnings and written ones for constantly disobeying actual policies. This protects and worker and the employer in the end. Since they had no reason to fire you, they tried to lay you off, it's the next best thing for them. Didn't go over as planned though, which is good. I hope your meeting goes well.

Last edited by Playa24_7; 10-21-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Well said there Playa24_7, yes I know this meeting is in my favour I'm not concerned about that I'm actually looking forward to the meeting, A friend /co-worker whom I still hang out with said their all nervous over there. LOL

Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear this man, good luck and keep your head up!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
sorry to hear this, hopefully everything works out soon. Hate to hear things like this. Good luck bro!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I got laid off today......