Canada Serving Canada.

Street Racers lose their cars - Ferrari and M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Aren't dangerous offenders?? Are you kidding me? Driving 200 km/h on public roads is most definitely a dangerous offender IMHO. You lose a family member to one of these idiots and I'm sure you'll feel differently.
I guess the thing is they DIDN'T hurt anyone they did cause harm to ANYONE. NO ONE lost a family member. As a matter of fact no speeds were actually recorded at all...how fast were they going did it just appear fast to the lady on the side of the road maybe they were only going 75 or 99 in a 60 zone it dosent say just that they raced up a hill.alot of quick judgments and assumptions in this thread not many facts though. Again looking at that road it looks like a spot that is very isolated and if they wanted to go kill themselves with out harming others that looks the spot to do it, take away the random chance a lady and her kids were there and they picked a spot were if an incident did happen it was just them that may be harmed, none the less the details of speeds and even if they were side by side racing or just going fast on an isolated road are not answered in the article. So we are just really guessing at this point of what they were doing or how fast they were going.

Originally Posted by HomieG35
Fake. They must have worked in America. Canucks can not afford these cars. (And I won't even add in an "eh".)
I worked in the DFW area I could buy about 5 new homes there for the cost of my house in Canada and I am not even in a major city. Just so you know the only people that use the word "eh" are americans using it to describe Canadians

Originally Posted by bigc
"...some broad and her kids..."

wow

Out of your 6,700 posts I bet less than 200 of them are useful. Or even contribute to the discussion at hand.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 11-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Sorry for my math...i have the flu didnt re read what i said im sure you guys can figure out what i ment.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I guess the thing is they DIDN'T hurt anyone they did cause harm to ANYONE. NO ONE lost a family member. As a matter of fact no speeds were actually recorded at all...how fast were they going did it just appear fast to the lady on the side of the road maybe they were only going 75 or 100 in a 60 zone it dosent say just that they were racing...alot of soap boxes in this thread
Ok, so they didn't hurt anyone this time so I guess that makes it alright.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No matter how you slice it, them boys ain't dangerous offenders. You might think so. But the law doesn't. They don't have a criminal record (that we know of). Unfortunately for you, me, and what about bob, its true. I completely understand where your coming from garnet. But they havnt killed/assaulted/etc (that we know of) anyone. And it's unlikely they are capable of being one as most of us aren't. Testosterone and idiocy caused the offenders to do what they did. Thus making me believe the situation should have been treated otherwise, not saying their punishment was unjust. Just not appropriately applicable. Once again, it is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by forweareLegion; 11-29-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok, so they didn't hurt anyone this time so I guess that makes it alright.
If you read my post NO SPEEDS RECORDED, no accurate description of what is considered "racing up the hill" but yet you guys are ready to tar and feather these guys. I hope none of the guys in this thread are ever on a jury you guys would lock someone up and throw away the key with no real evidence being presented....very little was in the report. I would be willing to bet if it goes to court they both get the cars back it sounds like the ONLY evidence against them is an eye witness, and eye witnesses are very unreliable at best. Yes judge I saw to cars racing up a hill...how fast were they going? I don't know but it looked fast! Ok well lets sell their cars because you were standing on the side of the road and "think" they were going fast

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Traveling Administrator
If you read my post NO SPEEDS RECORDED, no accurate description of what is considered "racing up the hill" but yet you guys are ready to tar and feather these guys. I hope none of the guys in this thread are ever on a jury you guys would lock someone up and throw away the key with no real evidence being presented....very little was in the report. I would be willing to bet if it goes to court they both get the cars back it sounds like the ONLY evidence against them is an eye witness, and eye witnesses are very unreliable at best. Yes judge I saw to cars racing up a hill...how fast were they going? I don't know but it looked fast! Ok well lets sell their cars because you were standing on the side of the road and "think" they were going fast
Look, I am simply going by what was posted in the article in the OP......in which it states that speeds were estimated in the 200km/h range. I completely realize what the word "estimated" means, but it also tells me that they weren't driving anywhere close to the speed limit either. IF the report is accurate I have zero remorse or tolerance for people that street race and take innocent lives in their own hands. My family's safety is more important than some azzhat street racing and losing their car.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
i don't see what the speed has to do with endangering the public. not much difference in lethality between 60 and 120 mph, it just makes a bigger mess. from reading most of the posts on this thread, i guess if you're caught texting while you drive, you should have your car taken away. if you're eating, or fiddling with the radio or talking on the phone, you should have your car taken away. if you've been up for 18 hours and driving home drowsy, you should have your car taken away, since all these things that most people do on the highway are just as likely to cause an accident and kill someone.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
i don't see what the speed has to do with endangering the public. not much difference in lethality between 60 and 120 mph, it just makes a bigger mess. so, by reading most of the posts on this thread, i guess if you're caught texting while you drive, you should have your car taken away. if you're eating, or fiddling with the radio or talking on the phone, you should have your car taken away. if you've been up for 18 hours and driving home drowsy, you should have your car taken away, since all these most people do on the highway are just as likely to cause an accident and kill someone.
So you are saying that the impact of hitting something at 120mph is no different than hitting something at 60mph???? I don't think so.

And I completely agree that texting, eating, etc is distracting and can easily cause an accident as well. It's completely irresponsible behaviour behind the wheel of a car.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
So you are saying that the impact of hitting something at 120mph is no different than hitting something at 60mph???? I don't think so.

And I completely agree that texting, eating, etc is distracting and can easily cause an accident as well. It's completely irresponsible behaviour behind the wheel of a car.
that's exactly what i'm saying and i know the science backs it up. you think drunk drivers kill people because they're doing over a hundred? and let me get this straight, you agree that if you're caught texting, you should have your car confiscated?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
You keep bringing your family into this, do they hang out on obscure mountain roads often?? My families safety is the most important thing in my life as well. However I would rather see them take away impaired drivers vehicles, pedophiles vehicles and houses or even repeat offenders is another story everyone can have a lapse in judgment and maybe entitled to some leniency. As far as street racers go at least they were not in a populated area like most street racers. That doesn't make it right but at least they were smart enough to take it to remote areas unfortunately a family was on that road and although they not hurt yes they could have been and no doubt if it can be proven but I doubt it can be they should be punished and fined but am not in agreement with the permanent car seizure if the guy owned the ferrari free and clear it would be a $275,000 mistake, people that commit manslaughter are not fined that harsh. It is a cash grab by B.C. government if you ask me.

I also would be far more worried about the people driving around texting a surfing the net on smart phones than I would be about two guys on an isolated road, exceeding the speed limit. I almost got killed last week because a Semi pulled out in front of me when I went past him he was talking on a phone should the semi be confiscated and sold he could have killed when he illegally ran a stop sign with his potentially deadly weapon??? Now he can provide for his family....where do we draw line on when we take peoples possessions away??

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 11-29-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and agree with Gord here.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Traveling Administrator
You keep bringing your family into this, do they hang out on obscure mountain roads often?? My families safety is the most important thing in my life as well. However I would rather see them take away impaired drivers vehicles, pedophiles vehicles and houses or even repeat offenders is another story everyone can have a lapse in judgment and maybe entitled to some leniency. As far as street racers go at least they were not in a populated area like most street racers. That doesn't make it right but at least they were smart enough to take it to remote areas unfortunately a family was on that road and although they not hurt yes they could have been and no doubt if it can be proven but I doubt it can be they should be punished and fined but am not in agreement with the permanent car seizure if the guy owned the ferrari free and clear it would be a $275,000 mistake, people that commit manslaughter are not fined that harsh. It is a cash grab by B.C. government if you ask me.

I also would be far more worried about the people driving around texting a surfing the net on smart phones than I would be about two guys on an isolated road, exceeding the speed limit. I almost got killed last week because a Semi pulled out in front of me when I went past him he was talking on a phone should the semi be confiscated and sold he could have killed when he illegally ran a stop sign with his potentially deadly weapon??? Now he can provide for his family....where do we draw line on when we take peoples possessions away??
Of course I bring up family in this type of a thread as this who is typically affected in careless incidents like this. If you suggest that because this happened on a "obscure mountain road", it means that it's more safe, I would disagree. As remote of an area it was, they still almost hit innocent people.

We obviously have different views on the subject so I won't beat a dead horse any longer.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say let them keep the cars as museum pieces and restrict their licences forevermore to driving a LADA. That would teach them!!!

On the plus side at least they were sober and in an isolated area, not that I condon this behavoir AT ALL as I have a family as well but I'm sure many of us have caught ourselves in the heat of a moment and made the rational decision to ease off the accelerator not realizing ow very fast we were going. Put any of us behind the wheel of cars with horsepower like this and I'm sure the temptation to speed would be hard to resist. Again not condoning the behavior just can see how it happened

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
They got caught. I dont know why people are saying they only do that in Canada. The LAPD was seizing cars for street racing. If you break a certain speed you should have your car taken.

@whoever said we have taken cars over 100 we knew the consequences and how it was wrong. That doesnt make it right since we have done it. If we were caught you could have expected the same.

I think they need to seize the cars and sell the outright. Thats bull that they have to pay a percentage back to owners.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Of course I bring up family in this type of a thread as this who is typically affected in careless incidents like this. If you suggest that because this happened on a "obscure mountain road", it means that it's more safe, I would disagree. As remote of an area it was, they still almost hit innocent people.

We obviously have different views on the subject so I won't beat a dead horse any longer.
you're going down a slippery slope when you let the government overstep their boundries. you seem not to want to admit that what these guys did is not any more dangerous than people texting or falling asleep at the wheel and that they should be treated in the same fashion. if so, i'm guessing that you would be ok with seeing people caught texting or driving drowsy have their cars taken away. why cant we agree that taking away their license to drive for a year, five years, forever, is much more effective and logical than taking away property that these people purchased legally.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 11-29-2010 at 11:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Street Racers lose their cars - Ferrari and M6