Canada Serving Canada.

Who else is refusing to put on winters??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
All I can say is, I'll be glad when they make it madatory to run winter tires like it is in Quebec.
They should make it mandatory for all RWD cars but my explorer runs like a champ on all seasons, so does the wife's Audi. IMO it would be a lot safer with snow tires but doesn't warrant the extra $$ and the headache of swapping tires every season.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whatacar
Yeah, but with the weather being unpredictable these days. I can remember one accident where stopping two inches sooner would've been a wish granted. Just saying on any given day....

IMO if it's not "Mandatory", the wise will do it and the others won't. Still leaves me looking out for those that exercised their rights in a snowstorm.
Safe driving everyone whatever you're on.
You make me realize a very good point - or two... If one life is saved at the cost of a hundred thousand people (or many more) buying winter tires, it's probably worth it. Also, as you said the wise will and the rest won't. The "rest" can cause accidents still affecting the wise.

Unfortunately, we'll still have the idiots on the road causing accidents and jams regardless of tire choice.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 AM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Still a bit South of ya, but Seattle did get a city-crippling 1" last week...and I am keeping the summers on for at LEAST the weekend for one last meet

We did put the Blizzaks on the wife's FX tho, so if I get stuck she can bail me out haha

Remember 80% Driver 20% equipment when it comes to bad conditions driving

Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by LaserRedG35VS
Evil Winter is almost here. I personally will not be driving my car in the snow, and i highly suggest others don't. I live in Nj and my mechanic tells me all the time about how 4 of his prev G35 customers lost their cars in the snow. RWD is bad on all platforms that aren't dry. Plus, I almost died the first time I drove my car on snow! Good luck to those who must drive their cars in the snow and be careful.
I dont know about the Coupes, but my RWD sedan is doing phenomenally this winter with my Continental ExtremeWinterContact Snow tires. It stops and turns on a dime and accelerates with no hesitation what so ever.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
i was thinking about mounting my new rimss couple days ago LOL, winter aint here yett

Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeRider
i was thinking about mounting my new rimss couple days ago LOL, winter aint here yett
Wow you must live in a bubble because I'm in London right now and it is wintery here, and I talked to my daughter on the phone yesterday and she said there was a 1-2 feet of snow in my driveway in Kincardine.

All I can say is IMHO it is very irresponsible for people not to run winter tires if their temps get below freezing during the winter months. It is their stopping and turning ability that concerns me. There is always icy roads or black ice possible when you are in near or below freezing temperatures.

Drive safe and drive defensively.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bingo. Give that man a cigar.

I hope it happens here soon...winter tires that is...not 1-2 feet of snow. +7 here this am and high forecast of +9

Originally Posted by GEE35FX
All I can say is, I'll be glad when they make it mandatory to run winter tires like it is in Quebec.
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Wow you must live in a bubble because I'm in London right now and it is wintery here, and I talked to my daughter on the phone yesterday and she said there was a 1-2 feet of snow in my driveway in Kincardine.

All I can say is IMHO it is very irresponsible for people not to run winter tires if their temps get below freezing during the winter months. It is their stopping and turning ability that concerns me. There is always icy roads or black ice possible when you are in near or below freezing temperatures.

Drive safe and drive defensively.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Rated M

i've seen a test on those tires Janik. Very highly rated.

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I dont know about the Coupes, but my RWD sedan is doing phenomenally this winter with my Continental ExtremeWinterContact Snow tires. It stops and turns on a dime and accelerates with no hesitation what so ever.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You are extactly right summer tires suck in cold weather.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Nice! I bought the same ones for my car! Tirerack's review tipped it for me, very informative:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135

I've always used all season tires on my previous cars, and I have gotten stuck at least a couple times every year.. (I live in a bay area that rarely sees a snow plow) But these winter tires make driving a breeze. No more getting stuck for me!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
same here slacking, but it looks so ugly on stock 17s lol.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i put my winters 3 weeks ago, besides summer tires should not be let driving under 10 degrees anyways. i have my micheline x-ice2 s on 225/55/17 all around, it turns out it didnt trigger my VDC or anything else yet, besides it better than the stock recommended sizes, since its better it doesnt rub when i tried to get out of my steep underground garage.

come one guys, u dont wanna risk ur and other's lives. "i'll do it tomorrow" is plain laziness.

Last edited by musti82; 12-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Rated M

You're right about being much safer with snows. That should be reason for making all vehicles in most of Canada wear snows. How much is your safety and that of other drivers worth? Having an extra set of tires and swapping them out costs very little over the long run, with less wear on your all seasons.

The primary safety issue isn't with forward traction. It's mostly stopping which is not aided with AWD. AWD gives you a false sense of security with superior forward traction and to some extent better steering but weaker stopping with all seasons.

Originally Posted by MontG35
They should make it mandatory for all RWD cars but my explorer runs like a champ on all seasons, so does the wife's Audi. IMO it would be a lot safer with snow tires but doesn't warrant the extra $$ and the headache of swapping tires every season.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i am also amazed the majority of the population in Canada is so cheap when it comes to winter tires(thank god most of the people here go for better tires like micheline,blizzak,and other sweedish,finnish brands)

i calculated the price difference for best winter tire and the worse/sub-par tire is around 100-200 bucks for a whole set.

so if u even have a minimal accident its gonna cost u easy minimum of thousand bucks = you have to pay for repairs+ insurance claim premium increase.

most of canadians have SUVs , family vans, which they are caring their baby boy/girl and children and themselves.

the reason i am ranting is, i work for a fin. inst., most of the people i have seen for the last 3 years, spend so much money on stupid/useless stuff but when it comes to saving, or spending money on safety of their lives(life insurance), they are so cheap.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
...do you think I need snow tires yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who else is refusing to put on winters??