Canada Serving Canada.

The New President

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2004 | 01:31 PM
|
The New President

So, what do my Canadian friends think about our election results. Not sure what the political situation up there is like, so I wondered how Bush's win might affect US - Canada relations. Were most of you hoping for a Kerry win?

[b][i]Proudly GroundingGear™ Equipped!

Old 11-06-2004 | 03:28 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Re: The New President

I'm relieved that you have GW again. He's mostly credible and strong and this time a better choice (IMHO). His re-election will have a calming effect on world affairs.
I've heard many pros and cons about this, but to my mind, he's the man.
The good relationship btw North and South of the 40th should continue and grow. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-07-2004 | 06:22 PM

Not happy at all.

2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT

Old 11-08-2004 | 12:27 AM
Administrator

I gotta say, after seeing Fahrenheit 9/11, I'm surprised GW got in again!

Otherwise, I'm not sure if it'll affect us much. With some uncertainty prior to the election, our CDN dollar gained significantly to the USD. I expect it'll settle down now.

Kerry is said to be more protectionist re Canadian-US trade, but I'm not sure if Bush is any better in that respect. He's coming for a visit, which may indicate that he wants to get a bit friendlier, but we'll see.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 11-19-2004 | 09:39 AM

Hey Gord, I watched 9-11 and it had the opposite effect on me. I think Moore is a left wing nutcase. Even by Canadian standards. He leads his viewers. George Bush sits in a classroom after being told about New York and we hear Moore saying " What is Bush thinking now, is he thinking......." . This type of manipulation of viewers discredits the presenters point of view. Since the broadcast, critics have found over 60 deliberately misleading and inaccurate statements in this film.

I watched this campaign closely. George Bush has values and stands by them. Kerry is a typical liberal lawyer. Unlike Canada where Kerrys attacks may have worked, enough Americans saw through Kerry's facade and spoke. I do think the better man won. JMO

Old 11-19-2004 | 05:28 PM

You asked so don’t flame me for my thoughts.

Other than the fanatic religious right (very scary people), I cannot understand why they say he won the moral majority. He has killed more than 250,000 innocent civilians. Innocent people, how is this a moral person? He does not even recognize the people he has killed and calls them casualties of his war. Bush comes across as a total idiot to me and I believe he is just a war puppet.

I was in the states (Nevada) a few weeks ago and I do not understand the mentality. They voted down on having a minimum wage (not a minimum wage increase) but they support going into dept (tens of thousands per person) and killing the US economy with Bush – what gives

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by G35xawd on 11/19/04 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-19-2004 | 06:50 PM
Administrator

PPP:

Yeah, Moore can definitely lead his audience, and I agree that he manipulates a point of view. He's good at what he does, and I admit that I've always found him entertaining, ever since 'Roger and Me'.

I really don't know which man should have won. I'm just saying I was surprised that he got back in, especially after what was presented in F. 9-11. Most Americans (Canadians as well) don't follow politics nor campaigns that closely, and with the exposure in the movie, most would have just gone with the view presented (or I thought).

Something about Kerry scares me as well. If I were eligible to vote, I'm not sure whom I would have gone with.

With the up-coming Alberta Provincial election, well......[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004 | 09:37 PM
It's Showtime**
Premier Member

G35xawd, I will try not to flame. Where on earth did you get this 250,000 from. Propaganda. Bush is not an idiot. He has led the U.S. during one of the most difficult times in its history. Idiots don't get to be President of the United States. He may have some difficulty with public speaking but he is no idiot. Even Chretien who sounded like a blithering idiot was anything but.

The majority spoke in the U.S. and as a Canadian who is proud to have America as a neighbor, I support their decision. That's what friends do.

Hey Gord, we have no say in Edmonton. Klein is a shoe in and there is nothing we can do about it. The election is decided south of this city unfortunately. Like him or not, I think he is here for another 3 3/4 years :-)

Ivory 6mt

Old 11-20-2004 | 10:41 AM

Sorry you are correct, 250000 is too much. I believe this is civilians and “terrorists” For this Bush war on Iraq, it is only a measly 100,000 civilians. Do a search on Google “Civilians killed Iraq” and you will find many dated worthy news sources. I guess 100,000 innocent people is nothing to care about. Not to mention that most of the homes and building in the cites are flattened. No big deal I guess but since it is our neighbor we should support him.? Give me a break and open your eyes and start thinking for yourself.

Old 11-20-2004 | 11:40 AM
Administrator

Looks like this is turning out to be one of those "Religion & Politics" things, ie. a topic best avoided for discussion, so let's not escalate the issue.

The US has a great deal of influence and power in the Western World, especially re Canada since they are our immediate neighbours. We have to trust that the US citizens made the best choice for the US, though it affects many more than just themselves. Nothing the rest of us can do about it anyway.

Old 11-20-2004 | 03:50 PM
It's Showtime**
Premier Member

G35xawd, unlike the hoards of liberals in this Country and their politically correct views based on disinformation from the likes of Michael Moore, I understand the situation in the mideast, am well researched and could write you a novel on what is the true underlying situation there. Rather than preach I will accept our positions as opposed. I believe the current course the U.S. is taking is necessary. Civilian casualties in war are inevitable even though highly unfortunate. Why do you think Iran is desperately seeking nuclear capability. This is all related. The real agenda has been clear since 1967. Below is an image to hint what this is all really about. Enough said though because one thing I have learned, liberals are hateful and rather than speak facts, they tend to discredit any position contrary to theirs as the ranting of Red Necks, but I can live with that.

Ivory 6mt

389885-MFAJ0a0n0.jpg

Old 11-21-2004 | 02:53 AM

Well...Dirty politics...You never know what is going on under the table. Bush, Kerry...In my opinion, basically they are all the same. Its never about the Democracy...Its power, and $.
Whats the war on Iraq anyways? Can anyone give a good reason to attack iraq other then oil? Why not give the UN some more time to search for the "weapon of mass distruction"? If its for self protect, why not go to war against North Korea, im sure you'll find weapon of mass distruction there easier although there is no natrual resources there...
And as i said, this is only my opinion maybe im wrong, but i just have doubts on the war. But i also think G.W.Bush is a very strong leader, and much more powerful then Kerry (in terms of political power).
At last, i think Bush will be more friendly to Canada at his second term.