Canada Serving Canada.

6MT: varying clutch engagement point

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
6MT: varying clutch engagement point

So, I did Ian's clutch mod (assist spring delete) a few weeks ago and the difference in feel is night and day

I doubt this made any difference to what I noticed today:

Clutch engagement point was WAY lower when I first set off on today's drive - practically on the floor. After driving for a few miles (US car...), the engagement point went back to normal. Glad I haven't done the other mod yet as the car would likely have been un-driveable. Hydraulic clutch obviously - may need bleeding?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought Ian's Sedan from him, I noticed the same thing with my car and Ian said its normal. You also may notice some days there it a bit of chatter (hopping feel) when releasing the clutch its odd.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
Change out your clutch fluid and the cruise control sensor thread that down to where it touches the pedal so you have no play. You can adjust the pedal by undoing the two nuts and thread it to move the pedal down. Make sure you do not take it too far and have it engaging all the time. I would make sure your clutch fluid is clear or very very light yellow.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would this mod work on an 07 HR 350z?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by G-MAN (CANADA)
I bought Ian's Sedan from him, I noticed the same thing with my car and Ian said its normal. You also may notice some days there it a bit of chatter (hopping feel) when releasing the clutch its odd.
And I still have the exhaust available...

Anyway - my clutch was glazed by the PO and hops/judders most of the time anyway. Not really sure it should be normal though, unless there's aire in the fluid.

Originally Posted by faiz23
Change out your clutch fluid and the cruise control sensor thread that down to where it touches the pedal so you have no play. You can adjust the pedal by undoing the two nuts and thread it to move the pedal down. Make sure you do not take it too far and have it engaging all the time. I would make sure your clutch fluid is clear or very very light yellow.
The fluid was flushed, including clutch, last spring when I let the stealer mess with it. After they did, my clutch bombed completely and I had to take it back to be properly bled. My guess is the fluid should still be fine since it's less than 3000 miles since that.

Originally Posted by HellaFly
Would this mod work on an 07 HR 350z?
Not sure. Look under your dash for a spring that fits between the pedal and the pedal bracket.

Last edited by audiophool; 08-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
IDK if it's "normal" but I experienced it from time to time on Roy's car as well.
I haven't seen may other posts about this.
It might be interesting to run a poll in the 2nd gen section.

If I had to guess it's one of two things.
- clutch line needs to be bled. (not sure if this is normal on Infiniti)
- early indication that slave unit may be a problem

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, it hasn't happened since and as noted earlier, the whole system was bled by the stealer quite recently. Believe me, I was a bit miffed when I had to book another appointment to return the car due to the poor workmanship of the first visit.

On another topic, the shuddering clutch: I jumped on it a bit the other day, slipping it more than usual for a jackrabbit start but then was creeping along with traffic and man, the stench of burning from the thing!! I've never smelled anything like what this clutch smelled like. Since then however, the thing is juddering less. It's been pretty much intolerable for months and now it drives OK. Strange, but

Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
^^spoke too soon. Pedal low again this morning, up after a dozen shifts.