2005 G35x Manual Mode/M intermittent / works 20-30% of the time - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > Regional Forums > North America > Canada
Reload this Page >

2005 G35x Manual Mode/M intermittent / works 20-30% of the time

Canada Serving Canada.

2005 G35x Manual Mode/M intermittent / works 20-30% of the time

Old 11-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Angry 2005 G35x Manual Mode/M intermittent / works 20-30% of the time

Been through hell and back with this issue. I just want to finalize it as nothing else major is wrong my 05 G35x ... It's got high KM, 230+, but runs like a dream!Sometimes it will stay in M-mode the whole trip, but MOST of time its kicks back into D after about 5-10 seconds after starting the car and driving. Once it fails, it will not register M mode until you the next time you drive, potentially lol. Occasionally, you can turn off the car and restart it and it will fix it. Also, the downshift/upshift doesn't register sometimes and may take several taps to actually shift, but it's the downshift really 99% of the time... it also very rarely will shift own its own in M-Mode, down shifts only, without human input, which is very annoying, but this is rare. Outside tempature also seems to affect its oeprtion of working or not. I'm sure all the issues are related to one thing... I hope! Because it does work fine sometimes...

Work done already to address this issue:
- Replaced shifter assembly - as suggested by Infiniti ( Did not work ) Cost: $1000.00
- New valve body/TCM - as suggested by Infiniti , was covered under my used car warranty ( IT DID NOT WORK ! ) only had to pay $700 under warranty, would've been $2,800 otherwise..

Now Infiniti is saying it's my combination meter ( Guage Cluster ) , showing code: P1815 Manual Mode Switch - I'm RELUCTANT to listen to them anymore... Quote on the Combination is $2000, but Iíve been looking into used ones or refurbishing my current one for much, much cheap than that. My warranty might cover it, but I hate to waste it on issues like this! It does make sense that this could be the issue though, but why wouldn't they diagnose this in the first place?? Dealerships are total rip off! but most places say they are your best bet for this issue...

Some other research I've done, people say it could be a cam sensor, but I don't see how that could cause all these issues...Could it be a speed/wheel sensor? Tranny fluid?
????????

It does have a minor electrical issues in the combination meter - left turn signal on dash is faint inside most of the time, and sometimes work normal, and the gas gauge gives a faulty reading. I don't think this is this all connected to the M-mode issue and the combination meter? Am I going to just keep wasting money, or, have I eliminated all possible causes and the combination meter ( Gauge Cluster ) is the fix?? I need this fixed now!! LOL!

Please help!!!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Clean your grounds? Check wiring harness for issues?
Install grounding kit?
Just throwing some possibilities out there. Could just be a loose wire or a bad connection somewhere. GL