G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x manual mode not working

Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question G35x manual mode not working

Ok so YES i used the search button and googled it but not having much luck so i need some input here before i take it to the stealership. My manual mode doesnt work anymore for some reason. very rarely it does work then stops while driving. I've read that its the whole shifter assembly then i read that its the transmission sensor. I read that the shifter assembly is very pricey and i dont wanna take it to infinity i do my own work on my car. eGay has this piece for fairly cheap but like i said i need to know what im dealing with here before blowing money Name:  20140315_161318_zpshm4aefc2.jpg
Views: 9667
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Pop open your area under the shifter and see if anything wacky is going on with the electrical connector. You could have a wire hanging on by 1 thread?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Pop open your area under the shifter and see if anything wacky is going on with the electrical connector. You could have a wire hanging on by 1 thread?
wish it was that easy but from what i read i gotta remove the whole middle console, navi, radio everything :/

Old 03-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Not much we can do from here. It's either the transmitting electronics in the shifter, or the receiving unit in the trans.

Only way to tell is to break out the multimeter and start testing electrical components. Odds are it's the shifter, but to test it you'll have to take it out, grab the wiring diagrams, get a multimeter, and test it.

Short of that, you can also try buying a used one and cross your fingers.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 AM
unfortunately IDK how to do all that so i ordered a shifter assembly off eGay. See how that works

Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My 05X does it too! But it is intermittent. It won't be functioning. Stop the car going to store not start it up put it in manual mode and it works! I just don't have a clue to what's causing that. I hope somebody comes through and it solves the problem

Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well considering 99% of us don't have this issue and you do, would you care to take a Digital MM to your car and figure it out?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 PM
whats a digital MM? :/ but from countless hours of research i read its the whole assembly. So i ordered one from ebay. Heres what me and my friend did the other day. we took the panel off to the shifter, exposing it, we cleaned it, (without taking it apart) cleaned the terminals and checked the contacts where the + and - is. took it for a spin without putting it back together and the tips worked.afterwards my moronic fried soaks the assembly with contact cleaner and i said yo wtf dude ure not supposed to SOAK electronics! put it back together and an hr later it stopped working period. I will keep u guys updated when the shifter comes in and post pics

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by demo401
whats a digital MM? :/ but from countless hours of research i read its the whole assembly. So i ordered one from ebay. Heres what me and my friend did the other day. we took the panel off to the shifter, exposing it, we cleaned it, (without taking it apart) cleaned the terminals and checked the contacts where the + and - is. took it for a spin without putting it back together and the tips worked.afterwards my moronic fried soaks the assembly with contact cleaner and i said yo wtf dude ure not supposed to SOAK electronics! put it back together and an hr later it stopped working period. I will keep u guys updated when the shifter comes in and post pics

Aw sheet. Yeah covering it in that contact cleaner may have hurt you. A digital multimeter measures voltage and resistance across a circuit. Might call it a voltmeter I guess.

Hopefully it dries.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

What happens when you push over the shifter? Does it stay in one gear or does it just show D?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
What happens when you push over the shifter? Does it stay in one gear or does it just show D?
when i slap it over to manual it just says D. before my friend went "stupid" with the spray it worked on and off. sometimes i'd have to shut the car off and start again then will stop later on. If urs is doing it too its a matter of time before it stops completely but dont worry its ot the tranny itself

Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Page 164

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/at.pdf

basically you are looking for 12V power on pin 7 and 8 when you shift.

Hooking up to a Consult-II device could easily find the issue if you read the surrounding pages in that section. Of course, who has one of those sitting around. In this case, it might be almost worth a trip to the dealer just to hook up and confirm the issue, prior to myself pulling the shifter out. However, from the sounds of things...it looks like your shifter assey is fubar'ed.

Of course, how do you show up to a dealer and ask them to specifically do that?? I mentioned I did my own AWD service to my service manager once and he looked at me like I just F'ed the car up permanently.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Page 164

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/at.pdf

basically you are looking for 12V power on pin 7 and 8 when you shift.

Hooking up to a Consult-II device could easily find the issue if you read the surrounding pages in that section. Of course, who has one of those sitting around. In this case, it might be almost worth a trip to the dealer just to hook up and confirm the issue, prior to myself pulling the shifter out. However, from the sounds of things...it looks like your shifter assey is fubar'ed.

Of course, how do you show up to a dealer and ask them to specifically do that?? I mentioned I did my own AWD service to my service manager once and he looked at me like I just F'ed the car up permanently.
yea i dont have one of those handy and i started to red the link u posted. im a bit confused, I have an appointment with the stealership on tuesday and 140 per hour to diagnose the whole car. also my shifter assembly i bought from ebay will also arrive that day. will keep everyone posted

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
i got the shifter from fedex today. gonna install it before i take it to the stealership.
Name:  530afa25-68a5-4e6f-b0e9-ad1f73da5b22_zps9b4ed196.jpg
Views: 10138
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Good luck. Let us know how it works. I have a feeling you'll be all set.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x manual mode not working