G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x manual mode not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 02:24 AM
Received 398 Likes on 361 Posts
Now it seems anytime my MM mode starts working, it just stops working again after about a minute or two of driving. This keeps getting worse lol.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:48 AM
And it happened today. I got on the freeway and noticed the RPM’s higher than normal for going 80. My transmission is now stuck in 4th gear. None of the other gears work. Awesome! 😒

Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
And it happened today. I got on the freeway and noticed the RPM’s higher than normal for going 80. My transmission is now stuck in 4th gear. None of the other gears work. Awesome! 😒
That sucks man! have you tried pulling codes yet?

Old 07-25-2020, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
That sucks man! have you tried pulling codes yet?
Yeah codes are P1757 and P1759. Front brake solenoid inside the transmission.

I ordered the solenoid and I’ll be getting it this Sunday. But I did some research and found out one of the contacts has a tendency to break inside the TCM. The fix is to re-solder it. The damn thing is located inside the valve body though on late 04 models and up. So I’m gonna have to get a little messy. I’ll try to take some pics. I’m hoping this fixes my intermittent MM issues too.

But disconnecting the battery for a few hours did reset the TCM though. When I hooked the battery back up and started driving the car for the first time, the transmission worked fine all the way up to 4th gear but couldn’t shift into 5th. The TCM noticed something is wrong and locked the transmission into 4th gear as a safety measure. Thats how Nissan designed the system apparently.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 AM

Alright...spent a few hours removing the valve body/TCM. And yup, the contact for the front brake solenoid was snapped! I don’t even know how this śhit even breaks...its not a moving part and its somewhat flexible. Damn Nissan! 😒 Soldered it back up and my transmission works fine again. Manumatic is still intermittent though....sucks.

On top of it all, my climate control buttons and compass suddenly went inop today. I noticed when the lights went out all of a sudden. This damn car is just asking me to sell it 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, gotta figure that out now. Hopefully its just a fuse that blew randomly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scorpi0:
jbarnett250 (07-27-2020), tiguy99 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
shoulda put in a transgo while you're in there (forget if you have this already or not, read your build thread a while back). i just put mine in and it's so much better than stock. and you did all that hard work to get the vb out.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
shoulda put in a transgo while you're in there (forget if you have this already or not, read your build thread a while back). i just put mine in and it's so much better than stock. and you did all that hard work to get the vb out.
I needed the car fixed ASAP cause its my daily. I can always drop it again if I ever change my mind. Its not too bad. Did u have any MM issues before the transgo? Did it fix it?

Old 07-27-2020, 03:23 PM
No my MM was fine before and after the install. If I had some clue about why everyone has these MM issues, I'd be chiming in. If it's not the micro switches just going bad... I don't know what it would be. One thing I learned looking at the transmission manual is that these things are really complicated and it's not easy to figure out how it all works on your own. If the micro switches are sending the right signals wherever they need to go, I don't know what else is in charge of actuating the transmission and how to debug it. Everything beyond that white connector under the shifter is a complete black box to me.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I needed the car fixed ASAP cause its my daily. I can always drop it again if I ever change my mind. Its not too bad. Did u have any MM issues before the transgo? Did it fix it?
Is it possible to get 2 quotes from a good Transmission shop to diagnose/repair the problem

1. Valvebody removed
2. With the Valvebody still on the car (will probably be way more expensive)

Wondering if its some other circuit or relay somewhere that's impacted

Old 07-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
No my MM was fine before and after the install. If I had some clue about why everyone has these MM issues, I'd be chiming in. If it's not the micro switches just going bad... I don't know what it would be. One thing I learned looking at the transmission manual is that these things are really complicated and it's not easy to figure out how it all works on your own. If the micro switches are sending the right signals wherever they need to go, I don't know what else is in charge of actuating the transmission and how to debug it. Everything beyond that white connector under the shifter is a complete black box to me.
trying to attach a short video of mm shifting with the transgo installed. 1-2 shift
will chirp the tires at 5k.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Mardwin Rosario
After replacing a shifter assembly, a valve body, and trying a tiptronic reset I found on YouTube nothing worked on my 06 G35. Only after I got a valve body upgrade from Level 10, my Transmission builder told me that the problem was with the cluster not reading the signal from the tiptronic switch. After my cluster replacement there wasn’t anymore problems going in and out of manual mode.

I found out the hard way but when buying a used cluster make sure the cluster is going to work with your G35 because there are variations between years and if or not your car has navigation.

Alright...spent a few hours removing the valve body/TCM. And yup, the contact for the front brake solenoid was snapped! I don’t even know how this śhit even breaks...its not a moving part and its somewhat flexible. Damn Nissan! 😒 Soldered it back up and my transmission works fine again. Manumatic is still intermittent though....sucks.

On top of it all, my climate control buttons and compass suddenly went inop today. I noticed when the lights went out all of a sudden. This damn car is just asking me to sell it 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, gotta figure that out now. Hopefully its just a fuse that blew randomly.
Could be heat cycles and/or vibrations that cause the little contacts to flex and eventually break.
Also, its mentioned that the MM issues could be related to the instrument cluster ^

Old 07-28-2020, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by andrewl_v35
Could be heat cycles and/or vibrations that cause the little contacts to flex and eventually break.
Also, its mentioned that the MM issues could be related to the instrument cluster ^
Could be, but all the other contacts are fine. Its just that one that usually breaks on these cars. I dont think it gets hot enough in there to affect any metals. If that was the case then the flimsy plastic case for the TCM wouldve been toast. Could be vibrations from the solenoid itself...who knows!! Anyway, I did a pretty good repair and even bridged a piece of copper wire over the break point...if the solder does crack again, the power will still flow thru the wire. I’ll make a DIY for it. I got pics.

As for the cluster, I dont remember if I tried driving it around in MM mode when I had my cluster out last time. But I actually wanna try it now to be sure.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37x
Could be, but all the other contacts are fine. Its just that one that usually breaks on these cars. I dont think it gets hot enough in there to affect any metals. If that was the case then the flimsy plastic case for the TCM wouldve been toast. Could be vibrations from the solenoid itself...who knows!! Anyway, I did a pretty good repair and even bridged a piece of copper wire over the break point...if the solder does crack again, the power will still flow thru the wire. I’ll make a DIY for it. I got pics.

As for the cluster, I dont remember if I tried driving it around in MM mode when I had my cluster out last time. But I actually wanna try it now to be sure.
Ok guys I been searching far and wide I also did rewiring in my console area. I seen a video of a guy explaining that the gauge cluster fixed it. I saw everyone from a to z and nothing fixed it. The only two guys that fixed their mm was by spraying some contact spray and I did that no luck. Then ine guy said gauge cluster, and he had done the tcm and valve body which I ALSO got quoted by the dealer when asking them. So hell no. Buddy went through with it no fix. Was the gauge cluster.

I'm gona try this next but has anyone figured it out?
So far my only last culprit would be the cluster but I have no fricken clue how it could be connected. Guess we'll see.

Lmk if anyone else has answers.
(again this is specifically fo intermittent functionality of the mm. I run all my gears, once it worked for 10mins and I enjoyed playing my exhaust notes. It's so sad I can't atm) Reply here and I will update after I do my fix. May take a month.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:48 AM
g35 6mt
I'm new to this , don't know how to post. Lol I have 05 rev up, but its doesn't run , the crank shaft is stuck and it has 217k. I have a de non rev up with lower miles I want to swap but its connected to a AUTO TRANS . what do I need to swap that de into my 6mt ? Please help

Old 05-17-2022, 12:52 AM
g35 6mt
someone please help

I'm new to this. I have a 05 de-r but I want to swap my DE NON REV UP into my 05 . The I know I got to switch ecu and many the harness, but my main question is how to I take the AUTO TRANS off and swap it in with my 6mt ? What parts do I need ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x manual mode not working