Canada Serving Canada.

GSM, Let's Hear the Details!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005 | 07:06 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
GSM, Let's Hear the Details!

Ok, so I understand that you went to pick up your beautiful M yesterday.....lets hear all about it....spare no details! You must of been absolutely pumped driving it home eh? You probably won't be replying to this post for a few days......I know I wouldn't be sitting in front of a computer with an M parked in the driveway!!

Congrats man, it's been a LONG time coming!

Old 03-12-2005 | 05:57 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by canuck
Ok, so I understand that you went to pick up your beautiful M yesterday.....lets hear all about it....spare no details! You must of been absolutely pumped driving it home eh? You probably won't be replying to this post for a few days......I know I wouldn't be sitting in front of a computer with an M parked in the driveway!!

Congrats man, it's been a LONG time coming!
Hey bro, Where to start?
I've played with the stereo, and it's nothing short of spectacular....Much crisper and cleaner sounding.
The Navi is even better with more voice prompts and more detailed maps with split screan capability. (menus and map) > Cool and time saving.
I've operated the entertainment drop down screan, but not watched any movies or listened to any music yet. The back seats are comfortable, tho not heated or relclining as I expected. (no biggie) . Incidently, the navi signal can fead to the rear screan with the touch of a button, and vise versa with movies if you're parked.
The aluminum accents look great....I wanted wood accents but that didn't come with the sport, but now I like the aluminum anyway.
Front seats are comfy too, and are heated and cooled to multi levels.
Homelink was easy to program (same as Coupe and Sedan).
Aluminum pedal accents are a nice touch.
Intelligent cruise (as well as conventional cruise) is cool too. with adjustable distance to car ahead.
Lane departure warning is especially useful if you're messing with toys and not watching the road too well.

The engine and exhaust system have a muted GROWL,which I like, tho it could be just a little more aggressive for me. Maybe in the future. If Borla makes a system for the M, I'd jump at it. On the Coupe, the Borla was perfect for me.
I've had a chance to study the exhaust system to discover that it's a 2 into into a short one (about a foot) and back into 2 silencers, and finishing at a muffler each side at the rear corners.
The M weighs in at a hefty 3995 lbs! but the car handles much like my Coupe, and feels just a nimble. It's handling doesn't bely it weight at all. Some of that is due to the sport suspension which, in my opinion, is well worth the price of admission. It's not harsh, and seems not to allow body roll or excessively transmit road noise.
The 19" Enkei wheels, and 245 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's must take some of the credit for this.
Since the weather isn't so good for performance driving, I'll have to see how they perform later in the spring, but from what little driving I've done, the rubber seems up to the task.

.......and a biggie here........lol. the hood is suported by 2 wonderful struts. No more support arm. The hood doesn't feel any heavier than the coupe's but I don't know if it's aluminum or not.
Actually I just went outside with my trusty magnet, and discovered that the hood, trunk, and all 4 doors are not steel, so I'm assuming that they are aluminum.
Speaking of doors, they opening and close with such class the solidity. They are a treat to open and close. That's a biggie with me...I love well adjusted solid doors, and this one didn't disappoint.

Headroom, width, seating, legroom, are all up to the task, as are the steering wheel, mirrors, and seating automatic adjustments.

Engine power is good, tho a little tight at the moment, but I can tell it does have some guts. I took it to 5k a coupe times in 3 rd gear and It hauled-butt pretty well. I would think once broken in, and allowing it to flex its muscles to the limit, that it would make real good power...You can bet I'll check that out when the time comes.

The automatic is as good as the Coupe's and seems programmed the same. Shifts are quick and crisp, and quite noticeable. I like it.

Voice commands work, tho I haven't explored that much yet. Similarly the Bluetooth is a mystery yet, since I have to compatible phone yet. It would seem easily programmed and to initiate, as well as programming the voice commnads for the Stereo, Navi, and HAV systems.
Headlights are real cool with adaptive front lighting, (a few degrees), as well as auto leveling.
Speed sensitive wipers are a nice touch.....(if you have to drive in the rain. UGG) as is the individual tire pressure monitor as just one of the many displays on the info/navi system.

The dash has what they call 'Fine Vision Electronic Solar Eclipse' instruments.
Cool on the eyes, and in multi-colour, with a few special effects such as illuminated outside dial that follows the analog needle.

Much more to come, I'm sure.
Only downside I've encountered is that the wipers cannot be raised very far off the windshield and consequently won't lock up like the G-cars. (who cares. )

Airbags galore, with high tech fronts that monitor size (and #) of occupants, vehicle speed, and deploy accordingly.
Graphite (low) and wheat (high) interior upholstering is well done and sport stitched in many areas.

......and the trunk. You Sedan owners won't be too impressed but we Coupe owners will be. You can get lost in there....lol.
Comprehensive tool kit, altho still with a scissor jack. Don't know if it's any good yet, but I'm doubtful. Hopefully I won't have to use it anyway.

Shop Manual CD not avalable yet but possibly early Arpil.

The optional Aero kit available in the US is now available here, so Jerry Liu is ordering one for me, and should be installed within 2 weeks. A nice touch.
I'm not sure if the lip spoiler for the trunk lid is part of the kit, it sounds like it is.....I hope so.

More later. Thanks for listening. Post any ???? and I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge and driving time.

Colin

Last edited by Msedanman; 03-12-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2005 | 07:28 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Hey bro, Where to start?
I've played with the stereo, and it's nothing short of spectacular....Much crisper and cleaner sounding.
The Navi is even better with more voice prompts and more detailed maps with split screan capability. (menus and map) > Cool and time saving.
I've operated the entertainment drop down screan, but not watched any movies or listened to any music yet. The back seats are comfortable, tho not heated or relclining as I expected. (no biggie) . Incidently, the navi signal can fead to the rear screan with the touch of a button, and vise versa with movies if you're parked.
The aluminum accents look great....I wanted wood accents but that didn't come with the sport, but now I like the aluminum anyway.
Front seats are comfy too, and are heated and cooled to multi levels.
Homelink was easy to program (same as Coupe and Sedan).
Aluminum pedal accents are a nice touch.
Intelligent cruise (as well as conventional cruise) is cool too. with adjustable distance to car ahead.
Lane departure warning is especially useful if you're messing with toys and not watching the road too well.

The engine and exhaust system have a muted GROWL,which I like, tho it could be just a little more aggressive for me. Maybe in the future. If Borla makes a system for the M, I'd jump at it. On the Coupe, the Borla was perfect for me.
I've had a chance to study the exhaust system to discover that it's a 2 into into a short one (about a foot) and back into 2 silencers, and finishing at a muffler each side at the rear corners.
The M weighs in at a hefty 3995 lbs! but the car handles much like my Coupe, and feels just a nimble. It's handling doesn't bely it weight at all. Some of that is due to the sport suspension which, in my opinion, is well worth the price of admission. It's not harsh, and seems not to allow body roll or excessively transmit road noise.
The 19" Enkei wheels, and 245 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's must take some of the credit for this.
Since the weather isn't so good for performance driving, I'll have to see how they perform later in the spring, but from what little driving I've done, the rubber seems up to the task.

.......and a biggie here........lol. the hood is suported by 2 wonderful struts. No more support arm. The hood doesn't feel any heavier than the coupe's but I don't know if it's aluminum or not.
Actually I just went outside with my trusty magnet, and discovered that the hood, trunk, and all 4 doors are not steel, so I'm assuming that they are aluminum.
Speaking of doors, they opening and close with such class the solidity. They are a treat to open and close. That's a biggie with me...I love well adjusted solid doors, and this one didn't disappoint.

Headroom, width, seating, legroom, are all up to the task, as are the steering wheel, mirrors, and seating automatic adjustments.

Engine power is good, tho a little tight at the moment, but I can tell it does have some guts. I took it to 5k a coupe times in 3 rd gear and It hauled-butt pretty well. I would think once broken in, and allowing it to flex its muscles to the limit, that it would make real good power...You can bet I'll check that out when the time comes.

The automatic is as good as the Coupe's and seems programmed the same. Shifts are quick and crisp, and quite noticeable. I like it.

Voice commands work, tho I haven't explored that much yet. Similarly the Bluetooth is a mystery yet, since I have to compatible phone yet. It would seem easily programmed and to initiate, as well as programming the voice commnads for the Stereo, Navi, and HAV systems.
Headlights are real cool with adaptive front lighting, (a few degrees), as well as auto leveling.
Speed sensitive wipers are a nice touch.....(if you have to drive in the rain. UGG) as is the individual tire pressure monitor as just one of the many displays on the info/navi system.

The dash has what they call 'Fine Vision Electronic Solar Eclipse' instruments.
Cool on the eyes, and in multi-colour, with a few special effects such as illuminated outside dial that follows the analog needle.

Much more to come, I'm sure.
Only downside I've encountered is that the wipers cannot be raised very far off the windshield and consequently won't lock up like the G-cars. (who cares. )

Airbags galore, with high tech fronts that monitor size (and #) of occupants, vehicle speed, and deploy accordingly.
Graphite (low) and wheat (high) interior upholstering is well done and sport stitched in many areas.

......and the trunk. You Sedan owners won't be too impressed but we Coupe owners will be. You can get lost in there....lol.
Comprehensive tool kit, altho still with a scissor jack. Don't know if it's any good yet, but I'm doubtful. Hopefully I won't have to use it anyway.

Shop Manual CD not avalable yet but possibly early Arpil.

The optional Aero kit available in the US is now available here, so Jerry Liu is ordering one for me, and should be installed within 2 weeks. A nice touch.
I'm not sure if the lip spoiler for the trunk lid is part of the kit, it sounds like it is.....I hope so.

More later. Thanks for listening. Post any ???? and I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge and driving time.

Colin
Great first review Colin.
You're obviously very pleased and that's great.
There is so much technology in that thing it's wild.
I'm sure when the kms go on and the revs jump another 1500 or so that thing will really move with all that power. The real difference is you don't have to rev it to accelerate smartly with gobs of torque.
I think I read somewhere rear heated seats and recliners were available as part of some kind of package.
Life is good. Enjoy your new toy that you've earned.

deane

Last edited by RBull; 03-12-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2005 | 07:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RBull
Great first review Colin.
You're obviously very pleased and that's great.
There is so much technology in that thing it's wild.
I'm sure when the kms go on and the revs jump another 1500 or so that thing will really move with all that power. The real difference is you don't have to rev it to accelerate smartly with gobs of torque.
I think I read somewhere reaer heated seats and recliners were available as part of some kind of package.
Life is good. Enjoy your new toy that you've earned.

deane
Hey Deane, Thanks. It's fun, believe me....
Yes the motor will loosen, and once allowed to show off, I'm sure she will.
The reclining and heated rear seats are included in the Super Premium Package but that is only available on the M45 Luxury, with Softer suspension and wood accents etc.- not what I wanted.
So we'll have to make do without.. and oh yeh, no sunshade. Same deal, only on the Lux model. Life's tough isn't it?

I'll try to pacify myself with that aero kit. yummy.....

C.

Old 03-13-2005 | 10:24 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by gsedanman
Hey Deane, Thanks. It's fun, believe me....
Yes the motor will loosen, and once allowed to show off, I'm sure she will.
The reclining and heated rear seats are included in the Super Premium Package but that is only available on the M45 Luxury, with Softer suspension and wood accents etc.- not what I wanted.
So we'll have to make do without.. and oh yeh, no sunshade. Same deal, only on the Lux model. Life's tough isn't it?

I'll try to pacify myself with that aero kit. yummy.....

C.

Awesome first review Colin....thanks for sharing with us. I can't even imagine having that many toys to play with. What an awesome car to take a trip down east!!

Old 03-14-2005 | 12:50 AM
Administrator
Congrats on the new car, Colin. I'm in the process of developing a GroundingGear™ System for the M. Waiting for Infiniti to get back to me about a few details. I'll make sure your M45 is at the top of the list.

Old 03-14-2005 | 03:12 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by gordgee
Congrats on the new car, Colin. I'm in the process of developing a GroundingGear™ System for the M. Waiting for Infiniti to get back to me about a few details. I'll make sure your M45 is at the top of the list.
Thanks Gord, I'd love to 'Ground' the M, but I know you're busy these days , so whatever you can come up with is greatly appreciated.

Colin