Canada Serving Canada.

Driver side power window motor problems... (and temp fix)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side power window motor problems... (and temp fix)

Has anybody else had this? For the past couple weeks, the odd time I've tried to raise my window from completely being rolled down - I would hit the switch up once to get the auto close - it would go all the way to the top and then roll halfway down again and stop. I could get it to do it several times in a row. IF I held the switch while it was going up to the top, it would stay closed though.

BUT, today, I was out in the beautiful weather and rolled my window down, it made a very odd noise and the window seems to 'stutter' down - slowly and at variable speeds. When I pulled into the parking lot, the switch was dead and I couldn't get it to go up at ALL!

I was forced to leave the window open while I was at my lunch meeting - pretty worrisome for 2 hours!

When I got back home, I called the dealership before showing up (Dixie/401) and the service guy there said he'd had 8 other calls about it recently! They were completely out of stock on window motors and were on back-order. I've got an appointment set up with them later next week but I asked what I should do about my window being down for the time being...

If you've read the thread this far, here's a secret the guy told me (should this happen to you and let's say its raining) Apparently, Infiniti doesn't want us to know this, ... the motor for the window is located right at the bend point where the armrest of the door curves up with the silver handle that you can grip to shut the door. IF you bang on it, apparently (with this particular motor issue) you can shock the motor into renegaging and the switch suddenly works again - no parts, no disassembling of the door. Believe it or not, I went to the garage, gave the door a couple of wacks and on the 3rd try the power window switch came to life and went up no problems.

Now, this is not a cure for the problem by any means, but if this is some sort of issue with G35s I figured you might find this info handy should your window motor go down in a blizzard or a car wash (LOL). I have to admit I was pretty blown away that Dixie/401 already had had 8 or so cars with this problem.

It sounds like the fix is only like a 20 min repair, so no major down time, but it is somewhat concerning.

Watch your windows!
Al

Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 PM
window motor replaced

I had to get my driver side motor replaced as well.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
i have that same prob with my passenger window. just its everytime i hit the auto...

Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Al,
excellent info on the temp window fix. It's a pity you didn't know that trick b4 your dinner engagement, but maybe this info will help someone else in the same predicament.

Kudos bro

My Coupe (now my bro's) has had the odd regulator issue (not often) where it would roll up and reverse a little....but the motors haven't given out tho.

g/l with the motors coming in soon.

Colin

Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem you described in your first paragragh only. My dealer "reprogrammed" the window and it has worked fine since.
Good luck with the new motor.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
i'm currently waiting for a passengers side motor to arrive, and have been for about a month now. hopefully they will start shipping soon!

mine was doing the same thing you describe, then quit one day.

also, my fuel door locking latch (activated by the door unlock buttons) quit yesturday. i have to go in next week to get that replaced. note to others: if this happens, the only way to get the cap open is to remove the trunk lining (pulling a few of those 'push pin' clips out) and then manually pulling the end on the plastic lock/latch. pretty embarrassing sitting at the gas station pushing in on the cover 100 times and nothing happening.

jeremy

Old 08-25-2005, 03:16 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by jeremyg35
i'm currently waiting for a passengers side motor to arrive, and have been for about a month now. hopefully they will start shipping soon!

mine was doing the same thing you describe, then quit one day.

also, my fuel door locking latch (activated by the door unlock buttons) quit yesturday. i have to go in next week to get that replaced. note to others: if this happens, the only way to get the cap open is to remove the trunk lining (pulling a few of those 'push pin' clips out) and then manually pulling the end on the plastic lock/latch. pretty embarrassing sitting at the gas station pushing in on the cover 100 times and nothing happening.

jeremy
Jeremy , TNX for the fuel door tip. That issue seems to come up occasionally too.
Those 2 issues must have been frustrating.

Hope the back-ordered parts are in soon.

A little more than 5 weeks until our trip East........
Colin.

C.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Just picked up an '03 Coupe and the driver window is having serious issues as well as the passenger window.

The window does the stuttering, reversing and then just doesn't want to go up or down!

Very frustrating in this nice weather. I sure hope there isn't a month wait for me, that's crazy.

Thx for the tip, i will try that tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone having this issue with the sedan? I noticed recently when I do an auto up on the driver side window it is making a thumping noise as if the glass is hitting something at the top of the frame.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
PDT
The only thing I've had was it jumped back down when it's in auto mode. I've had them reset the sensor twice on it. First time was covered, second time I had to pay.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by PDT
The only thing I've had was it jumped back down when it's in auto mode. I've had them reset the sensor twice on it. First time was covered, second time I had to pay.
Tauseef, The fix (lol, maybe they'll get it right next time) is warranty! --

They owe you a refund, and a proper repair. Go back.

Colin.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
PDT
Colin, I told Jerry that I had this reset before, but he told me it's not covered anymore. The first time was done within my first year. The second time was done in May / June this year. I guess I should ask him again about it!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks a ton for this tip!

I'm waiting to get my window fixed, and the only way I could get it to go up (as it began to rain) was to slam the door shut....must have had the same effect!

Old 08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by PDT
Colin, I told Jerry that I had this reset before, but he told me it's not covered anymore. The first time was done within my first year. The second time was done in May / June this year. I guess I should ask him again about it!
Tauseef, Jerry is a good guy, and I'm sure he would claim that under warranty if he could......maybe I'm missing something here......

What I find strange is that however many times you go for the same issue, it should still be covered under 1/ the same original repair request and 2/ under warranty, which, as far as I know, is 4yr + 100k.

What gives?????

Let me know what he says..please.

Colin.

EDIT: I've just talked to Jerry Liu at Yorkville Infiniti about your issue, and he said the same as me-- warranty.
Tauseef, you need to talk to him dirctly about the issue. Give him a call.
416-975-2623.
G/L

Colin.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Tauseef, Jerry is a good guy, and I'm sure he would claim that under warranty if he could......maybe I'm missing something here......

What I find strange is that however many times you go for the same issue, it should still be covered under 1/ the same original repair request and 2/ under warranty, which, as far as I know, is 4yr + 100k.

What gives?????

Let me know what he says..please.

Colin.

EDIT: I've just talked to Jerry Liu at Yorkville Infiniti about your issue, and he said the same as me-- warranty.
Tauseef, you need to talk to him dirctly about the issue. Give him a call.
416-975-2623.
G/L

Colin.
That's good to hear Colin. I had to agree when reading your earlier post. It's warranty- end of story. In fact if the problem persists Infiniti should be providing a permanent fix so owners aren't constantly being inconvenienced with an adjustment and also aren't worried about the after warranty period. Mine has been reset once now so we'll see what happens.
Deane

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driver side power window motor problems... (and temp fix)