Canada Serving Canada.

Got owned by mother nature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know for the a/s but for the OEM pilots or brobably any summer high perfomance tires there is no way your going through winter alive with the coupe...

With the summer high performance toyo T1r in the rear with not even a inch of snow I barely could move the car...

(A/S is for the all season pilot model right?)

Old 11-18-2005, 05:02 PM
PDT
Originally Posted by Renesis
its starting to snow in mississauga right now, wonder if the Pilot A/S could take the light snow for now...
My Pilots only lasted me 2 winters. They were toast after that. Good luck and if you have a chance, get some winter tires!

Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I find the winters make a huge difference. They stop real well but they don't climb as well as I would like. Gotta take it slow on snow and Ice is real tricky. Should get two seasons out of em.
Sam

Old 11-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good to hear you're fine urabus. Being late with the right rubbber isn't fun especially on the first snow and in the G.

Good luck with the new treads.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Actually, I think summers are OK if you are in TO. If you drive carefully, shouldnt be much of a problem because TO is all about flat lands. Try driving the G in vancouver with so many steep slopes, i almost slid into people's garage once when i was driving into my backlane because there was a slope and can't stop with the EL42.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Renesis
Actually, I think summers are OK if you are in TO. If you drive carefully, shouldnt be much of a problem because TO is all about flat lands. Try driving the G in vancouver with so many steep slopes, i almost slid into people's garage once when i was driving into my backlane because there was a slope and can't stop with the EL42.
I disagree. You cannot get away with summer rubber on any G35. You would be an accident waiting to happen. You may get away with All Seasons if you have a G35X.. but hell no for summers. Summer rubber are much harder and does not have the threads/grip/dig into snow/ice. There aren't many hills in Toronto, but when you do encounter one, you're doomed. Not worth to save the $1k you spend on Winter rubber for a high chance of being stuck.

Plus, with Winter rubbers on, the added confidence will help you steer away from other less equiped cars in the snow.

I just put my 225/45/18 Dunlop M3's. Hoping for a major improvement. They better, these costed me a fortune!!

Drive safe.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Urabus i would store it!!! The price of tires and gas for the winter you can buy an old civic. When i priced rims and tires for winter it was like 1500. I spent 1600 on my 91 civic dx and I'm on my second winter with her. Minor problems but she goes. It just sucks cause you know you have a G in the garage itching to drive!!!! But I tell you the gas savings so far is great! Been 2 months away so I kinda jumped the gun but you never know here in kitchener when its gonna come down!

Old 11-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by zicog35
Urabus i would store it!!! The price of tires and gas for the winter you can buy an old civic. When i priced rims and tires for winter it was like 1500. I spent 1600 on my 91 civic dx and I'm on my second winter with her. Minor problems but she goes. It just sucks cause you know you have a G in the garage itching to drive!!!! But I tell you the gas savings so far is great! Been 2 months away so I kinda jumped the gun but you never know here in kitchener when its gonna come down!
You're also insuring 2 vehicles then.

The way I look at it, I'm paying for the car, I'm going to use it. Longest I ever kept a vehicle was 45 months. Prior to that, I never kept anything longer than 21 months. The G can be a good winter car, if it's prepared and you don't try to drive like it's June out there.

Albert

Old 11-20-2005, 10:29 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by urabus
I disagree. You cannot get away with summer rubber on any G35. You would be an accident waiting to happen. You may get away with All Seasons if you have a G35X.. but hell no for summers. Summer rubber are much harder and does not have the threads/grip/dig into snow/ice. There aren't many hills in Toronto, but when you do encounter one, you're doomed. Not worth to save the $1k you spend on Winter rubber for a high chance of being stuck.

Plus, with Winter rubbers on, the added confidence will help you steer away from other less equiped cars in the snow.

I just put my 225/45/18 Dunlop M3's. Hoping for a major improvement. They better, these costed me a fortune!!

Drive safe.
Agreed, Winters are the way to go. You might sqeak by on All Seasons with an X, but even that would be chancy.
C.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by akrus
You're also insuring 2 vehicles then.
Is it possible to insure a car seasonally to keep the cost down?

Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
PDT
Yes. Say you are going to store your G for the winter, you can just reduce your policy to Fire and Theft and have insurance on your other vehicle.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by urabus
Is it possible to insure a car seasonally to keep the cost down?
You sure can suspend coverage for winter....I've just done this with my M. All I had to do was fill out a form : OPCF-16 suspension of coverage (except fire and theft)..
to verify this and you save big $$$.

C.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by PDT
Yes. Say you are going to store your G for the winter, you can just reduce your policy to Fire and Theft and have insurance on your other vehicle.
If you financed with Nissan Canada, you cannot reduce coverage. I did that 2 years ago on my Maxima and they called me to straighten me out. I reduced it to the generally accepted coverage used for winter storage. NCCF got all at me.

Check with your lender before assuming that it can be done.

Albert

Old 11-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
You sure can suspend coverage for winter....I've just done this with my M. All I had to do was fill out a form : OPCF-16 suspension of coverage (except fire and theft)..
to verify this and you save big $$$.

C.
Yeah, I've been doing it for the last 15 years or so with no problem. It usually saved me about $150 for the season.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:50 AM
PDT
Originally Posted by akrus
If you financed with Nissan Canada, you cannot reduce coverage. I did that 2 years ago on my Maxima and they called me to straighten me out. I reduced it to the generally accepted coverage used for winter storage. NCCF got all at me.

Check with your lender before assuming that it can be done.

Albert
Your right, I forgot about that! Thanks Albert!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got owned by mother nature