Canada Serving Canada.

Bosch Icon & Valeo Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Sorry, I haven't been on this thread for a while or I may have responded earlier.

Yes, Rick is quite busy, and he's got so many things on the go, the A/B was probably an oversight on his part (not trying to make excuses for him though ). The 'A' will be similar to the Valeo, and the only difference is that Bosch puts a bit more curve in the blade from the factory for the 'B'. You should be able to gently bend them for the final 6" or so to help them contact the windshield at the lower right edge. If you have the Valeos, this would normal. The 'B' Icon actually may benefit from a little straightening on the opposite edge to even out the pressure.

BTW, Rick has been at SEMA for the last several days, so I not sure if he even read his e-mails yet. I think he was due back today.
Hey!!,

Thanks for your reply very cool of you. I did finally get a reply from Rick. I wish i had known ahead of time, i wouldnt have bugged him. Thanks anyway for the update.

Unfortunately, i tried the wipers this weekend, and there is indeed a slight lift on the passenger side. Im extremely picky with my car....which is why i got these wipers. I was a little dissappointed to notice the lift. but just like i read all over this thread i tried bending them, but they dont seem to stay bent....or bend at all for that matter. I dont want to force them too much. Ill try emailing rick on monday again...but do u think i should try bending them more? i dont want to risk damaging them and if there is any chance of rick sending me the B type, i would rather keep the A in good shape.

Thanks again

Joe

Old 11-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What you want is to do a very gentle bend, rather than a sharp 'dog-leg'. It's a bit of trial and error, but if it's not increasing for you, you're not applying enough pressure. Again, be firm and progressive, but don't get carried away. It's how you 'tweak' these things. As I said, there is little difference between the 'A' and 'B' blades other than the curve set by the factory. Too much curve, and you can get missed spots and because of increased pressure, possible chatter.

If you're uncomfortable tweaking the end of your blade, just wait until Rick gets back to you.

On a different note, because I bought a set of rubber-clad Winter Blades last year, I switched from my Valeos over to them yesterday. Lots of missed wiped areas, and they're not 'tweakable' . I may just get a set of Icons, and use one pair for winter, and one for summer.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you want is to do a very gentle bend, rather than a sharp 'dog-leg'. It's a bit of trial and error, but if it's not increasing for you, you're not applying enough pressure. Again, be firm and progressive, but don't get carried away. It's how you 'tweak' these things. As I said, there is little difference between the 'A' and 'B' blades other than the curve set by the factory. Too much curve, and you can get missed spots and because of increased pressure, possible chatter.

If you're uncomfortable tweaking the end of your blade, just wait until Rick gets back to you.

On a different note, because I bought a set of rubber-clad Winter Blades last year, I switched from my Valeos over to them yesterday. Lots of missed wiped areas, and they're not 'tweakable' . I may just get a set of Icons, and use one pair for winter, and one for summer.
Why not use your Valeos? Or are they toast?

Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator
The Valeos are working great. I'm just using the Winter blades as they just have 1 season on them.

I like to use a different set for winter and summer. The Valeo/Icons should be good to stay on year round however. As I said, I may try the Valeos for winter next year, and get a set of Icons to compare. Side by side, the construction looks pretty similar except for the mount, so I suspect that they'd both work similarly once tweaked.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Valeos are working great. I'm just using the Winter blades as they just have 1 season on them.

I like to use a different set for winter and summer. The Valeo/Icons should be good to stay on year round however. As I said, I may try the Valeos for winter next year, and get a set of Icons to compare. Side by side, the construction looks pretty similar except for the mount, so I suspect that they'd both work similarly once tweaked.
I've found that my Icons are quite stiff now that the temps are getting cooler. Stiff enough to make that annoying chatter noise upon initial turn on, until they get some washer fluid or rain under them. Not sure if this is due to age as they've been on all year, but I don't recall any past wipers behaving this way.

This said, I'm on the hunt for another set as I do like them. Is there a link for Rick's website or email somewhere? This mamoth thread is a tad too big for me to go re-reading... especially when I don't recall a link being posted

Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM

Ok cool, thanks for the tip. I guess ill check it out again tonight. Its not really that bad, just a couple of mm that lift at the end of the passenger wiper. I guess im a little picky because of my expectations and what ive been reading about these blades. Ill take a look at them again.

Im just curious to see the reaction of some people to the B type blade....did they need slight adjustment too? or are they good straight out of the box.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Well, after putting back on my almost new Michelin rubber clad Winter Blades, I can tell you, that they truly suck!

I decided to just use my Valeos for the winter, and went to Aero and picked up a set of Bosch Icons.

Construction wise, the Valeo and Icon are virtually identical. The most significant difference is the mount, with the Valeo using a more traditional clip release, and the Icon using a 'boxed-in' mount that though slightly larger, arguably looks cooler.

The wiping surface of the 22" Icon is a little more than 1/4" longer than the Valeo, and the blade is curved very slightly less.

Looking at the 18" A & B, the B is very slightly more curved. The 18" Valeo curve is between the Icon A & B. I found that even the Icon B misses the last inch or so of wipe, and like the Valeo, needs to be tweaked. IMO, the amount of tweaking isn't significantly different between any of these.

The packaging of the Icon is much better, which is where the very slight cost difference may be worth it to some, especially if you like to store your blades for the season. (The most robust packaging, which I really like, is on the new bracketless Michelins at Costco, but construction of the blades isn't nearly as good, looks like a cheaper copy of the Bosch/Valeo, and the longest sold there is the 20").

Anyway, that's my in-depth (and moderately obsessive) analysis of the new wiper blades.

You can't go wrong with either the Valeo or the Bosch, and they're miles better than any of the copies, and less expensive than the CDN Tire Reflex blades which cost about $28 for the 22"!

Old 11-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got some Icons a week ago at AutoZone. I like them but its not cheap At $18 and $23.

TireRack has a special on Valeos. 2 for one deal. Wish I had noticed it earlier.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator
Hey, I just found Bosch Icons at Canadian tire. Not badly priced at $24 for the 18", and $28 for the 22" (I think those were the prices ). Once ppl compare them with their own brand knock-offs, I don't think CDN Tire will be selling many Reflex blades anymore!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, I just found Bosch Icons at Canadian tire. Not badly priced at $24 for the 18", and $28 for the 22" (I think those were the prices ). Once ppl compare them with their own brand knock-offs, I don't think CDN Tire will be selling many Reflex blades anymore!
Oh God, thanks for pointing me to this; I have been trying to find a pair!
I will try to get that tmr!

18" and 22" =)

Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Gord....
I need a couple of pairs for wifes veh. & my truck.

After using them on the G, it's hard to go to anything else.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:54 AM
finally they are at crappy tire - awesome

Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Thanks Gord....
I need a couple of pairs for wifes veh. & my truck.

After using them on the G, it's hard to go to anything else.
Some more review for the M roadster by the way?
pics would help too!!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone in TO find the Icons at Crappy Tire? They must be a new item since I couldn't find them on their web site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bosch Icon & Valeo Wiper Blades