Canada Serving Canada.

GTA Detailing / training day / questions answered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used the simonz ones last year...i'm going to try some from eshine.ca or other places if i find a good deal.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I actually don't mind those Simonez towels for drying (the big ones), but if you use them remember to absolutely cut the tags off. Those tags are like scratch-gremlins. If you want to spend a little more these (http://www.eshine.ca/proddetail.php?prod=128&cat=19) are great.

For buffing I can't stand the Simonez stuff, too cheap (imo). For the constant qd/polish buffing, where you're using the cloth a lot I use these:

http://www.eshine.ca/proddetail.php?prod=163 (note: most korean made mf is crap, but these are good in my experience).

For the less often stuff like wiping off trim, cleaning up glass etc. I use these:

http://www.carcaresmart.com/page/C/PROD/_MMP/MT0300320

because they're good quality, tagless, and best of all inexpensive. I just ordered 30 more from them to replace some of my older ones. Edit to add - wash them first before using. They arrive sort of stiff.

Last edited by Picus; 04-26-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Picus,

What kind of wash mit(brand) do you prefer to use?

B.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
haha, it seems the training day has already begun! Thanks for all your effort picus!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I think I have like 10 mitts - my favorite ones are these:

http://www.carcaresmart.com/page/C/PROD/_MDT/WM0200140

My only criticism is that the rubber band they use isn't that durable, so it stretches quickly. I almost always use it wadded up rather than as a glove anyway (I actually might just cut the wristband off mine). It's really soft, very thick, traps dirt really well, and the inside isn't sealed so sticking a hose in it to rinse out all the dirt works. They actually have one decent one at some canadian tires too - it's the most expensive one ($19.95 I think?) that's sheepskin. I like the $9 one from carcaresmart better though.

And no problem guys. I could talk shop all day long.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Wow, there's so much to this washing/caring for the car. I think I'm gonna have to learn everything from scratch again. Probably watching Picus do a car from start to finish will really help me develop the proper process/style.

Thanks for offering all your knowledge Picus.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Geeee I wonder why everyone likes black cars...

Great job picus

Has the meet date been decided yet ??????

Old 04-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Staff ALUMNI
I think we'll end up on May 6th or 7th since all but one person can meake it each day. Before we officially decide I'd like to get within maybe 10 days of the date so we can at least see a long range forecast though. It'd be a huge bummer if it rained.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Hey everyone - some updates.

1) It'll be the 6th or 7th, at this point I'd say 75% the 7th, 25% the 6th. Why? 40% chance of rain on the 6th. Rain would be bad.

2) I'll be detailing Sams (whatacar) car, and perhaps God|ZIlla168's too (if we have time and he chooses to get his done). Everyone else is invited to bring whatever they like in terms of cleaning gear. If anyone is short some polish or wax I am sure I have some you can use.

3) A question for everyone. Colin mentioned this, and Peter and I thought it was a good idea - I was going to e-mail Chris from eShine.ca (who I get most of my stuff from) to see if he'd like to attend and perhaps bring some of his wares to sell. I don't want to ask him to come out if there is no interest, though. So if you think this is a good idea and want to buy some detailing stuff chime in and I'll e-mail him.

Questions/comments?

Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
I think we'll end up on May 6th or 7th since all but one person can meake it each day. Before we officially decide I'd like to get within maybe 10 days of the date so we can at least see a long range forecast though. It'd be a huge bummer if it rained.
I just checked Mapquest and it is just over 3 hours to get there from my abode. If at all possible I will be there. I will have to observe and learn since my car will probably be too dirty to do anything to it. I just have to see our detailing wizard in action .
Wayne

) Picus (april 29,30, may 6, 7, 14)
2) 35bills(April 29,30, May 6,7,13)-Bill
3) Whatacar(April 29,30, May 6,7)-Sam
4) Msedanman (April 29,30 May 6,7)-Colin -- Cheers Sam & Picus.
5) God|Zilla168 (April 29,30 May 6,7)-Eric (Guys May 14th is mothers Day)
6) BananaKing (May 6)-Edmund (sorry, have classes all other weekend days)
7) Godmans (May 7, probably April 29,30) - Godmans (who uses real name except me?)
8) GEE35X- Wayne ( I will try and make it)
9)

Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I just checked Mapquest and it is just over 3 hours to get there from my abode. If at all possible I will be there. I will have to observe and learn since my car will probably be too dirty to do anything to it. I just have to see our detailing wizard in action .
Wayne

1) Picus (april 29,30, may 6, 7, 14)
2) 35bills(April 29,30, May 6,7,13)-Bill
3) Whatacar(April 29,30, May 6,7)-Sam
4) Msedanman (April 29,30 May 6,7)-Colin -- Cheers Sam & Picus.
5) God|Zilla168 (April 29,30 May 6,7)-Eric (Guys May 14th is mothers Day)
6) BananaKing (May 6)-Edmund (sorry, have classes all other weekend days)
7) Godmans (May 7, probably April 29,30) - Godmans (who uses real name except me?)
8) GEE35X- Wayne ( I will try and make it)
9)
Hope you can make it Wayne. Sam and I will convoy together that day, and hopefully we can be early enough for some 'Swiss Chick' or whatever....????????
There will be something close by.

I'll get to you b4 the weekend.

Colin

Last edited by Msedanman; 04-29-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

Geeee I wonder why everyone likes black cars...

Great job picus

Has the meet date been decided yet ??????
Ian, As Picus says, Rain would be disaster, so as of this moment for North York, the forecast looks good for Sunday , and lousy for Saturday .

Things may change by then tho so we'll have to keep an eye on it.
C.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Ya, hard to say a week away - the long range forecast says 60% chance on sat now, 30% chance on sunday. Overcast is actually not a bad thing for polishing - but rain is a bad thing. So we'll just have to cross our fingers and wait and see.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 AM
O.F. Administrator

1) It'll be the 6th or 7th, at this point I'd say 75% the 7th, 25% the 6th. Why? 40% chance of rain on the 6th. Rain would be bad.

2) I'll be detailing Sams (whatacar) car, and perhaps God|ZIlla168's too (if we have time and he chooses to get his done). Everyone else is invited to bring whatever they like in terms of cleaning gear. If anyone is short some polish or wax I am sure I have some you can use.

3) A question for everyone. Colin mentioned this, and Peter and I thought it was a good idea - I was going to e-mail Chris from eShine.ca (who I get most of my stuff from) to see if he'd like to attend and perhaps bring some of his wares to sell. I don't want to ask him to come out if there is no interest, though. So if you think this is a good idea and want to buy some detailing stuff chime in and I'll e-mail him.

Questions/comments?

Sounds good, Picus,.. Let's pray that the weather man can bring us some sun, or at least no rain.

I go thru a lot of quick detailer, polishing cloths, and need a couple of wash mitts at least...
If Chris comes to our meet, I'm sure that once I see what he has, and what you recommend, I'll be tempted with other products too.

Everyone think GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Colin.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Questions/comments?
I would be interested in getting some Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner from Chris if he decides to show up.

B.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTA Detailing / training day / questions answered