Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Kevin...great advice

Old 11-29-2006, 04:00 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
^^+1^^......

Great advice, Kevin . and thanks for taking the time to post it.

Those rides look tight, yes even the Jetta......

But that Z looks kinda familiar......sweet, bro.....I'll bet he's got it dirty already tho. ....................

C.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Had a fun one yesterday, 9 hours with this sucker, some of the hardest paint I've ever worked on. I got locked in the guys garage for an hour too... goodtimes.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amazing as usual. I'll be booking you for march I have to work out when i'm getting my new body kit on, and when the paint's cured up so I can put it into your able hands!

Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Everytime I see the kind of work you do on Black Beauties I recall the work you did on mine and I . Great job Kevin.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Yep, fantastic job as usual Kevin. Just curious, on average how long does a job take you? I know that it depends on how serious of condition the paint is in, but is it typically a 6-8 hour job?

Old 12-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yep, fantastic job as usual Kevin. Just curious, on average how long does a job take you? I know that it depends on how serious of condition the paint is in, but is it typically a 6-8 hour job?
Hey thanks guys.

Length of the job depends on a couple things. This one was 9ish hours for a few reasons - first the paint had some deep marring, second the paint was really hard, and third the paint didn't like to finish down clean, so it was like a trifecta of bad.

Polishing is obviously what takes the most time, on some cars, even badly maintained ones I can get them cranked out in 4-5 hours because the paint finishes nicely (by finishes I mean I use a heavy abrasive to remove marring, but don't get a lot of "haze" or "micromarring", so I can skip a polishing step). On cars like this Corvette (or G35s ), that finish down poorly, I need to do three polishing steps, one to remove marring, one to remove the marring from the previous step, and finishing polish.

So in most cases a multistep job is 5-6 hours, in some it's longer. To give you an idea what I mean by "hazing", check this out:

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/audis4062106/a.html

That had been compounded by someone, so see there are no deep scratches; but all that "haze" you see is like millions of tiny crescent shaped marks from the aggressive compound that need to be removed. On finicky paints that can be even harder than removing the scratches.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Traveling Administrator
Great info Kevin. I really didn't know what you meant by hazing until I looked at those pics of the S4. I could see right away what you were talking about.

I really have learned so much from you over the last year or so. I also have a lot more respect for the knowledge and experience required to detail a car properly. Before, I thought detailing a car just involved slapping a coat of wax on by hand.

This maybe a dumb question, but when you talk about paint marring that is more or less swirl marks, correct? I hear that term quite often and I just want to make sure I understand it's meaning.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 12-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Great info Kevin. I really didn't know what you meant by hazing until I looked at those pics of the S4. I could see right away what you were talking about.

I really have learned so much from you over the last year or so. I also have a lot more respect for the knowledge and experience required to detail a car properly. Before, I thought detailing a car just involved slapping a coat of wax on by hand.

This maybe a dumb question, but when you talk about paint marring that is more or less swirl marks, correct? I hear that term quite often and I just want to make sure I understand it's meaning.
Don't sweat it, I've had this conversation more times than I can count.

Them: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a car detailer.
Them: People still want pinstripping on their cars???

Marring refers to any type of paint imperfection. I use it too much, probably. Scratches, swirls, bird poop etchings, hazing, etc...all "marring", so like above when I said "One step to remove marring", I meant deep scratches and swirls, then when I said "another step to remove the marring from that step", I meant the hazing from the first compounding step.

Actually, hazing is one of the toughest issues with compounding; it's more difficult to find a fine balance of cut vs finish than it is to just cut like crazy and remove deep scratches.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by picus112
Don't sweat it, I've had this conversation more times than I can count.

Them: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a car detailer.
Them: People still want pinstripping on their cars???

Marring refers to any type of paint imperfection. I use it too much, probably. Scratches, swirls, bird poop etchings, hazing, etc...all "marring", so like above when I said "One step to remove marring", I meant deep scratches and swirls, then when I said "another step to remove the marring from that step", I meant the hazing from the first compounding step.

Actually, hazing is one of the toughest issues with compounding; it's more difficult to find a fine balance of cut vs finish than it is to just cut like crazy and remove deep scratches.

Thanks again Kevin, very helpful as always.

Btw, you do pinstriping too??

Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Lame pics, but how's this for "the sexy"?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
oooh la la, very nice, I likey lots

Old 12-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1 me too.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice pics! not feeling how the plate is hanging in the front though :P

Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by noodleman
nice pics! not feeling how the plate is hanging in the front though :P

Hehe, it was just there for the drive back from the dealership, it was on with twist ties. He's removed it now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobile-Detailing in the GTA