Hooking up mac mini directly to bose amp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hooking up mac mini directly to bose amp?

Anyone know if it would be possible to hookup a mac mini directly to the bose amp?

Other question I have is, is it possible to replace the stock navi screen with a 7" touchscreen and still be able to utilize the stock sliding mount?

My plans are to install a mac mini in my G35 coupe. Since I already have (and want to keep) my stock navi, i was wondering if it would be better to just get a DD conversion and install a touchscreen there. In this scenario I would need to run the audio output directly from the mini to the bose amp. If this isnt possible I was wondering if I could just replace the stock navi screen with a lilliput or xenarc 7" screen and somehow retro fit it. In which case I'd just send the audio from the mini to the bose HU.

TIA for any recommendations or answers.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok unless I get any better ideas (which it looks like I might not) I think I'm going to go with a slightyly different plan. Which is to keep stock navi screen, buy double din conversion kit and replace the bose amp with an after market one.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 AM
sigh

No, you can't reasonably attach anything directly to the Bose amp as an input.

No, you cannot fashion an aftermarket screen into the stock nav console cubby and still utilize the stock sliding mechanism.

No, you cannot do a double din conversion and retain your stock nav capabilities. Stock nav depends on the stock radio for its audio, and removing the stock radio destroys this.

You're pretty much screwed. You could fit a carPC somewhere in your car, but you have no easy place to mount a screen for it (stock nav cubby is being used by the stock nav screen, can't use a flipout touchscreen because you can't do a double din conversion because you'll lose stock nav, can't install a touchscreen in the upper glovebox because the stock nav rom is in it).

Of course, anything is possible with enough $ and enough custom fabrication. But yeah....

Last edited by amthar; 08-28-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Since my original post I have read that you cannot input directly to the Bose amp hence why I decided to try to use aftermarket, but thanks for reminding me again.

Yeah I've read before about Nav being attatched to the stock HU but heard all that was needed was an additional speaker dedicated to the nav. I must have misunderstood.

My current plans now are leaning more towards two options: 1) try to use tvandnav2go and a wireless mouse to utilize stock nav screen as a display (but I've read of issues with trouble reading text and resolution troubles) or 2) use a gooseneck or window mount to mount xenarc touchscreen (for a NON-stock look). Both options would utilize PAC adapter attached to SAT input on stock Bose HU (not really the best audio hookup but atleast its an option)

Neither option is what I truly want, but its better than stock '03 Bose system without MP3 support.

Maybe I'll get less of an "annoyed" response with a :sigh: this time. Even new people to the CarPC world have to start from somewhere.

I do appreciate the input and correct answers to my questions since I'm still a fish out of water in this area.

Last edited by Dakkerz; 08-28-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
It's really a matter of searching, because it's all here. It seemed like you posted without doing enough research, but it sounds like you're on the right track and are making an effort so I apologize for "sighing" before.

The dedicated speaker for your nav sounds vaguely familiar, but that's outside my realm of expertise. I'd like to know how it's done if it's possible. Seems like it would be rather difficult (isolating the audio wires, determining the sort of signal being transmitted on it, getting that signal usable in your scenario and converting the wires to a connectable plug).

Are you trying to save the stock nav because you're trying to save money or because you really like it?

PC on the stock nav screen is probably going to look terrible.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah I've read about PC showing up crappy on stock nav, which is why I'm leaning more towards option 2, but in the event I DO use stock nav I'm hoping that since I'll only be using it mainly for itunes it wont be as big an issue as I think it will be.

I mainly want to keep stock nav for the fact that I've read a LOT of how there aren't any really great GPS apps for OSX out yet. To be honest I hate the 03 stock nav "joystick" with a passion. Saving money is also a concern since I've decided to keep this project on a budget below $1000 since the rest of my money is dedicated for a UTEC/Tuner combo so I can tune my car for its current and future modifications.

And I did post the original post after doing "some" searching but was getting frustrated on the limited search functions (not use of "and" statements) of g35drivers search feature. I found most of my answers after a couple of hours of browsing all the threads in the audio/video section though.

Last edited by Dakkerz; 08-28-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm looking at something like this

or this

Not quite sure I like the gooseneck mount so I'm leaning on the window mount that I'll try to locate as close to the HU as possible. Possible on the right (passenger side) or the HU center console and angled towards the driver side.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:34 PM
for what it's worth, there is an option near the bottom of the search page that has "natural" and "Boolean" search. If you flip it to boolean it makes searching a lot easier (you can use AND, etc).

Are you an everday Mac user? Just curious if there is a reason why you're going with the Mac Mini.

Also, if you're planning on using this solely for MP3s, there might be better ways of going about this than a full-blown carPC.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Cool thanks, I was unaware of the Boolean search feature. I appreciate that.

And yes I'm an everyday Mac user. I seldom use Windows these days. I have an mp3 only option setup (iPod with PAC adapter) but I wanted to also add DVD playback functions, voice command, wireless internet and bluetooth and figured a Mac mini that my friend was letting go of would work. (Also only being $250 with all of these fuctions was a plus) I'm starting to realise though, that its not going to be as easy of a task as I'd hoped it would be.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
On a completely unrelated note, how do you like your Fast Intentions Intimidator Exhaust & Test Pipes? Test pipes are replacements for carbs correct (so you wouldn't pass inspection)?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I am extrememly pleased with Fast Intentions Intimidator exhaust and test pipes. They look close to stock as far as the exhaust tips. Sound wise they aren't raspy at all and have a deep tone to them that is very stock sounding. Best of all they give a decent amount of HP/TQ (haven't dynoed yet, but its definitely noticable).

Yes the test pipes completely replace the CATS. Since I am in Florida, we dont have smog inspections down here so I dont have anything to worry about passing carb regulations.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont have a link handy, but Lilliput makes a single DIN in dash VGA screen. Loks like those aftermarket nav systems where the screen slides out and flips up. There is a manual version for ~$400 & a motorized version for ~$600 (I'd go for the manual - cheaper, and less stuff to break). It is VGA, and touchscreen. Look maybe in the store on mp3car.com or on digitalww.com

Anyway, you can mount that AND the Mac MINI in your upper glove box. When you wanna use it, flip open the glove box, slide out the screen, and Viola!

It may not be THE most elegant solution, but I think it is FAR more elegant than a goseneck solution.

Brain21

Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
He has stock navi... which means the upper glovebox is being taken up with the nav ROM drive, and double din conversion becomes difficult while trying to maintain the stock nav functionality. Also, because the upper glove box door flips up when it opens, a screen sliding out and flipping up would hit the glove box door. So you would have to move the door completely... unless G35's with stock nav don't have a door on the upper glove box.... but that doesn't remove the fact that the upper glove box is being used for his stock nav rom.

I don't see how this is any more ellegant than the other methods discussed already.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
^ yeah what he said

I've thought of those ideas as well. I'm leaning away from the gooseneck idea as well since I saw an install with one and it didnt look as nice as I had hoped. On to plan....uuuuuuhhhhh D? I decided to remove the ashtray (since I dont smoke) and create a bracket mounted to the insided of the center console below the stock HU and have an extending arm that will mount the screen in front of the current HU controls. I'm currently fabricating an aluminum bracket as we speak. I created a cardboard template with the dimension of the xenarc screen to kind of "visualize" how this setup would look. Although it's definitely not stock looking, its not a horrible eyesore either. As stated the xenarcs housing will be mounting directly in front of the stock HU but since it will be at a slight angle it will hide the mounting arm and bracket coming from the old ashtray location (unless you're looking at it from knee level).

Not sure how well this plan is going to work out, but it gives me something to do while I wait for my new speakers to arrive.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:04 PM
What speakers did you get?

Are you any good with fiberglass?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hooking up mac mini directly to bose amp?