Dracov's CarPC. Stock Navi replacement DIY. Status: in Progress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect it might, not sure thou.
I used 700tsv with 3m screen antiglare that helps quite a bit, plus when I will tint windows I dont think I will have any issues with it whatsoever.

I also have one brand new 700tsv for sale and Ill get some more antiglare film pm me if interested.

Dracov

Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the offer Dracov but I talked to my friend and he says he will take the risk and buck up for the transflective... well after i told him worst case it doesnt fit ill buy it for mine =) i needed a reason to upgrade anyways... =)

where did you mount your mobo and other components? im debating in the upper dash cubby or i heard there is room in the center console if i take it apart...

also, i made a BIG assumption that i can fit the nav controls and stock screen housing by replacing my friends cubby hole... any idea if this is a correct assumption? ..

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
Anyone know if the 05 ac controls work on 04?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by blAk mAx
Anyone know if the 05 ac controls work on 04?

I doubt they will fit. 04 and 05 have different interior.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by thehump
thanks for the offer Dracov but I talked to my friend and he says he will take the risk and buck up for the transflective... well after i told him worst case it doesnt fit ill buy it for mine =) i needed a reason to upgrade anyways... =)

where did you mount your mobo and other components? im debating in the upper dash cubby or i heard there is room in the center console if i take it apart...

also, i made a BIG assumption that i can fit the nav controls and stock screen housing by replacing my friends cubby hole... any idea if this is a correct assumption? ..

Thanks!

Currently I have mine located on the back of the zenclosure in the trunk. Im running aopen mini, and while it might be small enough to fit in the nav space above glove comp, with the amount of the wires that are connected to it and all its just much easier to get it accessed from the trunk.

Now that I have all wires and accessories figured out, in two weeks or so, Ill move it to the trunk, on the top of the spare, will cut out a whole in the trunks floor and will replace it with a plexiglass sheet.

There is a lot of space in the center console, if you take it out its all empty inside, but once again, not as easy to access.

I would install it in the trunbk, make sure that it all works fine, drive with it for few weeks, and then relocate if happy, if not go back and adjust
When it comes to replacing the cubby I think you are safe amd it will all work out without an issue

Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Dracov
I doubt they will fit. 04 and 05 have different interior.
Fitment doesn't matter just connection

Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I want this mod so bad....

Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 AM
hey Dracov

are these instructions for an 05 06 or 03 04?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM
these are for 05-07

Its really rather simple, and as long as you have some free time and some patient.

I have just repositioned my carpc from the back of the zenbox to the compartment near the stock bose aplifier. All is hidden and no wires showing.

I have also replaced the screen with a newer version of the same model. It was even easier now since the screens board was much smaller than the previous one.

I still have one brand new touchscreen like that for sale. It will fit perfectly.
Brand new, just tested to see if it works.
Xenarc 700TSV

$290 shipped.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Dracov, thanks i will consider that option for my friend.

I have a major problem though. The 03 04 seems to be a 6.5 inch screen compared to the 05-07 which is a 7inch. I actually have both so i can compare em side by side.

This obviously makes the install much tougher assuming i continue with the 7" touch screen installation. Im considering cutting my losses and scrapping the project... need to do some more dry fitment with my 7" lilliput screen... so far i think i can find a way to get the main board to fit (with some major cutting) but need to confirm i can fit the extra planar board in a as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by thehump
Hey Dracov, thanks i will consider that option for my friend.

I have a major problem though. The 03 04 seems to be a 6.5 inch screen compared to the 05-07 which is a 7inch. I actually have both so i can compare em side by side.

This obviously makes the install much tougher assuming i continue with the 7" touch screen installation. Im considering cutting my losses and scrapping the project... need to do some more dry fitment with my 7" lilliput screen... so far i think i can find a way to get the main board to fit (with some major cutting) but need to confirm i can fit the extra planar board in a as well.
i`ve actually been hoping to see if anyone could do something like this as well. i have a 05 coupe and i actually bought the lilliput 7" monitor as well since it has hdmi ports and the screen resolution is sharp and clear but the housing is a tad bit too big since it measures 8.5" and my cubby is around 7.5"

hopefully someone has any advices on getting it motorized or at least slide up and down as well as having the housing match the brush aluminum of the whole center console. thanks!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
i got a 7" screen into a 03 04 screen housing..the screen sizes seem the same

Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by blAk mAx
i got a 7" screen into a 03 04 screen housing..the screen sizes seem the same
hi Blak Max,

did you use the stock screen housing? any pics you can provide?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
stock screen

stock screen next to screen i installed

another screen i was trying to use..

problem im running into is the circuit boards are a little too big

Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Hey Dracov,

I have the screen mounted in the nav housing, and am about to move the unit into the car. I was wondering if you had any more detailed pics of the positioning of the vga cable. The problem I am currently running into is that the housing will not drop back in completely because of the cable. I plan on cutting the bracket a bit more to accommodate the extra 1/8'' necessary, but I still think there may be a problem when the radio itself is attached in front of the screen.

I see that you ran the cable to the right side of the radio. Is the up/down mechanism affected by the cable positioning at all?

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dracov's CarPC. Stock Navi replacement DIY. Status: in Progress