Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What caused/What I can do about my Volks. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What caused/What I can do about my Volks. (Pics)

Here are my wheels its been like this couple weeks. Is there anything i can do to clear it? I did carwash, i tried wax but nothing really worked.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
wow!!!

remind me not to buy your wheels

volk wheels have a clearcoat on their lip. you treat it like paint. the only downside is that the brakedust that builds up over time will slowly eat away at that clearcoat.

if a wash and some effort still leave the wheels the way they are, you in trouble. my wheels sometime comes out pretty dirty, but a good wash will clean them up. any areas that are stubborn, i take a clay bar and run it across, just like you do with paint.

the claybar helps remove the surface contaminants.

only other suggestion is go get Meguiar's wheel cleaner. get the all purpose one, it is gentle on the clearcoat.

good luck

Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Get some Mother's Aluminum polish. If there is no serious damage it should clear them right up with the proper elbow grease. If that does not work the clear coat needs to be stripped completely off and the lips need to polished by a professional.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you got some chemicals on their you shouldn't of.

Do you wash the car yourself?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silver g
Get some Mother's Aluminum polish. If there is no serious damage it should clear them right up with the proper elbow grease. If that does not work the clear coat needs to be stripped completely off and the lips need to polished by a professional.
+1, i used to use mothers polish on my aluminum rims on a previous vehicle and always satisfied.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks like you may have used a cleaner chemical you shouldn't have.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like break dust building and some water spots or acid wheel cleaner on alum wheels. Either way a metal polish or chemical cleaner should clear that up. My first recommendation would be Klasse All In One. Second would be P21S metal soap. Third would be Werkstatt's Prime Strong.

In the future it would be wise to use a non caustic or acidic wheel cleaner on polished aluminum or chrome wheels.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
volk rims are anodized, not clearcoated, so you can't treat them the same as paint. The anodizing is ruined on those rims, and besides restripping them and having them refinished, you don't have many choices. Aluminum polish is meant for bare aluminum or chrome, not coated aluminum. I would just have them stripped and then have a shop clearcoat them.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Poor Volks.................

Wow, what was used to clean those wheels? Looks
like someone used toilet bowl cleaner! Your only
option is to have them polished and clearcoated now.
That's about a $100 per wheel in Ca but cheaper
than buying new wheels. They will look better when
you get them back than when they were new if done
right! LOL

Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM
how did they get that way?

Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
volk rims are anodized, not clearcoated, so you can't treat them the same as paint. The anodizing is ruined on those rims, and besides restripping them and having them refinished, you don't have many choices. Aluminum polish is meant for bare aluminum or chrome, not coated aluminum. I would just have them stripped and then have a shop clearcoat them.
I believe anodizing is a form of clear coating (Correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, having a shop clear coat them will only be a temporary fix. Eventually the clear coat will come off and or fade. Another solution would be to take the rims apart and have the lips chromed. There was a 350Z in last months Modified Magazine that did this with the GTC's they put on it. Less upkeep and they look sick.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Concours d'Elegance
From my experience, that looks like a classic case of blushing/dulling aluminum. Caused by a caustic cleaner, this can be removed with a metal polish and a bit of time/effort.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by silver g
I believe anodizing is a form of clear coating (Correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, having a shop clear coat them will only be a temporary fix. Eventually the clear coat will come off and or fade. Another solution would be to take the rims apart and have the lips chromed. There was a 350Z in last months Modified Magazine that did this with the GTC's they put on it. Less upkeep and they look sick.

anodizing is in fact putting a coat on the aluminum surface however, the anodizing process is actually a chemical one in which an oxide layer is grown and later hardens as aluminum hydrate. so it's not like paint clear coat where you just apply it over the surface.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM
^ Thanks for the clarification. I have heard that it strengthens the aluminum as well. Any truth to that?

Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on your definition of strengthen, it helps prevent scratching that occurs on the surface because aluminum is so soft, because the oxide form is more resistant to damage than bare aluminum. However, if you are refering to actually strengthening the entire aluminum piece that is not true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What caused/What I can do about my Volks. (Pics)