Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What caused/What I can do about my Volks. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35stilez
From my experience, that looks like a classic case of blushing/dulling aluminum. Caused by a caustic cleaner, this can be removed with a metal polish and a bit of time/effort.
When using a metal polish, aren't you actually just removing the anodized coating by doing this? Metal polishes contain abrasive which normally remove oxidation on oncoated wheels, so if you rub enough to remove the damage, usually that will strip the anodizing off in those spots anyways, then you will just end up with an uncoated wheel.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Concours d'Elegance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
When using a metal polish, aren't you actually just removing the anodized coating by doing this? Metal polishes contain abrasive which normally remove oxidation on oncoated wheels, so if you rub enough to remove the damage, usually that will strip the anodizing off in those spots anyways, then you will just end up with an uncoated wheel.

Most metal polishes on the market have strong chemical cleaners with a small amount of physical cleaners. Using a standard applicator, you will have to rub for a long time before you screw anything up.

Furthermore, the lips are in rough shape to begin with. This would be the most cost effective method to fixing them.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drsifu1
wow!!!

remind me not to buy your wheels

volk wheels have a clearcoat on their lip. you treat it like paint. the only downside is that the brakedust that builds up over time will slowly eat away at that clearcoat.

if a wash and some effort still leave the wheels the way they are, you in trouble. my wheels sometime comes out pretty dirty, but a good wash will clean them up. any areas that are stubborn, i take a clay bar and run it across, just like you do with paint.

the claybar helps remove the surface contaminants.

only other suggestion is go get Meguiar's wheel cleaner. get the all purpose one, it is gentle on the clearcoat.

good luck

NOT CLEARCOAT

The spokes and painted sections are clearcoated. The lips are actually ANODIZED. You used a acidic or basic chemical that stained or stripped the anodized metal. All you can do it polish it till you get the steel. The coat of anodized metal is gone.

I see wheels like this all the time. My wheels are acutally similar too. Just keep polishing em and it will hide the imperfections a lil better.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 AM
i would say try using agressive clay on them

Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LIUser
i would say try using agressive clay on them

clay will not work; it is effective only to remove surface contaminants. this is a case of a damaged anodized surface...

Old 07-22-2006, 06:49 PM
^^ Correct

The best you can do it strip the lip with a high speed polish and/or sand blast then repolish them as steel/aluminum polished lips.