Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tested some new products this weekend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tested some new products this weekend.

New products tested (sorry no pictures due to crappy camera):

1. Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant
2. Meguiars #17 & #10 (Plastic Cleaner & Polish)
3. Mothers PowerBall Mini Polishing Tool
4. Diamondite Glass Cleaning System Kit
5. Lexol Spray Leather Cleaner & Neatsfoot Leather Dressing

Here are my impressions:

1. The Meguiars Sealant went on (by hand) and off (orbital buffer) with ease. It doesn't have the same shine as Zaino, but it was impressive looking either way. I had been using Mequiars #20 Polymer Sealant, but I've been told it is more of a blend of natural and synthetic compounds. So I think I'll stick with this new synthetic sealant for the time being.

2. The Meguiars plastic cleaner and polish worked very well on the headlights, tailights and instrument panel. I can definitely feel the results after running my hands across the plastic.

3. I used the Mothers Mini PowerBall on my rims after applying Wheel Wax. It didn't quite get all of the wax off, but it definitely cut down the time to remove it. Also, the rims seem to have more luster after attaching the tool to my Makita drill.

4. I absolutely hated the Diamondite Glass Cleaning System Kit. It consists of a spray on clay, spray on cleaner and spray on shield. The clay was tough to apply and even tougher to remove, in fact, the saupplied cleaner couldn't quite remove it all. I had to use a different cleaner just to remove it. I still haven't tried the shield, fearing that it would look bad and not come off. Overall, big thumbs down.

5. The Lexol products seemed to work fairly well, but the verdict is still out. I might have to go back to using Tanner's Preserve products.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
blancmax,

Thanks for posting your project and impressions..

Can you tell me if the synthetic sealant is a last step product, or do you have to prep (strip wax) the finish before using it?
I've read good things on Autopia about this product but thought the finish needed to be prepped and then a LSP like Megs #16 or #7 were applied over it.

I'm asking because you mention it not having same shine as Zaino... I've been using Meg's #16 blue carnuba and then #7 show car glaze and have been amazed at the wet-looking reflective shine.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
#21 is a LSP, and doesn't require prepping the surface first. It contains a certain amount of cleaners to prepare the surface for the sealant to stick to. I personally use #20, and have used #21, and they are very similar in appearance, though I'd give #21 a slight advantage in durability and shine. It only comes in the large size container from meguiars, but the cost is pretty cheap compared to alot of products( IE Zaino). I would say you can get at least 4 months of durability out of #21 or #20. A zaino finish is indeed more "shiny" but it has too much of that sealant look to it compared to #20 or #21. #21 is only $43+ship for a 64oz size that should last you forever. I prefer the look and ease compared to zaino because it doesn't require mixing and wasting product when it provides 90+% of the shine and durability of zaino.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
blancmax,

Thanks for posting your project and impressions..

I've read good things on Autopia about this product but thought the finish needed to be prepped and then a LSP like Megs #16 or #7 were applied over it.

I'm asking because you mention it not having same shine as Zaino... I've been using Meg's #16 blue carnuba and then #7 show car glaze and have been amazed at the wet-looking reflective shine.
I applied a coat #26 Hi Tech Liquid Wax the next day, but I think I might just use the #21 by itself next time. The shine is less bright but deeper with the #26 on top.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the plastic look after you apply the cleaner and polish? does it have that greasy feel to it or no

Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ferrarimanic360
how does the plastic look after you apply the cleaner and polish? does it have that greasy feel to it or no
It's not greasy, it feels more like a slick coating, but dry to the touch.