Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Touch free car wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Southenn California and from my experience it's not the carwash that you have to worry about. After the car is finished with the wrinse cycle, the car passes through a blower which doesn't get the car completely dry. The problem is when the workers come to wipe down your car. They use towels that haven't been changed out for a while. I'm assuming they are not the softest towels around.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through the gas station touch free car wash and it works great. Nothing touches your car, of course there are some water spots since nothing touches the car besides water and air (oh and b.s. wax). Been keepin my G clean now for a few weeks with no damage to the paint or wheels.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM
what about self service car wash with power washers n such?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Those often pick up dirt from cars that stay in the brushes. I don't really trust those. Unless they clean purely with water pressure, I would not risk it.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
If the wash uses brushes or has someone drying your paint I would NEVER go there. In the freezing winter I occasionally will got to a touch free wash just to get the salt off. I do this knowing I'll have to polish some watermarks out. The wash by me uses a water filter so its not too bad. Even with a good polishing job and coat of sealant on the paint it still doesn't clean the paint too well.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Brian
Originally Posted by Pska
You should avoid any type of drive-through car wash, touchless or not. as MDE83 stated, they leave your car wet and its tempting to hand dry it, but the result will be you mashing the left-behind grime into your paint.

The justification that you want salt and snow etc to get off your car is, well not a very good one. The fact is that unless you are storing your car in a heated garage where all the salt/slush is melting every night, you really are better off waiting until spring to wash your car! The salt is only activated when it is wet and warm, thus parking your car outside, the salt is just sitting ontop of you (hopefully waxed) car and is doing no damage at all.

If you can stand to have a dirty-looking car in the winter, I would recommend you jsut leave it, and if you cannot, I would suggest going to a professional detailer in town, where they have a heated garage, and can properly wash and DRY your car fully.

FYI, I detailed cars for a living for approx 5 years, (not anymore) and I can tell you as long as you wax your car in the fall before the snow starts, you should make it out unscathed! Just be sure to use multiple mits in the spring, along with a high-pressure washer

That's so true. Good point.