Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Touch free car wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Touch free car wash?

How safe are car washes that advertise touch free? I haven't had time to wash my car and I would just like to get some of the dust off. Will I escape scratch free, I've never used one. I've used a regular one with a loaner car and it scratched the hell out of the side and I hate those blowers that slam down on the car, does the touch free do this?

Old 09-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
DO NOT USE THE TOUCH FREE CAR WASHES!!!! They will mess up your paint so bad...strip off wax and put swirl marks in the paint that you couldnt even believe. I made the mistake of taking it through one once and my car looked like *** afterwords. If you dont have time to wash the car just dump some laudry soap on it (laurdy soap will not take off wax) and blast it with the hose.......

Personally i would just leave it alone until i had time to wash it.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up on the automatic ones - they are not aggressive enough to get dirt off the car let alone do any damage.

I use a manual wand-type touch free regularly. The manual one near me uses hot water so I can use it through the winter.

When I use it I put my $1.75 in and wet the car down with pre-wash then cover it in soap. This gets off everything except the surface grime. I let the money run out and quickly go over the whole car with a sponge, then put more cash in and finish it off. I then dry it with a california blade and microfiber towels. Works for me.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, thanks guys. I will wash it on sunday when I get to my parents :/

Old 09-16-2006, 04:16 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
the way i see it, is that the people that work at carwashes dont give 2 ***** about your car. there job is to get the dirt off it as fast as they can, and make money, sooo i would go to a carwash if i was you.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
sucks but its not easy here in the northeast especially during the cold months where its not exactly easy washing the car in the driveway . i guess swirl marks and slight scratches are part of ownership when it comes to having a car but its less aggravating when you dont own a black or dark car. thats why mines is red

Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about "laser" washes. They only use water and nothing touches your car but water, soap, and some pink/purple stuff they call wax. The water is high pressure and unlike regular car washes cleans the back of your car as well. I don't know how you could get swirl marks from water, but I'm no expert. I figure it's better than having bird sh*t on your car for a week.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
I am assuming you are talking about "laser" washes. They only use water and nothing touches your car but water, soap, and some pink/purple stuff they call wax. The water is high pressure and unlike regular car washes cleans the back of your car as well. I don't know how you could get swirl marks from water, but I'm no expert. I figure it's better than having bird sh*t on your car for a week.
+1 the laser washes do not touch your car and cannot leave any kind of swirl marks.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Have no problem so far ... the laser car wash around me is pretty good...
as long as you don't have urethane aftermarket kit...you should be OK (coz my front bumper paint got peeled of last time, I guess my bodyshop use less anti-flex paint) ...otherwise, tried to find the one with less pressure...

Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
WRAH
***Come on guys READ the f*cking thing before you respond! ****

As stated touch free washes, won't damage your car. The harsher soaps high pressure will strip some wax, but won't remove all that much. They are great for winter use!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by WRAH
okey Dokey.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
In case you didn't notice, I did f*cking read it

As stated touch free washes, won't damage your car. The harsher soaps high pressure will strip some wax, but won't remove all that much. They are great for winter use!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

+1, You guys gotta read before you respond.

I use the the touchless car washes during the winter, and they work great. I would much rather wash my car myself by hand, but when it is bitterly cold in January this is a great alternative.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
+1, You guys gotta read before you respond.

I use the the touchless car washes during the winter, and they work great. I would much rather wash my car myself by hand, but when it is bitterly cold in January this is a great alternative.

dawg i live in Chitown and gets it mad cold here and I jus wash the ride in the garage.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by memorex
dawg i live in Chitown and gets it mad cold here and I jus wash the ride in the garage.
I have a huge detached two car garage, however it is unheated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Touch free car wash?