Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

necessary to polish a new car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
necessary to polish a new car?

i just got my g35c last thursday, and its starting to get dirty and i would like to wash it and wax it, ive never polished a car before, but since this is a brand new car do i really need to polish? from what i understand is that polishing is only for old cars and old paint jobs, but on new cars you dont need to polish, is that right? i want to wash and wax my car, how often do you guys wax your cars? i have to park outside in the hot sun in texas all day long at work and i want it to have as much protection as possible, plus the car is black... too many steps these days to detailing a car, polish, wax, wash, claybar, quick detail, etc...

Old 10-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: necessary to polish a new car?

nyckid,

if you are obsessed about the car's finish, then you may want to polish the car prior to wax. after you're done washing, you should inspect the finish. when you do, you'll probably find some dealer installed swirl marks. since polishes have mild abrasives, they will remove the swirls by introducing finer ones.

if the swirls are minor, and you don't really care, then a sealant prior to the wax may be the way to go. so you're order would be:

wash
clay
polish (if necessary)
seal
wax

Old 10-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Running for his life!!

I get confused when people talk about polishing and waxing. To me they are the same thing, depending on what product you are using.

Anyways what nyckid said. I suggest a sealant like Zainos. They have the best product to hide little swirlmarks, Z5.

After your through with that, use Zainos Z2 on top of that. I'm pretty sure use Z5 and a wax their after it will not bond right.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 10-20-2003, 12:48 PM

Polish contains abrasives that remove oxidization and other imperfections. Wax is just that, a wax with no abrasives.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 10-20-2003, 06:59 PM

ok so let me get this straight, i should wash my car using dawn to strip any wax or whatever coat thats on my car now, and then dry it with microfiber towers... after that i use a claybar to remove any other stubborn stains. bird poop, or whatever and then i polish, and then i apply the wax? is this correct?

how often do i need to polish? i hope its not everytime i wash my car... i know that i plan on waxing my car once every 2 months or so... and washing it maybe once to twice a month...

for the claybar method, how does this work? you just apply clay onto the surface and pull the clay off? thats it? does this work really well to remove stubborn stains like bird crap, water spots, bug guts, etc?

do you guys apply wax to your windows? so that the water beads off? or do you use rain-x? i hear the rain-x hazes sometimes... so im not sure what to do...

and do those bug sponges work well? the sponge with some white mesh on the outside? it looks like any ordinary sponge with just rope around it... not sure how that would help remove bug stains

Old 10-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

i don't use polish since i put CG on my car. the claybar works well (just read the instructions that come with it). you use the lube/detailing spray that comes with the claybar and run it across your car, not "pull the clay off" (??). as for the windows, a lot of us use rain-x. the haze is supposed to be there when you first apply it (again, read the instructions on the bottle) and then you buff it out until the haze goes away. no clue about the bug sponges, but i've seen them. i just wash as much as i can get off and then sometimes use bug & tar remover for the tougher crap.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 10-20-2003, 07:20 PM

nyckid,

you only need to wash your car when you want to apply zaino, or any other sealant that will have trouble bonding to carnuba wax. since this is the first time you're washing the car, i would just use regular car wash.

polish only when you need to as polishing slowly abrades away at the clearcoat.

a claybar is just that, a claybar. you use it to gently rubaway contamination that washing does not remove. when you clay you apply some type of lubricant because you can't rub clay dry on the paint's finish.

while all this seems overwhelming, you really need to learn how to use the search function. alot of this information has been covered several times over.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 PM

ahh ok, so i guess i dont need to polish then, my car is brand new, and like you said it will slowly eat away the car's clearcoat...

so what i'll prolly do for my 1st car wash is, maybe dawn wash it to strip the wax, and then dry it, and then wax it with meguiars gold class wax until my CG quick gets here..., when that does get here i'll have to rewash with dawn and strip the meguiar wa off so that i can apply the CG quick on it...

What car wash liquid do you guys recommend to help seal in the wax for the longest time? what brand

Old 10-21-2003, 12:15 AM

nyckid, a black car in the Texas heat -- no regular carnauba wax will last very long. You should go with a polymer.

If you have purchased CG, why don't you use the CG wash then. It's supposed to help maintain and enhance the CG protection that you paid for in the first place. For regular wax, there isn't any need to use a car wash from the same line, but for polymers like CG, a complimentary wash should help maintain and enhance.

I am a Zaino user, and I do find the Zaino wash does help enhance the shine and protection of Zaino. [note also, product names can be confusing... e.g. the Zaino "polish" doesn't contain any abrasives, so it's not really a "polish", but is a polymer sealant/wax].

If your new paint has no swirls, then no need to polish. If your new paint feels smooth, then no need to clay. Unless your dealer messed up in the preparation, you likely don't need to polish or clay a new car's paint.